You are going to fall in love with this quick and easy 8 Can Chicken Taco Soup recipe! It is the perfect dinner when there is no time to run to the grocery store but the family needs dinner, like, NOW. Grab these ingredients right out of your pantry and whip up a delicious and flavorful soup!
Taco soup is definitely a favorite at my house! This recipe is just one of my favorites, and it’s perfect for a super busy night. Try this crockpot taco soup, this delicious and easy cheesy taco soup or this low in calories skinny taco soup for more fun variations of one of my favorite dishes!
8 Can Taco Soup with Chicken
I love how easy this recipe is and that I have these 8 cans on hand at any given time. Add it all together and create one amazingly easy dish that is thrown into a stove top pot or slow cooker. As the taco soup is cooking the flavors begin to combine creating an irresistible soup. It is thick, rich and chunky! This taco soup is fresh and comforting in every bite!
This chicken taco soup is perfect served with a side of roasted carrots or zucchini spears if you have the time. It’s also great with a fresh wedge salad for some extra nutrients. If you don’t have the time to make anything along side this soup, then that’s ok! This soup has everything you need for a hearty and filling meal that everyone will love.
Everything You’ll Need
Each ingredient in this chicken taco soup is something you probably already have in your pantry! It is simple to make and a tried and true favorite chicken taco soup. If you are a fan of quick and easy recipes than this one is for you. You really just need 8 cans and that’s it! Now, I know not everyone is a fan of all the ingredients in canned items, so you can obviously substitute anything canned for whatever fresh ingredients you want. One I often substitute is a rotisserie chicken for canned chicken. You can find measurements below in the recipe card.
Chicken Taco Soup Ingredients
- Tomatoes: Diced in a can, I add the entire can.
- Corn: Drain the corn and add to the pot.
- Black Beans: First drain and then rinse the beans well to make sure the salt is washed off. I think they taste way better this way.
- Pinto Beans: Adds the extra thickness that are creamy. Prepare them the same way as the other canned beans.
- Cream of Chicken Soup: Thick soup mixed with small chicken bites. All ready to be added to the soup once opened. You could also use a homemade recipe if you are trying to cut back on salt!
- Chicken Breast: Tender chicken in a can that is ready in minutes. Drain and add it in, or use a rotisserie chicken or boil chicken, then take it off the bone and add.
- Green Enchiladas Sauce: Bring on some spice with this enchilada sauce.
- Chicken Broth: A savory liquid that fills this soup with chicken flavoring.
- Homemade Taco Seasoning: My homemade taco seasoning is so good and easy to make. Make ahead of time and store for 3 months! Obviously you can use a store-bought version, they are just much higher in salt.
- Olives: Sliced from a jar or can.
- Avocado: I like to add fresh avocado for a little contrast of flavor and color. They are delicious and full of vitamins.
- Sour Cream: A dollop on top is just what this soup needs!
- Tortilla Strips: A crunch that brings texture to the soup.
- Lime Wedges: The acid in the lime brightens up the whole soup, it’s perfect!
8 Can Chicken Taco Soup Recipe
Try this chicken taco soup with 8 cans and taco seasoning to make one AMAZINGLY delicious soup. All the flavor you know and love with the comfort of family around your dinner table. The smell of this soup will fill your house and make your mouth water. You won’t believe it is all from canned ingredients!
- Add Ingredients: In a large pot add the diced tomatoes, corn, black beans, pinto beans, cream of chicken, chicken breast, green enchilada sauce, chicken broth, and homemade taco seasoning.
- Cook: Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer over medium heat. Let simmer for 5 minutes and then serve with desired toppings.
Substitutions and Variations
I love this 8 can chicken taco soup recipe because there are so many ways to switch it up. If you don’t want to use canned chicken, then switch it out for another option! You really can’t go wrong with this recipe because it is simple and so full of flavor. Here are some tips for making this recipe your own.
- Cook In Slow Cooker: You can definitely make this in a slow cooker! Follow the instructions for all of the ingredients, then put them in the slow cooker for 2-3 hours on low until warmed through. Then serve with your favorite toppings! So easy and full of flavor.
- Favorite Toppings: I love adding fresh toppings after the soup has cooked because it adds that pop of flavor. Some of my favorites are guacamole, fresh cilantro, pico de Gallo, greek yogurt, shredded cheese, fresh diced onions, and jalapeños. You can get creative and add whatever you think your family will love!
