Hawaiian Macaroni Salad

A delicious macaroni pasta salad with ham, pineapple, shredded carrots, and green onions.  It has such amazing flavor and it coated in a sweet and tangy pineapple dressing.

Isn’t it crazy to think that summer is halfway over!  It is kind of a sad thought!  I have been loving the sun and all of the fun activities that come with summer.  Especially the BBQ’s and potlucks!

I always love a good pasta salad when you go to a potluck.  And this pasta salad is truly incredible and unique!

The ingredients are simple but come together so well.  The ham and pineapple give this salad a hawaiian feel and add such delicious flavor.   It doesn’t need a lot added to it  because the ham and pineapple is the star of the show.

But lets just talk about the one amazing thing that sets this macaroni salad apart from the others.  The sweet and tangy pineapple dressing.  It is so phenomenal and gave the salad such great flavor.  It will set your macaroni salad apart from all of the rest and it is sure to be a huge hit!

Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
Serves: 4-6
  • ½ pound dry elbow macaroni, prepared according to package directions and rinsed in cold water
  • 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained (reserve ½ cup liquid for dressing)
  • 2 cups cubed cooked ham
  • ½ cup shredded carrot
  • ¼ cup green onion
  • Pineapple Dressing:
  • ½ cup reserved pineapple juice
  • ½ light mayonnaise
  • ¼ cup plain greek yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1 Tablespoon Sugar
  1. In a large bowl, combine macaroni, pineapple chunks, ham, carrots, and green onion in a bowl. set aside.
  2. In a small bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, greek yogurt, cider vinegar, and sugar. Pour over pasta and stir to coat. Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from Meals.com

Strawberry Banana Bread

Strawberry Banana Bread

Pineapple Pretzel Salad

1. Laura M says:

What are all the dark bits all over the salad? I don’t see anything in the ingredients.

• Possibly pepper.

• Ellen T. says:

I was wondering also If the black specs were pepper since the recipe does not state anywhere to season with salt and pepper. After making it, I searched online to see if I should season my salad. I guess I will try it. Don’t want it too salty though, the ham is probably salty enough.

2. very nice..
    Thank you for the recipe.. 🙂

3. BrooklynBound says:

Has anyone ever tried to make this with Spam? I’m on a one man mission to bring Spam back!

• Haha! The funny thing is my sister in law introduced me to fried rice and uses spam! It tasted amazing! So I say go for the spam! 🙂

4. Whoa! Hold the pineapple juice! I didn’t need nearly a half cup. You may want to add that at the end.

5. How much mayo? 1/2 what?

6. Kristine says:

This is now a family favorite. Thanks!
    The pineapple juice is the right amount because after it chills for a couple of hours the dressing becomes absorbed by the macaroni so try the recipe before paying attention to the above comment then decide.

• Veronica says:

I agree this would taste great with spam as its Hawaiian inspired. Thanks for the tip about the pineapple juice! I poured the whole 1/2C and thought it was too much at first too. Will definitely make again 🙂

7. Can you use light Miracle Whip instead of mayo?

8. If I don’t have apple cider vinegar, what’s a good replacement?

9. Don’t see where pineapple juice is used – assuming I mix into dressing?

10. Is there a substitute for the cider vinegar? Maybe fresh lemon juice?
    The salad sounds delicious. I will try it.

11. Alli Lindor says:

How long will this last if refrigerated? Could you make the day before?

12. just a note in ingredients it says to save pineapple juice and then in dressing instructions it doesn’t say to add it into the mix 🙂

13. This sounds & looks yummy! Can’t wait to try. Thanks so much!

14. I want to take to a potluck, would i keep it cold, and then take it. Itwill be sitting out at least 2 hrs in the shade. any suggestion. I want tomake this bad.

15. I had a recipe that I came up with years ago…. I didn’t write it down 🙁 and can’t remember everything I put i it! This seems close! I also added mandarin oranges and cooked shrimp instead of ham.

16. DELISH!!I added some garlic pepper and cilantro.

17. I make this with spam and also add mandarin oranges . It’s delicious! !