Garlic Herb Butter Beef Tenderloin is a juicy tenderloin seared and roasted with herb butter seasonings all baked to a buttery perfection! Impress your guests with this beautiful beef tenderloin!
Go all out with this delicious tenderloin meal! Make this a complete meal by adding my Dad’s Famous Mashed Potatoes, Sautéed Brown Butter Garlic Rainbow Carrots and Brown Sugar Cinnamon Baked Apples for a sweet side.
Roasted Garlic Herb Butter Beef Tenderloin
This decadent Garlic Herb Butter Beef Tenderloin is just what you need to make one over the top dinner for the holidays! It is simple and delicious but OH. SO. GOOD! You will have everyone raving over your beef tenderloin.Beef tenderloin is one of the most tender cuts of meat as well as the most desirable pieces of beef.
Special occasions call for a delicious beef tenderloin. My tried and true Garlic Herb Butter Tenderloin is just what you need to enjoy this holiday. It is tender, juicy and slathered with a garlic herb butter that is irresistible to say the least. Make this simple beef steak in less than an hour and enjoy with your friends and family this holiday season!
What Cut of Meat is Best?
Beef tenderloin is one of the leanest meats from a cow. The shape of it is long and narrow and comes from lean muscle located within the loin near the backbone. It is located in-between the sirloin and the top sirloin and stretches towards the short loin.
This is the most tender cut of beef that is available. It is known to be a prize cut of meat, the most decadent above all! Very tender tenderloin and easy to carve through because there is little to no marbling in the cut. The flavoring of the beef is pure deliciousness and cannot be compared!
Ingredients for the Juiciest Tenderloin:
Simple ingredients for a well deserved beef tenderloin. Searing the tenderloin and then adding this garlic herb butter only enhances this beef tenderloin and making it over the top good! You can’t go wrong with this tender piece of meat.
Keeping it simple will bring out all the flavors in the tenderloin as well as the simple garlic herb butter.
- Beef tenderloin: trimmed and tied
- Salt and pepper: just a pinch!
- Olive oil: helps add flavor as well as crisping up the outer layer with
Garlic Herb Butter:
- Butter: tender and buttery pieces of meat in every bite.
- Garlic cloves: minced and sprinkled in the mix.
- Thyme: finely chopped and adds a little dry but subtle amount of seasoning.
- Oregano: finely chopped has more flavoring but still a little bitter.
- Rosemary: finely chopped and has a lemon-pine flavoring.
- Salt and pepper: to taste!
Preparing and Trimming the Beef:
You will notice how little there is to prepare and trim this decadent beef tenderloin. It is all things good and delicious! Usually on most beef tenderloins there is a shiny piece on one side. This is called the “silver skin”. It will need to be trimmed away for best results. It has a chewy and fibrous tissue that retracts any flavoring from penetrating into your tenderloin.
If there is any excess fat from the tenderloin you will want to trim that away as well.
- Cut silver skin off: carefully slide the tip of the knife under the connective tissue, separating and trimming the silver skin away. Keep the knife as close tot he surface as you can. This will help minimize meat loss.
- Remove the chain: also known as the side of muscle needs to be trimmed and cut away also. This looks like a fatty thin piece of meat that is the length of the tenderloin.
- Halve your tenderloin: tenderloins come long and cylinder looking. They usually do not fit in the pan without being cut. It is best to cut the tenderloin in half to create two smaller roasts. Doing this will ensure evenly cooking it through and if someone prefers different temperature of meat it is always nice to have two options for family and friends.
How to Tie a Tenderloin:
Since tenderloin is so soft and tender it is best to hold the tenderloin together with kitchen twine. This will also ensure that your beef tenderloin is cooked evenly in a nice tight bundle. You can ask the butcher to do this or you can attempt it at home.
This is a simple step that doesn’t take long but will have lasting effects that will help make this beef tenderloin even better.
- Use kitchen twine and loop around in sections of the beef tenderloin.
- Loop the string around and tie a snug knot. Spacing the twine about 1 inch apart.
- Continue to repeat these loops and tighten each one enough that the tenderloin does not lose its shape and bulges outward and through the twine.
- You will want to have between 5 and 6 loops total. Then tie it off at the end.
How to Make Garlic Herb Butter Beef Tenderloin:
Start by trimming and preparing the beef tenderloin. Tie your beef tenderloin in a few simple steps. Sear then roast your beef tenderloin to the temperature that you prefer. This is a tried and true recipe that will be loved for those special occasions.
You won’t go wrong with this Garlic Herb Butter Beef Tenderloin!
- Prepare the tenderloin: trim the fat off the beef tenderloin. Cut it in half and tie the roast. Bend the tail in at the end of the roast so that it is tied in even thickness.
- Prepare skillet and sear tenderloin: Preheat a heavy bottom skillet to medium high heat and add the olive oil. Once the olive oil has reached the smoking point, add the roasts and sear each side for 3-4 minutes or until it is golden brown.
- Make the garlic butter spread: Combine the butter, garlic, thyme, oregano, rosemary, salt and pepper. Place the tenderloin in a roasting pan, heavy bottomed skillet, or baking dish. Spread half of the butter on the roast.
