This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Add a layer of indulgence to a classic cookie with these chocolate covered Oreos! These little bites of chocolatey goodness are a crowd-pleaser wherever they go!
Just in time for Valentine’s Day, here are a few more sweet treats! Cheesecake stuffed strawberries, chocolate truffles, and Linzer cookies are all as tasty as they are cute! They’re perfect for parties and are loved by all!
Insanely Good Chocolate Covered Oreos Recipe
Chocolate lovers, this one’s for you! This is a fun take on a cookie we all know and love! Oreos are tasty on their own, but add a layer of your favorite chocolate on the outside and you’ve got a winner! Chocolate-covered Oreos are beyond easy to make and come together in a snap. Whether you’re wanting a kid-friendly activity or treats for your valentine, this recipe has your back. They’re so irresistible! These don’t stay around long when I make them for friends and family.
Another great thing about this recipe is that you can switch out the kind of chocolate to your liking! I’m not the biggest fan of milk and dark chocolate, but boy do I love me some white chocolate! You can easily make a white chocolate version by switching in your favorite chocolate bar, white chocolate chips, or candy melts. From there, all you have to do is dip and go! It’s a yummy treat to whip up with no hassle. Perfect for get-togethers! Still, got chocolate on the brain? Find my full list of chocolate recipes here!
Ingredients for Chocolate Covered Oreos
It doesn’t get any simpler than this. Only 2 ingredients are needed to make these amazing chocolate-covered Oreos! Anything this inexpensive and delicious is something I can get behind. If you’re looking for measurements, they’re in the recipe card below!
- Chocolate Chips: You can use white chocolate, milk chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips here. You can also use your favorite chocolate bar! Just make sure it’s about 2 cups worth.
- Oreo Cookies: Classic Oreos are my favorite, but Thins, Double Stuf, and flavored Oreos work great, too! It’s all up to preference. Psst– use any extras for no bake Oreo balls or a tasty Oreo pie crust!
How to Make Chocolate Covered Oreos
This recipe is so easy to make, the whole family can get in on the fun!
- Melt: Let’s start! First, in a small microwave-safe bowl, add the chocolate chips. Microwave 30 seconds at a time stirring until smooth.
- Dip and Chill: Next, dip each Oreo into the chocolate. Then, remove with a fork and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Place in the fridge for 10 minutes to set.
- Add Drizzle and Serve: Remove the Oreos from the fridge and drizzle extra chocolate on the Oreos if desired. Return to fridge to let set for another 10 minutes.
Melting Chocolate on the Stove
You can also melt your chocolate down on the stove. I like using this method because I can stir constantly and have more control over the heat.
Note: Be careful not to overheat your chocolate. This can make it lumpy. If your chocolate has been overheated, it can be salvaged by straining through a sieve.
Tips and Delicious Variations
These chocolate covered Oreos are the perfect mix of rich and crunchy. Once you have one, it’s hard not to have another! Here are a few extra tips on making the most delicious chocolatey treats!
- Mix Frequently: The best way to keep your chocolate from burning is by stirring it between all cooking intervals. It also keep any bubbles from forming.
- Use Parchment Paper: The best way to avoid a mess is to line your baking sheet or cooling rack with parchment paper. Once your chocolate covered Oreos have set, they’ll come right off, stick-free!
- Drizzles: Salted caramel, anyone? Drizzling salted caramel sauce on top of your Oreos gives them the perfect sweet and salty finishing touch. You can also drizzle melted peanut butter for a nutty version of this treat.
- Make it Festive: Before your chocolate drizzle hardens, add heart-shaped or red and pink sprinkles on top for a cute Valentine’s Day treat!
Now that you’ve made yourself a batch of these delicious treats, here’s how to store them for later! (You’ll be thanking me when you get a late-night sweet tooth.)
- In the Refrigerator: I recommend storing your chocolate covered Oreos in the fridge just in case you’ve used untempered chocolate. These tend to melt when left at room temperature. Pop your Oreos in an airtight container- they will keep for one week.
Note: Tempered chocolate includes baking chocolate and candy melts. Untempered chocolate is typically softer and will melt more easily. This includes candy bars and chocolate chips.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Chocolate Covered Oreos
- 2 cups chocolate chips white chocolate, milk chocolate or semi sweet chocolate
- 10-12 regular oreo cookies
- In a small microwave-safe bowl add the chocolate chips. Microwave 30 seconds at a time stirring until smooth.
- Dip each Oreo into the chocolate. Remove with a fork and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Place in the fridge for 10 minutes to set.
- Remove the Oreos from the fridge and drizzle extra chocolate on the Oreos if desired. Return to fridge to let set for another 10 minutes.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.