This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
There’s a reason why club sandwiches are so popular – you can’t go wrong with 3 pieces of toasty bread smothered in mayonnaise, mustard, and then layered with meat, cheese, and fresh greens! This classic club sandwich recipe is going to be your new lunch go-to.
Best-Ever Club Sandwich Recipe
Like a BLT, the club sandwich is something you can find at just about any lunch spot. What makes it unique is the fact that it uses 3 slices of bread instead of 2! This allows it to hold even more delicious toppings for a meatier, heartier sandwich. Skip the takeout from your favorite sandwich shop for lunch this week and try making this recipe instead! It’s super inexpensive to throw together and tastes a million times better.
I’m going to give you all the tips you need to craft the ultimate club sandwich. From the perfect bread to all of the fixings, you’re going to have a sandwich on your hands that your friends and family will be drooling over. Serve it up with these super easy air fryer potato chips for a lunch you won’t forget!
Ingredients for the Perfect Club Sandwich
These are the main components of a classic club. Feel free to mix and match toppings to your liking! All of the ratios I used can be found below in the recipe card.
- Bread: I used white bread but wheat bread is a great option too! You just want to make sure you choose bread that’s flat since we’re laying 3 slices. If you’re feeling extra ambitious, try making homemade bread! After all, no sandwich is complete without the perfect shell.
- Spread: My favorite spread for club sandwiches is a mix of mustard and mayo. It’s just so creamy and flavorful! See my tips section below for ways to switch this up!
- Meat: The best part about club sandwiches is the variety of meats you add to it. I used sliced ham, turkey, and precooked bacon! You can add sliced chicken breast too if you’d like!
- Cheese: I used sliced cheddar cheese for its sharp, cheesy flavor, but creamy cheeses like provolone and Havarti are great options as well.
- Veggies: The veggie toppings I added are butter lettuce and sliced tomatoes! A couple more great options to try are onions and avocado slices.
How to Make the Best Club Sandwich
The key to a perfect club sandwich is using the freshest ingredients possible and knowing what to layer first! Follow these simple instructions for a club with flavor and texture that’s out of this world.
- Toast Bread: Toast all three slices of bread and allow them to cool before assembling the sandwich.
- Mix Mayo and Mustard: Add the mayonnaise and mustard into a small bowl and stir until combined.
- Add Spread: Evenly spread the mayonnaise/mustard mixture on one side of each piece of toast.
- First Layer: To assemble the sandwich, layer the ham, lettuce, and sliced bacon on top of the first piece of toast with spread side up.
- Add Bread: Next, take the second piece of toast and place the spread side down on top of the lettuce.
- Second Layer: Now, layer on the cheese, turkey, and tomato.
- Add Bread: Lastly, place the remaining toast on top of the tomato with the spread side down.
- Serve: Enjoy with chips and a pickle on the side!
Tips and Variations
One of the fun things about making sandwiches is being able to mix and match spreads, sauces, and toppings! Here are a couple of extra ways to customize and perfect your club sandwich. Talk about lunch envy!
- Swap Your Spread: If you’re a lover of garlic like me, try adding garlic aioli to your sandwich instead! You can also add things like pesto, or swap out yellow mustard for Dijon mustard if you want a little kick.
- Precooked Bacon: To prepare your sandwich in a snap, use precooked bacon!
- Use Toothpicks: It’s helpful to use toothpicks before cutting your sandwich. Simply stick them through the sandwich to help secure the ingredients while cutting to the desired size.
- Use a Serrated Knife: Using a serrated or bread knife to cut your club sandwich in half ensures evenly cut slices.
- Butter Your Bread: A simple but delicious tip is to toast your bread on the stove with a thin layer of butter on each slice. This adds extra flavor and gives your bread the perfect crispiness!
How Long Do Club Sandwiches Last?
I recommend eating your club sandwich as soon as possible for the best flavor. The longer it sits, your greens will wilt and the spread and tomato will make your bread soggy. In an airtight container, you can keep it in the fridge for a day or two tops.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
- Toast all three slices of bread and allow them to cool before assembling the sandwich.
- Add the mayonnaise and mustard into a small bowl and stir until combined.
- Evenly spread the mayonnaise/mustard mixture on one side of each piece of toast.
- To assemble the sandwich, layer the ham, lettuce, and sliced bacon on top of the first piece of toast with spread side up.
- Next, take the second piece of toast and place the spread side down on top of the lettuce.
- Now, layer on the cheese, turkey, and tomato.
- Lastly, place the remaining toast on top of the tomato with the spread side down.
- It is helpful to use toothpicks before cutting the sandwich. Simply stick them through the sandwich to help secure the ingredients while cutting to the desired size.
- Enjoy with chips and a pickle on the side!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.