Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Over Rice

Do you ever make something in the crockpot and think, wow this has been one of the best things that I have made??  Yeah those thoughts came to my mind as I was eating this like a starving pregnant woman.   🙂

This is absolutely fantastic.  As a food blogger, you are constantly making and trying new things.  This will be made again and again at our house.  And when you make something over and over as a food blogger you know that it is good!    The cheesy cream sauce of this chicken and broccoli was the best.  The flavors maintained though out the cooking process.  Then you add in the broccoli and serve it over rice.  A delicious meal all in one!

Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Over Rice
Delicious and creamy chicken and broccoli that you can easily throw into the crockpot that the entire family will love!
Serves: 4-6
  • 4 boneless chicken breasts
  • 14oz can cream of chicken soup
  • 14 oz can cheddar soup
  • 14 oz can chicken broth
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon Cajun seasoning
  • ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1 Cup sour cream
  • 1 12 oz frozen bag broccoli florets or 4 cups fresh broccoli lightly steamed
  • 1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
  1. Spray crockpot with cooking spray and put cream of chicken soup, cheddar soup, chicken broth, salt, cajun seasoning, and garlic salt into the crockpot. Stir the soups and seasonings together until smooth. Place the chicken in the bottom of the crockpot.
  2. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or high 3 hours. The last 30 minutes of cooking, shred the chicken with two forks and add the broccoli, sour cream, and cheese. Cook for about 30 more minutes until the broccoli is tender and heated through.
  3. Serve over white rice and garnish with more shredded cheese if desired.

Recipe Source Red Sky Food

Red Velvet Sugar Cookie Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting

Time to Sparkle Link Party #45

1. Great recipe! This looks and sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing 🙂

Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

• Do you stir in the brocolli, sour cream and cheese or just cook it on top? Also, does the frozen brocolli need to be thawed?

2. Haha, totally agree Alyssa 🙂 I can see why you would make this again and again, it looks and sounds amazing! Love using our crockpot especially in the winter and it’s always wonderful finding new crockpot recipes that turn out great 🙂

3. Definitely making this soon! It reminds me of broccoli cheese soup, but made into a main course. Admittedly, we eat broccoli cheese soup as a main course, but that’s beside the point 😀

• Please make it! We absolutely loved it!! It does kind of remind me of that too! Just has a few extras to make it a meal in one! 🙂

4. This looks delicious Alyssa, my family will love it!

5. This looks great! I’m going to try it today. One question though-can you make it with frozen chicken or do you need to defrost?

• Christin says:

Hi Corin. My slow cooker (Hamilton Beach) says not to cook frozen meats in it, however, I do ALL THE TIME. I’ve never had a problem with it! Just factor in a little more cooking time, but it should be fine. I’ve got this recipe in my slow cooker right now, and the chicken is frozen 🙂

6. Sounds so delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

7. This sounds amazing –I’m looking for some new slow cooker recipes–I’ll be making this recipe this week!

8. Emilie R. says:

This was so easy and delicious. I love crock pot recipes! Thanks for sharing.

9. Does anyone have the nutritional value for this?

• Using the recipe counter on if it were 5 servings the it would be around 340 calories and 14 grams of fat (without the rice). That is using reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and cream of chicken soup.

10. I was excited until I saw chedder cheese soup. Do you have an alternative? I have soy cheese for the chedder. I really want to make this.

• I made my own cheese soup. It’s really easy. You just put some butter in a sauce pan add 2 tbls of flour whisk it together until smith on med heat. Take off heat add 1 cup milk whisk again and put it back on heat until it boils and add 1 cup of shredded cheese then whisk until smooth. I added a little bit of salt.

11. Just made this and instead or using cheddar cheese soup I used nacho cheese soup from
    Campbell’s. Gave it a bit of spice and we loved it! We also put some Mozz Cheese in it and it gave it a good creamy taste. Instead of the sour cream we used plain nonfat yogurt!
    Turned out really great!

12. Has anyone tried this with frozen chicken breasts? I worry the moisture from the frozen chicken might make it to “soupy”

• Hope Kauffman says:

I use frozen every kind of meat in the crockpot and it ALWAYS comes out tender, moist and delicious.

• I have made this with frozen chicken breasts and it has always come out soupy no matter what. Still absolutely delicious though!

• I used frozen chicken breasts as well and it came out soupy as well! Even with a bit of corn starch, I found this was more of a soup than anything (still delicious!) Instead of cooking the rice separately and then spooning the soup over top, I used the soup-yness of the crock pot to make the rice and it worked out perfectly! Nice alternative if you want it to be a bit thicker!

