Making homemade chicken souvlaki is the best way to bring the flavors of Greek street food straight to your kitchen! These chicken skewers are juicy and coated with an amazing herb marinade.
Chicken skewers are the best summer snack! They’re easy to put together and everybody loves them! To take your summer barbecues to the next level, try yakitori, Thai chicken skewers, or these grilled Hawaiian teriyaki chicken skewers!
Amazing Homemade Chicken Souvlaki
Souvlaki is a popular Greek street food consisting of chicken, beef, or lamb that is grilled and skewered. (Souvlaki translates to ‘small skewer!’) Today we’re making chicken souvlaki- tender pieces of chicken marinated with garlic and herbs and grilled to perfection! Chicken souvlaki is a summer staple and you’re going to love having them around to munch on! This has been a favorite at my family’s summer barbecues and I can’t wait for you to try them!
Perfect for all of you busy moms out there, these skewers are super easy to make! You only need a handful of simple ingredients to make them! They turn out so juicy and amazing every time, this recipe is foolproof. You can eat your chicken on a skewer or serve it on naan or pita bread! It’s delicious both ways! No matter how you choose to enjoy your souvlaki, I promise it’s going to be a hit at your next get-together.
Ingredients You’ll Need
No fancy ingredient list here! These delicious chicken skewers come together easily with pantry staples. Measurements for each ingredient can be found below in the recipe card.
- Boneless Chicken Breasts: You’ll want these to be cut into 1-inch chunks.
- Garlic: Minced garlic adds the best savory flavor to these skewers!
- Olive Oil: Helps all of the delicious seasonings coat the chicken perfectly. I used extra-virgin olive oil!
- Lemon Juice: Fresh is best!
- Greek Seasoning: This is a blend of simple herbs that you probably already have in your pantry. Find my full recipe for Greek seasoning here!
How to Make Chicken Souvlaki
This recipe does need plenty of time to marinate, but it cooks up in minutes! I like to let my chicken marinate overnight so it’s ready to go the next day (and also packed with flavor!)
- Chicken Marinade: For the marinade, combine the olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and Greek seasoning in a small bowl. Whisk marinade ingredients together to combine.
- Marinate: Place the chicken and marinade in a sealable plastic bag and shake to ensure the marinade is covering the chicken. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Add to Skewers: Thread chicken onto skewers and throw away the remaining marinade. Grill on an outdoor grill or grill pan for about 5 minutes on each side. Grill until thoroughly cooked to 165° Farhenheit. Serve warm!
- Serve: Serve chicken souvlaki with a side of tzatziki sauce for dipping, with a delicious Greek salad, or as the meat in a gyro.
Tips for Chicken Souvlaki
Here are a few extra ways to perfect your chicken souvlaki! You’re going to want them at every family barbecue.
- Prep Skewers: If you don’t have metal skewers, wooden skewers work as well! Soaking the wooden skewers helps to prevent the wood from getting charred and black. Place them in a large baking dish or roasting pan and cover them with water by at least ½ inch. Soak the skewers for about an hour. Make sure to dry them off before skewering on the meat.
- Use a Meat Thermometer: The best way to make sure you don’t overcook your chicken is by checking the internal temperature. Once internal temperatures reach 165 degrees Fahrenheit, take your chicken off the grill. If you cook it any more than that, it may become dry.
- Let Your Chicken Rest: The key to juicy chicken is to let it sit for a few minutes after you remove it from the grill. This allows all of the delicious juices to reabsorb.
You can store your leftover chicken souvlaki for up to 4 days in an airtight container in the fridge. When you reheat it, make sure internal temperatures reach 165 degrees Fahrenheit before serving. This chicken is great for eating as-is, serving over rice, or adding to salads or wraps!
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1" chunks
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced (2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons Greek seasoning
- For the marinade, combine the olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and Greek seasoning in a small bowl. Whisk together to combine.
- Place the chicken and marinade in a sealable plastic bag and shake to ensure the marinade is covering chicken. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Thread chicken onto skewers and throw away the remaining marinade. Grill on an outdoor grill or grill pan for about 5 minutes on each side. Grill until thoroughly cooked to 165° Farhenheit. Serve warm!
- Serve chicken souvlaki with a side of tzatziki sauce for dipping, with a delicious Greek salad, or as the meat in a gyro.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.