Slow Cooker Orange Chicken

Be sure to become a follower to my blog and like my facebook page, or pinterest for the latest and greatest!

I think this recipe topped my list of all time favorite meals.  It was beyond amazing.  This tasted like it was from a restaurant.  Everything about this recipe was perfect.  The sauce was thick, the chicken was cooked to perfection, and the entire family loved it.  My 5 year old that hates everything kept taking bites saying, ‘Mom this is so good!’   I promise this is a recipe that you need in your family too!

Rating: 5 stars  Difficulty of Recipe: 2 stars
Things that I changed:  I kept it the same
Things that I would do differently next time: Nothing at all
Will I make it again?  For sure

Ingredients:
3-4 Boneless Chicken Breasts, chopped into small pieces
1/3 cup flour
olive oil
1/2 t salt
1 t balsamic vinegar
3 T ketchup
6 oz frozen orange juice concentrate (thawed or put in the microwave for 45 seconds)
4 T brown sugar

1. In a bowl mix the orange juice, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, and ketchup.

2. Pour a small amount of oil in the skillet and brown the sides of the flour covered chicken.  The chicken doesn’t need to be fully cooked since it is going in the crockpot.

3. After the chicken is done cooking, pour the pieces into the crockpot.  Then cover the chicken with the sauce mixture and give the pot a stir.

4.  Cook on low 5-6 hours or high 2-3 hours.
Alyssa

Comments

1. says

Hi Alyssa, Thanks for your comment on my candy corn cookies and for the follow! I’m following you back. Your food pix are gorgeous! I’ll be following you on fb and Pinterest too. =) Have a great evening! Let me know if you make the cookies. Today I used the same sugar cookies recipe to make pumpkin shaped cookies for my daughter’s first grade class. We’ll be decorating them tonight. :)

~ Catie

* Happy Halloween!!

2. says

Thank you so much for this fantastic recipe! We LOVE chinese in our house, but I have not had much success making many of our favorite dishes at home. I do make a killer chicken fried rice though, LOL! I will be giving this a try very soon!

3. says

I love the idea of your site! So often I find recipes that look pretty good, but could go horribly wrong (and some have….please don’t ask about the sauteed butternut squash recipe). This looks delish and I will definitely be back on a much more regular basis! Thanks!

4. says

Love your site :) I tried this and it came out super orange-juicy, way too much for my families taste. Do you think the brand of concentrate might make a difference? It was just over powering, sadly :( But its the only recipe that hasn’t been awesome that I’ve tried from here!

• says

That is really strange because my sauce was pretty thick and the orange wasn’t over powering at all or I don’t think my family would have liked it including me… this is my pickiest favorite meal and asks me every week to make orange chicken. You might just want to half the orange juice concentrate if you make it another time… or if it is the orange in general then try my sesame or teryiaki chicken recipe! Those are amazing as well! Hope this helps! I hate when things don’t turn out as expected.

5. says

Hi there! This looks great and I plan on trying it tomorrow.

2 things…do you think adding veggies would diminish the dish? Perhaps red bell peppers or carrots? And if I prepped it the night before, do you think the chicken will be ok after fried and cooled to be stored in the fridge?

6. says

I tried and LOVED it!! I did add a chopped onion and a green bell pepper to the top of it in the crock pot. Also, about 30 minutes before it was done, I added three bags of 10 minute boil in a bag rice (out of the bag) and added about 2 cups of chicken broth. It made a great one scoop dinner without causing more dishes. My husband said that it had, “too much lemon” which was funny given that there is NO lemon. He continued to eat every. single. bite. Thank you for this recipe!!

7. says

Just finished making it and it is delicious. I dont have crock put so put it in heavy dutch oven pan and cooked it for 2 hours on next to lowest setting on my stovetop just above warm and worked beautifully. Didnt boil just simmered. The takehome type is too spicy for me this was just perfect. Thanks

8. Victoria says

Made this tonight for dinner (cut in half because it was just for 2 people) and although it was cooked perfectly and pretty tasty, I felt like it was just kind of a one-note flavor: ORANGE. The concentrated juice, plus sweet ketchup, plus brown sugar, plus balsamic, just made it way too sweet for my liking. Although it was already done cooking, I ended up adding more salt, lots of pepper, some garlic powder, a little soy sauce, and some chopped green onions. The savory flavors did wonders to balance out all the sweetness and our leftovers were much tastier with the added spices. Just my experience with this one. The real value of this recipe is the cooking method – flouring, browning, and then finishing in the crockpot. Now I am excited to try this technique with other sauces! This technique, paired with any good asian flavored sauce, will be fantastic!

9. Danielle says

I cut the orange juice concentrate in half for this recipe like other suggested and it was still too sweet. It literally tasted like orange juice concentrate. I added a few cloves of garlic, some ginger, soy sauce and honey like others suggested on the original recipe but the orange flavor still dominated this dish. I added some red and green peppers in the dish for color and so I didn’t have to make a veggie with it. Would not make this again.

10. Fung says

Hi Thanks for this recipe. Can’t wait to try it. However I was wondering what I could use if I couldn’t find orange juice concentrate. We are craving some ‘American’ style Chinese food. Thanks