13. I would love to make this without going to the store.. I have 2 cans of cream of broccoli 10 1/2 0z campbells soup and same size for the cheddar soup.. Should I use one or both. I do have only one can of cream of chicken 10 3/4 oz.. Help

14. i don’t have any cheddar cheese soup on hand and was thinking of using a can of cream of potato instead, thoughts?

15. This looks delicious, I can’t wait to try it, thank you!

16. This looks delicious, thank you for sharing!

17. Jennifer says:

I made this last night for my family, and we all loved this meal! The only thing I did different was use frozen chicken tenderloins. I will definitely be making this again!

18. Where dose it say to use frozen chicken breast as some one has stated… my question is do you put in raw chicken thawed.,frozen or do you need to cook the chicken first..

• You put the chicken in raw. I used uncooked chicken breasts. If you use frozen, you just have to increase cooking time a little and make sure the chicken is thoroughly cooked throughout.

19. I am going to try this, but where do you find 14 oz cans of soup in canada. The canned soup I’ve seen is only 10 oz. Hope it works out ok

20. Great idea! This looks good and simple. You can use anything you have in the cupboard for cream soups. Celery, chicken, cheese, potato – though mushroom might be too strong. It’s a wonderful concept. I will be adding red peppers cut into strips or sun-dried tomatoes for added flavor and color. Could use asparagus as it is in season now. I am a total foodie and always embelish recipies I find. Love to photgraph it as well to catalog the creations. If it looks good the kids will eat it! Best thing is to be able to make something with what you have on hand. My inspiration was “Doorknock Dinners”. Keep on cooking! 🙂

21. I’m going to make this recipe for guests and want to double it. If I double the chicken to 8 breasts, do I double each of the other ingredients as well? Also, how much longer will it take in the slow cooker on low or on high? Thanks for your help and a quick response.

22. Caitlin says:

I made this tonight and was disappointed because it was very soupy and not creamy. What did I do wrong?! I used (2) 14 oz cans of cream of chicken soup and 14 ounces of chicken broth. Other than that I followed the recipe to a T. Could it be the length of time or temperature? I’m a new slow cooker.

23. Jennifer Neilly says:

Is there an equally cheesy alternative that can be used for the Cheddar Soup? Not sure if we have that in Canada!

24. I am not much of a cook.. but I thought it may turn out THIS way – and it did! Slight modifications – and BAM! I almost feel like a pro now! Thanks for the inspiration! 🙂 I will be trying out more of your recipes! I tried to click 5 stars! Hope it works!

2 packages boneless chicken breasts
    1 large can cream of chicken soup
    2 small cans cheddar soup
    2 cups cut up potatoes
    ½ teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon garlic salt
    1 Cup sour cream
    1 12 oz frozen bag broccoli florets
    1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese

1. Coat the bottom of the crock pot with olive oil and put cream of chicken soup, cheddar soup, garlic and garlic salt into the crockpot. Stir the soups and seasonings together until smooth. Place the chicken and cut up potatoes in the bottom of the crockpot.
    2.Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or high 3 hours. The last 30 minutes of cooking, add the broccoli, sour cream, and cheese. Cook for about 30 more minutes until the broccoli is tender and heated through.

25. HELP!! I’m actually cooking it right now with about 2 hours left into cooking it and I went to check on it and it seems too liquidy instead of creamy. Is it possible that 14oz of chicken broth is about much as its written in the recipe?

26. I made this following the recipe exactly as written. It was way too runy. What did I do wrong.

• Sometimes the chicken combined with the moisture of a slow cooker can make the sauce runnier at times. I hope it still tasted ok despite the runny sauce. 🙂

27. Making this now and only had 10 oz cans soup so used those and a bit of an addtl can of cream of chicken. Seemed soupy but when i shredded chicken then added broccoli it seems like right consistency. It looks yummy cant wait to try it

28. stephanie says:

Very delicious! I just made it tonight and it turned out great. I poured it over buttered jasmine rice. Yum. I doubled the Cajun and omitted the garlic salt. I also added small pieces of carrot.   The added Cajun wasn’t too spicy. Just a hint of spice. I am looking forward to eating the leftovers.
    Thanks for sharing this recipe. I will be making it again.

29. made this tonight for my family – it was a hit! such great flavor, and super simple! even my toddler (who hates chicken!) kept asking for more. will definitely make this again – thanks!

30. Ann Marie says:

Is the soup condensed soup like Campbells? If not, what brand/kind did you use?

31. Is this recipe using whole chicken breasts or halved? Does this serve 4 or 8 people?

32. My question is like some of the above. Soup usually comes in 10.75 oz cans. Is this what you used, not the 14 oz it states? Or is there a brand out there that is 14 oz?

