Delicious breaded chicken coated in a sweet and spicy sauce with peppers and peanuts hidden throughout. This is WAY better than any takeout you will have!
I posted this AMAZING Baked Kung Pao Chicken over at Sweet Basil’s pad last year and I can’t believe I forgot to share it with you! Since I posted the recipe over there Carrian has had her sweet little boy and he is already 4 months old. Last week I got to snuggle him and he is literally the cutest thing ever!
As you know I am pretty obsessed with Chinese food! My favorite all time recipe is this baked sweet and sour chicken. I mean seriously. It is better than any takeout you will ever have! Since then I have created many versions of this recipe including Honey Sesame Chicken, Firecracker Chicken, Orange Chicken, and I had to create a Kung Pao Version. And let me tell you… this will blow your mind!
The breading on this chicken is exactly what you would order at a nice chinese restaurant. The technique is spot on and couldn’t be better. My favorite comment that I have gotten about this chicken is, “My husband was checking the garbage because he didn’t believe that I made this. He thought that I ordered take out because it was so good!” The chicken bakes at a low temperature and it browns the chicken up perfectly and thickens up the sauce. Of course, you can just cook the chicken on the stove and toss it in the sauce, but I love how it comes out of the oven and is so delicious.
Kung Pao is one of my favorite kinds. I love how it has just enough of a kick but isn’t too spicy. The peppers and peanuts throughout add a delicious texture and crunch. This dish was absolutely incredible! The ingredients are simple but it is so full of flavor. You won’t even be able to believe how yummy it is when you make it!
As soon as I pulled it out of the oven and had my first bite my mind was blown. This is hands down one of the best things that I have ever made. The flavor turned out perfectly and this is going to be a dish that your family will love! Try it out for yourself. You won’t regret it.
I have created this video for you to see the process! You can skip to the kung pao sauce at 5:35 or straight to the baked chicken technique at 6:52!”
If you love better than takeout you will also love these recipes from Sweet Basil:
Baked Kung Pao Chicken
This Baked Kung Pao Chicken is better than takeout! With a delicious sauce that has just enough of a kick and awesome flavor.
- 3-4 breasts chicken cut into bite sized pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1½ cup cornstarch
- 3 eggs beaten
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red chili paste like Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- green onions chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces and season with salt and pepper.
- In separate bowls, place cornstarch and slightly beaten eggs. Dip chicken into cornstarch then coat in egg mixture. (Yes you dip the chicken in cornstarch first, then the egg.. trust me. :))
- Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook chicken until browned. Place the chicken in a 9 x 13 greased baking dish.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine soy sauce, vinegar, red chili paste, minced garlic, brown sugar, and cornstarch. Pour over chicken and toss to coat. Add the chopped red peppers and peanuts on top. Bake for 1 hour.
- I stirred the chicken every 15 minutes so that it coated them in the sauce.