Air Fryer Cream Cheese Wontons are creamy and smooth inside and crispy golden outside. These wontons are the perfect appetizer or snack!
Air Fryer Wontons
The first thing my kids go for at a Chinese buffet are the cream cheese wontons. Light and crispy on the outside and filled with creamy smooth cheese filling, they are truly addicting. Making them at home is so easy and so good, you may never order out again. Air fryer cream cheese wontons made at home means that every wonton is filled to the brim with savory filling. You can eat as many as you can make and no one will count how many times you went back and forth to the buffet line.
Air Fryer wontons are so good, quick and easy. You’ll want to make them every night. These hot crispy outsides, and warm oozy tasty insides, are a perfect marriage of American and Chinese cuisine. Pair them with some of my Chinese favorites for a restaurant style meal that’s half the price, but twice as nice! Try these cream cheese wontons with Sweet and Sour Chicken, Kung Pao Chicken, or Firecracker chicken.
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Wontons
Simple ingredients go into these air fryer cream cheese wontons. Wonton wrappers can usually be found in your local grocery store. If you have an Asian Market nearby, look there as well.
- Cream Cheese: You can use low fat cream cheese, soften in the microwave on high for about 20 sec.
- Green Onion: Finely chop the onions to avoid large chunks
- Garlic Powder: Adds a nice subtle savoriness
- Salt: Helps to cut the sweetness of the cream cheese
- Wonton Wrappers: Look for these in your grocery store often near the produce in the refrigerator section or an Asian specialty store.
- Oil Spray: This helps the wontons crisp up nicely.
Making Cream Cheese Wontons in the Air Fryer
The hardest part to making these air fryer wontons is the fold. But it’s so easy and forgiving, you’ll find yourself whipping them out in no time. Super quick and easy to make you’ll be able to pacify any craving you have.
- Beat: In a small bowl add the cream cheese, green onions, garlic powder and salt and beat until creamy.
- Fold: Lay a wonton wrapper on a non stick surface. With your finger wet the edges of the wonton wrapper. Add about a teaspoon of the cream cheese filling and bring up each corner creating a star and seal tightly.
- Bake: Spray the basket of an air fryer with olive oil spray. Add the wontons to the basket and lightly spray with olive oil. Cook at 370 degrees for 8 minutes. Check to see if they are golden and cook for an additional 2 minutes if needed.
Tips and Tricks for the Best Wontons
Cream cheese wontons are an excellent appetizer, perfect for any party or occasion. I love using the air fryer because that means less oil and fat I’m serving loved ones. But it still has all the crispiness and deliciousness of fried!
- Wonton Wrappers: Wrappers can dry out quickly so cover the ones you are not using with a damp paper towel, or plastic to keep them moist while you work. Work in small batches if that helps.
- Folding: There is no wrong way to fold a wonton. Search ideas on the internet or create your own fold. The key is to make sure they are sealed so the creamy goodness doesn’t leak during baking.
- Sealing: If you struggle to keep them sealed try using a well beaten egg mixed with a Tablespoon of water.
- Just Damp: Over wetting the wrappers will cause them to be soggy and not seal at all. A little bit goes a long way.
- Placing: Put made wontons on parchment paper while finishing the others to prevent them from sticking to other surfaces.
- Don’t Over Crowd: To get the crispiest results don’t over fill or layer the wontons in the air fryer. Make sure they have plenty of space for the air to cook them all the way around.
- Frying: If you don’t have an air fryer these scrumptious wontons can be made by frying. You’ll find the best recipe here.
Fillings and Sauces for Air Fryer Wontons
Air frying makes everything easier and appetizers are no exception. I love making crispy egg rolls, spicy chicken wings and even hand held pies in the air fryer. It’s so awesome to have the mess contained to the air fryer and not all over my kitchen. Because it’s so easy you’ll want to make them over and over so you can try different wonton variations and sauces.
- Fillings: You can get creative with the insides. Try adding sriracha or hot sauce to spice it up a bit. Leave out the onions and garlic and put in drained crushed pineapple and or coconut for a sweeter side. Add bacon and chives or strawberries and powdered sugar. The possibilities are as endless as your imagination.
- Sauce: These can be served with your favorite sweet and sour sauce, Thai sweet chili sauce, or any of your other favorite sauces.
Storing Crispy Air Fryer Cream Cheese Wontons
Air fryer cream cheese wontons are best eaten the day they are made. But if you are lucky enough to have leftovers, these wontons are easy to store and reheat.
- Refrigerator: Cooked wontons can be refrigerated in single layers separated by paper towel in a sealed container for up to 2 days. Reheat in the air fryer at 400 for 2 min or till crisp, or use a baking tray in the oven at 325 for 5-8 minutes.
- Freeze Uncooked Wontons: They can be made ahead of time and frozen till needed. Make Cream Cheese Wontons according to directions. Place in single layer on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and freeze for 1 hour. Place frozen wontons in a gallon freezer bag. Air Fry straight from the freezer just add a few more minutes to frying time.
- Cooked Wontons Frozen: Freeze the same way you would uncooked wontons and warm up the same as well. Perfect for a quick appetizer on the fly.
More Amazing Asian Appetizers
We love Asian inspired dishes at our house. Any night is a good night to cook one of these insanely delicious appetizers. Make them for a party or turn them into a meal. They are so good, it doesn’t matter.
- Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps
- Amazing Chicken Potstickers
- Egg Rolls- Super Crispy
- Easy Teriyaki Meatballs
- Copycat Bang Bang Shrimp
Air Fryer Cream Cheese Wontons
- 8 ounce cream cheese softened
- 2 Tablespoons green onion finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- wonton wrappers
- olive oil spray
- In a small bowl add the cream cheese, green onions, garlic powder and salt and beat until creamy.
- Lay a wonton wrapper on a non stick surface. With your finger wet the edges of the wonton wrapper. Add about a teaspoon of the cream cheese filling and bring up each corner creating a star and seal tightly.
- Spray the basket of an air fryer with olive oil spray. Add the wontons to the basket and lightly spray with olive oil. Cook at 370 degrees for 8 minutes. Check to see if they are golden and cook for an additional 2 minutes if needed.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.