Melt-in-your-mouth brown sugar garlic air fryer salmon is juicy, tender and full of flavor. Salmon is so good, especially when it’s cooked right, and the air fryer makes it perfect every time! It’s an easy, hands-off way to make a scrumptious meal.
Serve this amazing salmon with a veggie and starch of choice. You can try some mashed potatoes, roasted lemon honey asparagus or a fresh panzanella salad! Brown sugar garlic salmon is super versatile and works with a variety of sides.
The BEST Air Fryer Salmon
Moist and flaky inside, crispy seasoned outside. Using an air fryer takes all of the guesswork out of making salmon! Sometimes it can be intimidating to cook seafood but it’s so easy. This will turn a weekend meal to a weeknight staple. It’s so quick too! 20 minutes or so and dinner’s on the table. You can even make some air fryer asparagus or broccoli in a snap to go with it! A complete dinner in less than 30 minutes. (Aren’t air fryer recipes the best?!)
Honestly, the combination of brown sugar and garlic is amazing. The sweet and savory is a match made in heaven. The brown sugar caramelizes on the surface of the salmon, adding a subtle sweetness that balances out the pungent garlic. It complements the flavor of salmon so well! Whether you’re a seafood lover or not, this dish is sure to win you over with its unique and addictive flavor! Good thing it’s so easy to make! If you love salmon as much as I do, find my full list of recipes here.
Why Air Frying Salmon Works
Air frying is just the best way to cook salmon for so many reasons.
- Circulating: The way the air fryer cooks the salmon allows the air to circulate cooking the outside to crispy perfection. While the inside is juicy and flaky like it should be!
- Salmon: Because salmon is a firm fish it won’t fall apart in the fryer.
- It’s Fast: It’s no secret anymore that cooking with an air fryer is faster and easier to clean up.
- Heat: Using the air fryer won’t heat up your kitchen and frees up the oven for something else. You are going to love it!
Ingredients for Brown Sugar Garlic Salmon
Sweet meets savory in the ultimate flavor fusion! Brown sugar, garlic, and salmon – the power trio that will make your taste buds sing. Here’s everything you need to put this tasty salmon together! All measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
- Salmon Fillets: This can be made with fresh or previously frozen salmon.
- Kosher Salt and Pepper: Add to taste. I like using kosher salt because it doesn’t have the bitter aftertaste that table salt does.
- Brown Sugar: Provides a rich, sweet flavor and also adds a nice crust.
- Chili Powder: Brings the heat to the sweet.
- Paprika: Adds color and a little heat.
- Italian Seasoning: The perfect blend of herbs!
- Garlic Powder: A nice punch of flavor. You can also use fresh minced garlic!
How to Cook Salmon in the Air Fryer
Who says delicious meals have to be complicated? With an air fryer, whipping up brown sugar garlic salmon is a breeze – just pop it in, set the timer, and voila! A restaurant-quality dish ready in minutes. Now, that’s what we call a tasty hack!
- Rub: Salt and pepper the salmon to taste. In a small bowl mix the brown sugar, chili powder, paprika, Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Rub salmon seasoning into the fillets.
- Bake: Place in the air fryer basket skin-side down. Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes. If you are adding asparagus add it after the first 5 minutes.
Tips for Air Frying Salmon
This air fryer salmon recipe is super easy and will be even better when you follow these extra tips!
- Choosing your Salmon: Both fresh and frozen salmon work for this recipe. Thaw the frozen salmon before cooking. Salmon should be clean, brightly colored, and free from soft spots or discolorations.
- Dry: To help the seasonings stick to the salmon pat it dry with paper towels. Also press the seasonings into the salmon so it stays on the salmon.
- Check if Done: Check the salmon early to make sure you don’t overcook it. You do not want to overcook salmon. Using a meat thermometer, check the thickest part of the salmon. The internal temperature should be 145 degrees F. Remove from the air fryer immediately, it will continue to cook if left in the basket.
- No Thermometer: If you don’t have a meat thermometer you can tell when Salmon is done by the color. When salmon is cooked it turns from a translucent reddish to an opaque pink. Raw salmon is translucent and reddish. When it’s cooked, it turns opaque pink.
Air-fried salmon, like any cooked fish, can last for up to 3-4 days when stored properly in the refrigerator. It’s important to place the leftover salmon in an airtight container or wrap it tightly with plastic wrap before keeping it in the fridge. You can also freeze cooked salmon for up to three months! But let’s be real, who can resist a delicious piece of salmon for that long? It’s always best to enjoy it fresh out of the air fryer.
- Reheating: I always like to reheat my salmon in the air fryer so it keeps that crispy crust. 4-5 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit should do the trick! Try these amazing air fryer brussels sprouts to go with it! It’s a quick and tasty meal.
Air Fryer Salmon
- 1 pound salmon
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper the salmon. In a small bowl add the brown sugar, chili powder, paprika, Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Rub on the salmon.
- In the basket of your air fryer add the salmon skin side down. Turn the air fryer to 400 degrees and cook for 10 minutes. If adding asparagus add to the basket after 5 minutes.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
This is easily 5 stars! No need to make any other salmon recipe now that I’ve had this. Thanks Alyssa
Took longer than 10 minutes. More like 20 minutes to get to 145°
My pregnant wife had been craving salmon and I wanted to try a new recipe. I did 3 half pound fillets cut into strips in 2 batches at 14 minutes each. My wife loved it and my two and a half year old cleaned his plate. Will def make again.
Absolutely the Best Salmon I’ve ever had😋😋😋😋😋😋😋😋😋😋😋😋😋😋😋😋
The best recipe for salmon. I watch for salmon on sale just so I can make this several times a month.
LOVED this! I’m going to add a bit of cayenne next time for a little extra kick.
Not a lover of Salmon.What other fish would you recommend.Thanks
Try this cod recipe instead! Incredible Crispy Parmesan Air Fryer Cod
The spice mixture is spot on. I loved this salmon cooked in the air fryer. I’ve made this several times using skinless salmon pieces and it’s perfect each and every time.
This is the easiest, tastiest way to prepare salmon. It is delicious! I find myself making it weekly. The sweet heat is so good.
Can this be baked? Oven temp and how long?
Try this recipe instead! Garlic Brown Sugar Glazed Salmon (The Best Salmon Ever!)
If using this recipe and not “Garlic Brown Sugar Glazed Salmon” recipe,
is the temp and time as in the other recipe?
Also, what temp should the finished salmon be?
thanx again for this great recipe.
Yes, if you are just using these ingredients instead, you can follow the same cooking instructions on my other brown sugar salmon instructions! The salmon should be 145 degrees when it is fully cooked!
This was incredible!! I had plenty of the rub mix leftover too for another night. Even my picky 9 year old devoured it.
This was absolutely amazing!! Definitely making again and looking forward to it!
Can you use cajun seasoning instead of italian?
Yes, that sounds like a fun twist!
no oil needed?
Do you preheat the air fryer?
Yes, I like to preheat the air fryer before adding in the salmon.
this is looking very easy to make and very delicious. I will make it again and again.
Frozen salmon filet (thawed) worked great too – just took about 8 minutes.
If using skinless salmon does the cooking time.and or temperature need to be adjusted
Yes, just watch the bottom of it in the air fryer and make sure to use cooking spray to avoid it from sticking.
Any recommendations on using skinless salmon for this recipe? I am new to the fish world and learning step by step how to cook it!
Skinless will work as well. Make sure to use spray in the bottom of the air fryer pan to avoid sticking.
This was so easy and delicious!! Will be making again & again!