- Use Fresh Ingredients: If you are worried about the salt content or the flavor of using only canned ingredients, know that you can absolutely switch out any of the ingredients you like. This is a quick and easy recipe for when you are super short on time.
This 8 can taco soup recipe is a favorite at my house because it is easy and so full of flavor. Not to mention super filling! If you do happen to have some leftover, then you will be really happy with how great these leftovers taste. Here is how to store them.
- In the Refrigerator: You can store your leftover taco soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
8 Can Chicken Taco Soup
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 (10 ¾ ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (12 ounce) can chicken breast, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can green enchilada sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons (or 1 packet ) taco seasoning
- olives, sliced
- avocado, diced
- sour cream
- tortilla strips
- lime wedges
- In a large pot add the diced tomatoes, corn, black beans, pinto beans, cream of chicken, chicken breast, green enchilada sauce, chicken broth, and homemade taco seasoning.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer over medium heat. Let simmer for 5 minutes and serve with desired toppings.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Making this right now in the slow cooker – sooo easy and sooo good. Thanks for the recipe!
Made this today. Couldn’t be easier and was delicious.
How many calories per serving?
An estimated 184 calories per serving.
This was the easiest and tastier chicken taco soup EVER!!! THANK YOU! Followed recipe as written excerpt used Rotel in place of stewed tomatoes.
Haven’t madevit yet but it’s just my husband and I once cooked and prepared are the leftovers able to be frozen and if so for how long.
You can freeze them in an airtight container for about 2-3 months. Just let them thaw overnight in your fridge and then heat up the leftover soup on the stove!
Easy and delicious!
Made this quick and easy soup exactly as stated and it was perfect! I doubled the recipe and it was the best I’ve made. Had the right amount of zip and not to spicy. It is a recipe keeper. Thank you for user friendly recipes.
Is the cream of chicken soup condensed or with the liquid already added into it?
You can just use the soup straight out of the can, no need to add any liquid to it.
First time trying this recipe and I will say it is delicious! Love how easy it is to make and simple the ingredients are. 10 out of 10 for sure
Sorry for the silly question but do you cook the chicken first?
If you use the canned chicken, then it is already cooked! If not, then yes, you will need to cook your chicken first!
Would it change the flavor too much if I used red enchilada sauce instead of green?
It would change it a bit but that sounds delicious! Let me know how it turns out!
I had another taco soup recipe where you don’t drain the corn? Or beans? Am i draining these in this one?
You will drain everything in this recipe!
Can Rotel diced tomatoes be used ?
Yes! Those will work fine.
One more question.
I would prefer not to use cooked chicken in a can..how about one or two cooked chicken breast…
That will work great!
Can I put all ingredients in crackpot?
If so ….for how long?
I haven’t tried this before but I would cook it on low for 4-5 hours or high for 2-3 hours.
Made this tonight. My wife and I loved it!! 10 out of ten stars I shared the recipe with family and friends. Quick and easy.
Bonus: you can make it your own and change up the ingredients, soup, meat, etc.
will be a staple on my menu list.
I made this, but the soup wasa turn off. Added 1 1/4 cup of rice and threw it in the oven at 375 for 50 minutes and made a rice bake. Added some 4 cheese mexican shredded cheese over top. Very good.
As soon as I saw the Taco Soup recipe, I knew I had all the ingredients in the pantry. I gathered the ingredients and put it in my slow cooker while I went out and worked in my garden. My wife and I came inside 3-4 hours later and dished up the Taco Soup. My wife raved about it and we really enjoyed several bowls of this delicious soup. I will certainly prepare this again. Love your recipes! Ken_in_Edmond
How much taco seasoning do you put in?
What can I use in place of a cream soup? My husband has celiac disease and it’s almost impossible to find a cream soup that doesn’t have gluten. Canned chicken broth thickened with some cornstarch? Additional spices? Thanks.
You could try replacing it with chicken broth. I haven’t tried that before so let me know how it turns out!
I made this recipe tonight and it was ABSOLUTELY delicious! My husband gave it an 8.5!!
Progresso cream of mushroom is gluten free as is WALMART Great Value cream of mushroom soup.
I have celiac disease too. Some grocery stores carry gf cream of chicken soup! Walmart definitely has it! I’m making this tonight:).
How much homemade taco seasoning do you usually put in?
I use about 2 tablespoons of my Homemade Taco Seasoning
What to use in place of cream of chicken soup?
You can use another flavor of cream soup.