This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Elevate your chicken breast dinner with this simple and elegant Chicken Pan Sauce. Made with simple ingredients you already have in your kitchen, this sauce takes just 20 minutes to make and will please even the pickiest palates! It’s flavorful, juicy, and a must-have in your recipe book.
We’ve all been there. It’s another chicken-for-dinner kind of day and even we are feeling uninspired. The good news is, I’m a mom who’s been cooking for kids for a long time, so I’ve got a huge collection of quick and easy chicken dinner ideas. This chicken pan sauce is a great one to start with because it’s SO easy and delicious. If you’re still looking for ideas, try this Honey Butter Baked Chicken, this super Easy Butter Chicken, and this flavorful Grilled Teriyaki Chicken.
Chicken in a Pan Sauce
Oh chicken breast. You know, that flavorless sometimes dry piece of chicken that no one is really THAT excited to see on the plate. Take that chicken breast and turn it into a tender, juicy, flavorful dinner with a chicken pan sauce! I’m serious, it CAN be done. I just did it last week with this recipe and I promise, your family is going to love it just as much as mine did. Why? Because it’s foolproof. It’s a simple sauce of olive oil, butter, garlic, shallot, and chicken broth. Add in a few seasonings, and there is nothing in this sauce that picky eaters won’t like, and everything to love!
We make chicken a lot at our house. Feeding a family isn’t cheap these days and chicken gets the bellies full on a budget. I’ve found a lot of ways to dress up chicken because it gets bland and boring without a little effort. That’s why I love this chicken pan sauce because when I’m not feeling creative, this pan sauce is flavorful and filling without a bunch of extra ingredients. Serve this chicken with some instant pot rice, some quick air fryer frozen broccoli, or an air fryer vegetable mix for a well rounded and seriously simple dinner.
I love how simple the ingredients are for this chicken pan sauce. You most likely have all of these ingredients on hand already. This is a chicken dish that is totally flavorful while still really easy to cook. You don’t have to have any chef skills to cook this chicken to perfection. Everyone will be asking you for your recipe! This sauce is also amazing with steak, pork chops, or really any protein. You can find the measurements below in the recipe card.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil has a really mild flavor and it is a healthy oil to cook your chicken in.
- Chicken Breast: You will pound your chicken breast with a mallet until it is about a half inch thick. You will sear the chicken first to get a layer of flavor on the bottom of the pan.
- Salt and Pepper: I used Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to season the chicken.
- Italian Seasoning: I make my own homemade blend because the flavors are so much more fresh and there is no added salt in my mix.
- Shallot: Shallot is a little more sweet and has a more mild flavor than onion. I really like to use it in this dish, but you could use an onion instead.
- Garlic: Garlic is sweet and savory and so full of flavor. It really ramps up the flavor in this sauce.
- Butter: I just think butter makes everything better! Butter has fats that really help to bring this sauce together.
- Chicken Broth or White Wine: I use chicken broth because I rarely have white wine on hand, but either is a great option! They both have their benefits, so you can try them both out to see which one you like better.
Chicken with Pan Sauce
This chicken pan sauce is a simple recipe that seriously took me 20 minutes from start to finish. I just make sure to get all of my ingredients out and ready to go, and once you start cooking it all comes together so fast. Not to mention how amazing my house smelled while it was cooking! My family ended up in the kitchen asking what was for dinner, and seriously enjoyed this meal.
- Pound Chicken and Season: Pound the chicken breasts to 1/2 inch thickness using a kitchen mallet if they are too thick. Season both sides of the breasts with 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Add Oil to Pan: Add the olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat.
- Sear Chicken: Add the seasoned chicken to the pan to sear and then cook for about 5 minutes on each side. The chicken should no longer be pink and golden on the outside.
- Set Chicken Aside: Remove the cooked chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Make Sauce: To make the chicken pan sauce turn the heat down to medium-high. Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan. Then add the diced onion and garlic and saute for 2 minutes or until tender.
- Add Liquid: Pour the broth or white wine and deglaze the pan. Stir or whisk to get all the flavors from the pan into the sauce. Simmer to reduce the sauce to slightly thicken. Add more liquid and continue to reduce if you want more sauce.
- Whisk: Stir in 1 tablespoon of butter to add richness. Whisk in the remaining 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning.
- Season: Season to taste with kosher salt and cracked black pepper. You can add more flavor using other dried herbs if you desire.
Tips for Making Chicken Pan Sauce
Chicken pan sauce is so simple to make, you might be looking for tips on how to switch it up! Each time you make it you can try new ingredients to add layers to your recipe. Here are some ideas that I’ve tried and loved.
- Switch It Up: Use chicken broth one time, and try white wine another! They both add different flavors and are delicious in their own way. You can keep switching back and forth to keep the dish interesting for you and your family.
- Add Vegetables: You can cook veggies in the pan when you are making the sauce for extra nutrients. Add mushrooms or greens for an extra boost of flavor and to make the meal more filling.
- Add Acid: I love a little acid in my pan sauce. Using fresh lemon juice or some Dijon mustard can really take this dish to the next level. It brightens up the sauce and gives it a whole new flavor.
- Fresh Herbs: You can top your chicken with fresh herbs to add some extra flavor at the end. Parsley and thyme are great options!
You are going to love your chicken pan sauce leftovers. I actually think it tastes even better the next day! Here is how to store your leftovers.
- In the Refrigerator: Store your leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Chicken Pan Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, pounded to 1/2 " thickness
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasonings, divided
- 1/4 cup shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, or white wine
- Pound the chicken breasts to 1/2 inch thickness using a kitchen mallet if they are too thick. Season both sides of the breasts with 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the seasoned chicken to the pan to sear and cook for about 5 minutes on each side. The chicken should no longer be pink and golden on the outside.
- Remove the cooked chicken from the pan and set aside.
- To make the chicken pan sauce turn the heat down to medium-high. Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan. Add the diced onion and garlic and saute for 2 minutes or until tender.
- Add the broth or white wine and deglaze the pan. Stir or whisk to get all the flavors from the pan into the sauce. Reduce the sauce to slightly thicken. Add more liquid and continue to reduce if you want more sauce.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of butter to add richness. Whisk in the remaining 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning.
- Season to taste with kosher salt and cracked black pepper. You can add more flavor using other dried herbs if you desire.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.