A delicious and tangy orange chicken that is made right in your slow cooker! This is better than takeout and a meal that the entire family will love!
I love two things a whole lot in this world. My slow cooker, and chinese food. So whenever I make something that has to do with both of those things, I am in heaven.
I have made this recipe several times for my family. I updated the pictures today (04-1-15). But I did one thing different. I first cooked the chicken in cornstarch and oil on the stove top. This one simple step will make a world of difference. It only takes a few minutes before, and it adds a breading around the chicken that is amazing! I have made it before without doing this step, and it is still yummy! But I highly recommend it.
With the added outside breading, it helped to thicken up the sauce. The breading soaked up all of the amazing flavor. My now 7 year old who has been eating it since he was 4, gobbles this down every time. And he is such a picky eater. If he loves it, then I am convinced your family will too!
A quick and easy slow cooker meal that tastes just as good as takeout!
Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
- 3-4 Boneless Chicken Breasts, chopped into small pieces
- 3 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 t rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- ¾ cup orange marmalade
- 3 T brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pinch of pepper
- In a bowl mix the rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, marmalade, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a ziplock bag, add the cornstarch and chicken. Shake to coat. Pour vegetable oil in the skillet and brown the sides of the covered chicken. The chicken doesn't need to be fully cooked since it is going in the crockpot.
- After the chicken is done cooking, pour the pieces into the crockpot. Then cover the chicken with the sauce mixture and give the pot a stir.
- Cook on low 4-5 hours or high 2-3 hours.