This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Homemade sweet chili sauce is the perfect dipping sauce to serve with chicken, seafood, and fried appetizers. It’s a deliciously sweet and sour condiment full of Thai-inspired flavors like sugar, vinegar, and red chili paste!
You are going to love the versatility and taste of this sweet chili sauce. It will instantly become your favorite sauce because it works with so many dishes and appetizers. I always bring it to the dinner table because it’s the best! Try and serve it alongside some egg rolls, chicken, or the best grilled shrimp.
What Does Sweet Chili Sauce Taste Like?
Sweet chili sauce is the perfect combination of sweet and tangy with just the right amount of spicy! All of the flavors complement each other and make your tastebuds sing! Also known as Thai sweet chili sauce, this sauce is a must when serving Asian cuisine. It’s easy to make at home because of its simple ingredients. It’s so much better than buying store-bought!
This incredible sauce is known for being both sweet and savory. I love the balance of all the flavors! The beauty of making your own sauce is that you can control the flavors and make it just how you like it. You’re also going to want to try my other homemade Asian-inspired sauces like this yum yum sauce, hoisin, or homemade teriyaki sauce.
What Is Sweet Chili Sauce Made Of?
Most of these ingredients you will have on hand, but they are also easy to find at any grocery store. The ingredients come together to create the most flavorful end result. You’re going to LOVE it! And the best part of this amazing sauce is that it enhances foods and makes them taste even better!
- Rice Vinegar: Vinegar is the sour flavor that is key in this recipe. Use unseasoned rice vinegar because it helps with the overall flavor.
- Water: Water helps dilute some of the strong flavors in the sauce.
- Granulated Sugar: This yummy sauce is definitely on the sweet side, so don’t forget the sugar!
- Soy Sauce: I like to use low-sodium soy sauce!
- Sambal Oelek: Storebought chili garlic paste is the easiest and best way to achieve the flavor of this sauce. Find it in the Asian aisle at the store and look for the bright green lid! Some recipes call for red pepper flakes but the sambal oelek recreates it perfectly.
- Garlic: Minced garlic adds great depth and flavor.
- Ginger: Ground ginger or ginger paste both work great in this recipe. You can follow the recipe card below for exact amounts.
- Cornstarch: Cornstarch is what helps thicken the sauce.
- Water: Just a little bit of water mixed with the cornstarch helps to incorporate it better and prevent lumps.
Sweet Chili Sauce Recipe
This is the perfect quick and easy recipe to make and it comes together in just minutes. Really, all you have to do is mix your ingredients together! You can easily make it for all of your dipping needs. Homemade sauces are the best because they’re inexpensive to make and healthier for you too!
- Heat Ingredients: Combine the rice vinegar, water, sugar, soy sauce, sambal oelek, garlic, and ginger in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Stir: Stir regularly until the sugar is dissolved.
- Mix Cornstarch and Water: Whisk together the cornstarch and remaining water in a small bowl then add the cornstarch mixture to the saucepan. Stir continually until thickened for about 1 minute.
- Cool: Lastly, let the sauce cool completely, then pour it into an airtight jar and store it in the refrigerator.
- Serve: Makes about 1 cup of sauce.
What To Serve This Sauce With
Sweet chili sauce can be served with so many delicious foods. It’s the perfect dipping sauce or marinade! I know you’re going to love everything you can serve this amazing sauce with! Some of my favorites are meat, appetizers, and fish. My kids love throwing anything in the air fryer to dip this yummy sauce in.
- Add it to Protein: Wait until you try it on your main dish! Chicken, meatballs, steak, or any kind of fish and shellfish taste delicious with this sweet chili sauce.
- Add it to Your Veggies: If you have a side of steamed or roasted vegetables, try drizzling this sauce on top. It’s a great way to bring out some delicious flavors in your veggies.
- Dip for Appetizers: You have got to try sweet chili sauce as a dip for your sides and appetizers! I love it with some potstickers or wontons. And even with some French bread or chicken nuggets! This sauce is so versatile. It goes with everything!
- Tofu: Tofu always needs extra flavor, so try it with this sauce!
- Rice and Noodles: I know, it sounds like an interesting combo, but you won’t be able to stop eating it! Try it with some fried rice or rice noodles. They are a match made in heaven!
How To Store Leftover Sauce
This sweet chili sauce is perfect to make ahead as the flavors actually meld together and it just gets better with time. I also love to make a double batch of this sauce because it disappears so quickly! You’re going to love having it in your fridge ready to use anytime.
- In the Refrigerator: Use your homemade chili sauce sauce immediately as needed, and then store it in a tightly sealed jar or container for up to two weeks.
- In the Freezer: Store your hoisin sauce in an airtight container or jar. It will keep for up to 3 months!
- To Thaw Frozen Sauce: Reheat in the microwave or over the stove to warm through until it is back to its normal consistency.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Sweet Chili Sauce
- Combine the rice vinegar, water, sugar, soy sauce, sambal oelek, garlic, and ginger in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Stir regularly until the sugar is dissolved.
- Whisk together the cornstarch and remaining water in a small bowl. Add the cornstarch mixture to the saucepan. Stir continually until thickened, about 1 minute.
- Let the sauce cool completely, pour into an airtight jar and store in the refrigerator.
- Makes about 1 cup of sauce.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.