This hearty and delicious soup is full of ham, potatoes, and veggies. The real cheddar cheese inside adds such amazing flavor to this comforting soup! It became an instant favorite at our house!
I know you guys are all into treats and desserts right now. It is crickets when I try to post a savory recipe this time of year, but I couldn’t hold back on this soup any longer! It is one of the BEST soups that we have ever had!
For Thanksgiving, we always like to have ham and turkey. We had a ton of leftover ham and my mom gave me a bunch to take home with me. It has been pretty cold and gloomy here lately, so I instantly knew that I wanted to make a soup.
A soup is great for using up leftover ham. I loved how hearty this soup was. Full of ham, potatoes, carrots, and corn it all comes together so well and makes this soup delicious. But the cheddar base of this soup was hands down my favorite part! You will not believe how amazing the real cheddar cheese tastes and adds such great flavor to this soup. As soon as I had a taste I couldn’t wait for my family to try it!
It was such a huge hit at dinner that the soup pot was completely scraped clean. We loved it at our house and I know that you guys are going to rave about this recipe!
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup sliced carrot
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup butter, cubed
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups cooked ham, cubed
- 1 cup corn
- In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, chicken broth, carrot and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add the milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir the mixture into the potatoes and chicken broth. Stir in cheese until melted. Add ham and corn. Heat though.
Latest posts by Alyssa (see all)
- Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash - October 27, 2016
- Weekly Menu Plan #71 - October 22, 2016
- Salted Caramel Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies - October 17, 2016