Whipped and airy, this cloud bread really fits its name! It’s so delicious and savory that it goes with just about everything. Bake this up and watch it fly off of your table!
Homemade bread is one of my favorite things to eat. Try out this homemade bread, this perfect garlic bread, and this naan bread. You will be set with delicious bread for every meal!
What is Cloud Bread?
Ok, if you haven’t heard of or tried cloud bread before then you must give this recipe a go! Cloud bread is all the rage right now and for good reason! It’s low in carbohydrates, high in protein AND it tastes delicious. It’s that good. It is made similar to the meringue and uses egg whites to keep it so soft and fluffy (like a cloud). This recipe makes the cloud bread into savory bread so that you can use it for sandwiches or for lunch or dinner.
Not only is this recipe SOO GOOD but it’s super easy to make. It’s great for beginners because it only takes a few minutes to prepare and there is no yeast involved! Plus, the list of ingredients is short and sweet so I call that a win in my book! I also love how these are made into individual pieces and not a whole loaf. This makes them super easy to store and freeze for later. Try this recipe out, you are going to love it!
Ingredients for Cloud Bread
This list is short and sweet which means that you probably already have everything to make this in your kitchen! See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Eggs: I used large eggs for this recipe.
- Cream of Tartar: This acts as a stabilizer in this recipe.
- Cream Cheese: Take your cream cheese out to soften up before you mix it in. This will make the batter more smooth.
- Salt: The salt will enhance the flavor of all of the other ingredients.
- Garlic Powder and Onion Powder: These two seasonings add a savory element to the bread.
Let’s Bake Some Bread!
This cloud bread is perfect when you need something quick! It’s simple and easy and so tasty that you might as well just make two batches now to have extra… You will be so glad that you did!
- Preheat and prep: Preheat the oven to 300° and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add egg whites and beat: Separate the eggs. Add the cream of tartar to the whites and beat with a stand mixer or hand mixer until very stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Microwave cream cheese and mix with other ingredients: Microwave the cream cheese for about 20-30 seconds, until it can be stirred smooth. Stir smooth and add one egg yolk at a time, stirring until completely smooth. Add the salt, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Fold in egg yolks: Fold the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites until fully combined. Scoop ⅓ cup portions onto the parchment paper and spread into 4-5 inch circles, making sure to keep it quite tall, about ¾ inch. Leave 2 inches between the circles.
- Bake: Bake for 20-22 minutes until firm and golden brown. Let cool on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack or serving plate.
Cloud Bread Tips and Ways to Eat It
If you haven’t made this before then you are in for a treat. I’ve come up with a few tips that will help this turn out perfectly!
- Whip it: When you are beating up the egg whites and cream of tarter, you need to make STIFF peaks. So when you pull the beaters out of the bowl the mixture should stay that shape. Don’t underestimate the importance of this step! It needs to be super firm in order for this bread to turn out right.
- Dip it: Use this cloud bread to dip in soups! Try it with this Vegetable Beef Soup!
- Make it into pizza: These little cloud breads make the individual perfect pizza crust! My kids love making little pizzas out of these and love that they are just the perfect size.
How to Store (and Freeze!) Leftovers
You can make this ahead of time and freeze it for later. It’s so good so double the recipe and make some to keep all to yourself!
- Refreigerate: Once the bread has cooled then place them in an airtight container and put it in your fridge. It will last 3-4 days.
- Freezer: Place the cloud bread in an airtight container or a ziplock bag and label it with the date. They can be frozen for up to 2 months.
- Reheat: Take the bread out of your fridge or freezer and just pop them in the toaster! No need to thaw them!
What to Serve Cloud Bread With
This cloud bread has the perfect texture and flavor. It’s soft and fluffy and can be eaten with so many different things! Here are a few of my favorite tried and true recipes that you can serve this cloud bread with. Or, just eat it on it’s own. Either way, it’s super delicious!
- 4 Large Eggs separated
- ½ Teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 4 Tablespoons Cream cheese softened (about 2 ounces)
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- ¼ Tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ Tsp Onion Powder
- Preheat the oven to 300° and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Separate the eggs. Add the cream of tartar to the whites and beat with a stand mixer or hand mixer until very stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Microwave the cream cheese for about 20-30 seconds, until it can be stirred smooth. Stir smooth and add one egg yolk at a time, stirring until completely smooth. Add the salt, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Fold the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites until fully combined. Scoop ⅓ cup portions onto the parchment paper and spread into 4-5 inch circles, making sure to keep it quite tall, about ¾ inch. Leave 2 inches between the circles.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes until firm and golden brown. Let cool on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack or serving plate.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
First, I want to say “you are amazing.” I have tried many of your recipes and they are all great. This time I tried the Cloud Bread. They were awesome. Everyone “oooed” and “aahed” as they devoured them. Needless to say, I will have to double the recipe next time. Thank you so much for sharing.