- Roast the beef tenderloin: Roast until the temperature reaches just under 140 for medium doneness. Remove from the oven and slather the rest of the garlic butter on top and let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Variations of Flavoring:
I prefer to keep it simple ingredients and flavoring for this beef tenderloin recipe. Beef tenderloin has its own deliciousness without any extra flavoring. You do not need to go all out since the tender meat already has the flavoring it needs.
If you are wanting to enhance your beef tenderloin flavors try these ideas for more options of making the perfect beef tenderloin.
- Pouring gravy over top of the meat.
- Changing or substituting any herbs from fresh to dried works well.
- Top the beef tenderloin with Buttery Herb Sautéed Mushrooms or Garlic Balsamic Mushrooms.
- For the bacon lovers, wrapping it in bacon and cooking is another way to add flavor and more meat.
- Using a creamy sauce to dunk in your beef tenderloin is always a tasty meal.
Beef Temperature Chart:
Once I sear my tenderloin, I will roast it for about 20 to 25 minutes depending on how done I am looking for my roast to be. Roast your beef tenderloin about 5 degrees below the temperature you are wanting to cook at. After it is roasted, the internal temperature is still continuing to rise as it is resting. Your cooked beef tenderloin will rise about 5 to 10 degrees warmer during this resting period. It is best to use a meat thermometer for the most accurate results.
Let it rest at room temperature for about 10 to 15 minutes before slicing to absorb back into the meat and guarantee a more juicy and tender tenderloin.
- Rare: takes about 22 minutes to cook or 120 to 130 degrees Fahrenheit
- Medium-Rare: about 25 minutes to cook or 130 to 135 degrees Fahrenheit
- Medium: 28 minutes to cook or 135 to140 degrees Fahrenheit
- Medium-Well: 30 minutes to cook or 145 to 155 degrees Fahrenheit
- Well Done: 32 minutes to cook or 150 to 155 degrees Fahrenheit
Storing Beef Tenderloin:
It is rare to have any of this Garlic Herb Tenderloin left over but it does happen. I prefer to refrigerate it and have it throughout the week. Freezing seems to take away from the tenderness and changes the texture of the beef tenderloin.
For best results prepare and make your Garlic Butter Tenderloin and serve hot!
- Making ahead: for best results it is so delicious to make and serve warm.
- Refrigerating: once your beef tenderloin is completely cooled off, place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 5 to 6 days.
- Freezing: cool the beef tenderloin and place in an air sealed ziplock bag. Remove all the air out of the bag and lay flat in the freezer. This will last about 1 month in the freezer. When ready to warm up, place in the refrigerator to thaw overnight before reheating.
- Warming up: when ready to reheat, place in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes warming up or in the microwave using 1 to 2 minute timed increments. You do not want to over cook this tenderloin.
Here are more beef and steak recipes to enjoy:
- Lemon Garlic Butter Flank Steak with Mushrooms
- Perfectly Juicy Grilled Steak
- Skillet Salisbury Steak
- Garlic Butter Herb Steak Bites with Potatoes
- Brown Sugar Garlic Flank Steak
Garlic Herb Butter Beef Tenderloin
- 4-6 pound beef tenderloin trimmed and tied
- salt and pepepr
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
Garlic Herb Butter
- 1 cup butter softened
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon thyme finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon oregano finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon rosemary finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Prepare the tenderloin by trimming the fat. Cut it in half and tie the roast. Bend the tail in at the end of the roast so that it is tied in even thickness.
- Preheat a heavy bottom skillet to medium high heat and add the olive oil. Once the olive oil has reached the smoking point, add the roasts and sear each side for 3-4 minutes or until it is golden brown.
- To make the garlic butter spread: Combine the butter, garlic, thyme, oregano, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Place the tenderloin in a roasting pan, heavy bottomed skillet, or baking dish. Spread half of the butter on the roast.
- Roast in the oven until the temperature reaches just under 140 degrees for medium doneness. Remove from the oven and slather the rest of the garlic butter on top and let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
The recipe given here is very useful and a lot of people also followed this recipe which I will make at home. I got a lot of unique recipes from here.
We have a dish that is more tasty which I like more but here I have found a lot of unicuo information that I will make at home.
Thanks for sharing useful infromation.
I will make it at home by following the instructions and recipe steps given here but I found the information on Cake unique here which I will make
Thanks! Love the addition of sauces and side dishes, temperature guidelines, etc.
How long do you have it in the oven?
Every oven is different but for about 30 minutes or until the temperature reaches 140 degrees internally. This is done over the stove top.
What temperature do you roast the tenderloin? The recipe doesn’t say. Thanks!
This is done over the stove top in a dutch oven. You will keep it on medium to low heat.
Roast in the oven until the temperature reaches just under 140 degrees for medium doneness. Remove from the oven and slather the rest of the garlic butter on top and let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
The recipe says to “roast in the oven” so your response is confusing. A temperature to set the oven at would be helpful.
i was trying at home , i was very jusy TENDERLOIN