This Baked Potato Recipe is easy to make with just Russet potatoes and seasonings. Top it any way you like for the perfect side dish at any meal!
If you love simple, class side dishes, you’ll also enjoy these Buttery Herb Sautéed Mushrooms (these would also make a great topping!), Creamed Spinach (which would be a great addition to these baked potatoes on the table), or these Parmesan Garlic Roasted Potatoes — crispy and flavorful!
Baked Potato Recipe
Even though there aren’t many ingredients in this Baked Potato recipe, I’m sharing all the best tips and tricks to get them just perfect!
Crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside — these are the best baked potatoes I’ve ever had!
A good baked potato recipe is an absolutely must have at some many meals.
Though it can seem simple, you want to make sure you have perfectly seasoned, perfectly cooked potatoes that are ready when you need them!
How to make a baked potato:
There are so many different types of potatoes that it can be hard to know which ones to grab when you’re making baked potatoes.
Most people opt for Russet Potatoes, (the ugly brown ones!) because the skins are thick and get nice and crispy in a hot oven, but the insides are starchy and fluffy.
If you don’t have Russet Potatoes, don’t fear — you can make a baked potato with any variety, the results will just be slightly different.
You may not have skin that is as crispy and they make require a shorter bake time (russet potatoes are often some of the larger ones at the grocery store).
So just be prepared to adjust as you need.
- Clean the potatoes. Just a good rinse with a brush is fine!
- Dry the potatoes. Wet food doesn’t crisp, so give them a pat with a clean towel.
- Rub with oil. Get that crispy skin started!
- Bake once: I like to start with my potatoes in a lower oven, and cook them until they are nice and tender.
- Bake twice: to get the optimal crispy skin, I take them out of the oven, give another good brush with oil and season. Then I turn the oven up and cook them just until the skin is crispy. This way I know both the inside and the outside will be perfect!
What to serve with baked potatoes:
Baked potatoes are the perfect simple side dish that go with just about anything!
Here are a few ideas to complete your dinner:
- Cast Iron Skillet Pork Chops
- Slow Cooker Beef Tips — pour them right over those baked potatoes!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Breast
- Instant Pot Roasted Chicken
More potato side dishes you’ll love!
- Crispy Potatoes with Pesto and Parmesan
- Garlic Herb Instant Pot Potatoes
- Creamy Parmesan Scalloped Potatoes
- Dad’s Famous Mashed Potatoes
Baked Potato Recipe
- 6 small-medium russet potatoes (roughly 110-215 grams each)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Wash and scrub potatoes until clean. Dry with a clean lint-free towel.
- Rub each potato all over with half of the oil (2 tablespoons between 6 potatoes). Pierce the center of each potato with a knife and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until tender. If you have very large potatoes, you may need to add to the cook time.
- Remove from the oven and adjust the temperature to 425 F (use the convection setting if you have it). Brush each potato with remaining oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 425 F for 15-20 minutes, until skins are crispy. Serve.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.