33. do not use any salt, the chicken broth should be cubes, rather than canned. (too much salt in canned), no garlic salt, rather 4-6 fresh cloves. i also through in a hand full of sliced carrots, good flavor and color.

34. Tiffani Malone says:

Got this in the crock pot now. Can’t wait. I used one huge bone in chicken breast(cut into 3 pieces) that I seared first and skipping on the cheddar soup, I don’t have any on hand. Also adding fresh green beans at the end.

35. Do you have any suggestions or recommendations on what I could use in place of the Cajun seasoning?

36. I’m making this for my son and boyfriend only this is my son is really into fresh veggies
    so now I need to know how many cups of broccoli to use. Help first time slow cooker 🙂

37. I just put this together before my sons football practice I have to tell you I’m excited. The only thing is that I used Velveeta cheese instends of Chesse soup and add only 8 oz of the chicken broth!!! 🙂

38. I made this. It is totally awesome. I also made it without the chicken. It makes a great creamy broccoli soup!

39. I made this night and it is delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

40. Gina Thomas says:

Can I use 10 oz cans for the cheddar soup and the cream of chicken? I went to the store yesterday and I checked up and down the aisle and could not find 14 oz of either.

41. Just finished making this and it is fantastic!!! I used 2 small 10 oz cans of the cheddar soup and added a small red and yellow pepper each for color. I also added a handful of finely chopped mushrooms at the start too for texture and flavor. Definitely a keeper. Leftovers would be great over warm biscuits.

42. I used 1-10oz cream of chicken, 1-10oz cream of celery, and 14 oz chicken broth and it is delicious. Looked too runny til I shredded the chicken and added broccoli, then it was fine. I used plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. Over jasmine rice…yummy!

43. Should have said 4 stars!

44. Made this today and it was so so yummy! Like some of the previous commenters, it turned out way too runny! I will make it this again and omit the broth all together. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

45. Made this with plain nonfat yogurt, cream of chicken soup, and loaded baked potato soup that i had on hand. Mine was also a little runny, i just took out some of the cooking liquid, added a few of tablespoons of flour to make a runny paste and stirred that back in for the last hour of cooking. thickened up well and tasted fantastic!

46. Michelle Mazur says:

I made this recipe today, and hands down it’s the BEST crock pot chicken and broccoli I’ve ever had. I will make this again and again and again! Thank you for sharing!

47. Made this last night for dinner and oh my good gracious it was delicious! Everyone loved it and the leftovers are my lunch today. Definitely a new favorite.

48. This was a hit with the family! I was expecting leftovers for our leftover night but had none! Everyone ate it all on the 1st night and now they keep asking for this dish! Score 1 for mom!

49. I normally don’t write too often on websites, but I think this recipe definitely deserves more appraise. I have made this 5 times now with my family and it is DELICIOUS!! Super easy to make and the whole family loves it. I normally change recipes to my own liking, but this recipe is perfect the way it is. I can’t wait to make it again!

50. DELISH – I actually used two big chicken breasts, substituted cream of chick with herbs, forgot to get sour cream so omitted, and added about 30 baby carrots (put in at the beginning with the chicken. Still made lots! Oh and also did not have Cajun seasoning so added celery salt instead. We loved it!

51. Made this tonight and my daughter and I loved it. She likes pasta, so I served this with penne pasta. She said it reminds her of Panera bread broccoli and cheese soup, but with chicken. Thanks! This is a keeper! the soup cans are 10oz so I used 10oz cream of chicken, 10oz cream of cheese, 10oz chicken broth, and used 6oz sour cream. Either way, you cant mess this recipe up. I used more broccoli and put some hot pepper flakes in it to make it a bit spicy. Thanks!!

52. Can I cook rice in the crockpot the same time as the chicken?? If so, how much rice? Do I add water?

53. I made this tonight for dinner. WOW! it was so filling and good. I was shocked at how cooked the broccoli was.This is a keeper dish with my family.

54. I am excited to make this after all of the positive feedback. I am making it for family dinner night this weekend. About how many adults does this feed???

• I would say between 4-6 depending on big your serving size is. But it is pretty filling with the rice so I think it would definitely feed 4 adults. 🙂

55. what if you are a single guy? How would you scale this back?

56. I made this but used two large chicken breasts. Cut them up and cooked in a skillet. Add to the soup and broth. Was soupy but added two cups of instant rice to crockpot. Tasted it and liked how it tasted without the sour cream or shredded cheese. So left them out and just sprinkled some cheese on top. Cut some calories and tastes just as good.

57. Ashley Burke says:

Found this under weight watchers recipes in Pinterest and there are no nutrition facts or weight watchers points. Any idea what they would be???