It’s not hard to see why this classic summer sandwich is an American staple. BLTs are toasty, juicy, crispy, and flavorful – everything you could want from a sandwich! It’s the perfect tasty lunch for a hot summer afternoon.
Sandwiches are a wonderful way to power you through your day and leave you feeling satisfied! There’s a reason why it’s the go-to lunch for so many people. You’ll have to try some of my other sandwich recipes – this corned beef sandwich, Monte Cristo, and Cuban sandwich are all scrumptious choices. It’ll leave the people around you with some serious food envy.
Classic BLT Sandwich Recipe
Honestly, there’s not much to say about the BLT except that we all know and love it! It’s a staple meal for so many Americans, and it’s not hard to see why! It checks all the boxes for the perfect lunch. It’s toasty, fresh, and filled with crispy bacon. What more could you ask for? I will say though – there are good BLTs and then there are great BLTs. Some musts for me? Golden, crispy bread (no sogginess here!), the freshest veggies possible, and of course – layers upon layers of savory, crispy bacon.
Now, don’t get me wrong, classic BLTs are a staple for a reason, but I’ve included some ways to jazz up your BLT below as well! Switching up sauces, bread, and toppings is an easy way to craft a sandwich that’s out of this world! It will leave you feeling completely satisfied but also keep you cool as the summer temperatures continue to rise! Whether you’re making your BLT for a fresh lunch, quick and easy dinner, or an afternoon snack for the kids, you really can’t go wrong.
All the Fixings
The sky is the limit when it comes to sandwich fixings, but here are a few must-haves for the perfect BLT! See more ideas below in the tips section.
- Bread: For my BLT vessel, I always go for sourdough or white bread. It gets the perfect, crispy exterior and has a mild flavor so that the rest of the ingredients shine! Want a thicker bread with more texture? Try rye or sprouted bread! Like it soft and chewy? Ciabatta is the answer.
- Mayonnaise: Mayo is a must for any BLT. Think of it as the glue that holds your sandwich together! Now, I know one of the best things about BLTs is the fact that they’re quick and easy to make, but if you really want to take your BLT up a notch, try making your mayo from scratch! It has the best flavor. You can find my full recipe here!
- Bacon: I always use precooked bacon for easy prep, but thick-cut bacon or seasoned bacon are great options, too! Turkey bacon also works!
- Green Leaf Lettuce: In my BLT testing experience, I’ve found that green leaf lettuce is the best! Compared to iceberg and romaine lettuce, green leaf is more flavorful and has the perfect texture for sandwiches! Look for a clean, vibrant bunch of lettuce that’s free of imperfections.
- Tomato: No BLT is complete without a few juicy slices of tomato. The perfect tomato will be bright red, feel dense and give slightly when pressed on. Avoid mushy, pale, or cracked tomatoes.
How to Make the Perfect BLT
Making a BLT sandwich is super straightforward, but I’ve included a few tips to help yours turn out as delicious as possible! Timing and order of operations are also important, so you don’t end up with a soggy sandwich.
- Prepare Bacon: Cook your bacon according to package instructions. I like to save on time and use pre-cooked bacon and warm it in my air fryer.
- Cut and Season Veggies: Slice the tomato and wash the lettuce. If you want to enhance the flavor of the tomato, season it with salt and pepper. Herbs are great too! A sprinkle of Italian seasoning adds a great pop of flavor.
- Assemble: To assemble the sandwich, toast the bread and spread the mayonnaise on one side of each slice. I usually toast my bread in the toaster, but for a more gourmet sandwich, you can toast it in a skillet with a little bit of butter.
- Add Fixings: Layer the bacon, lettuce, and tomato on one slice of bread. Top with the other slice of bread and enjoy!
Ways to Customize Your BLT
Kick your BLT up a notch with these easy tips and tricks!
- What Can I Put on a BLT Besides Mayo? Add a little extra flavor to your sandwich by swapping your mayo for honey mustard, garlic aioli, sriracha mayo, or this copycat Chick-fil-A sauce!
- More Topping Ideas: You can add creaminess and healthy fats to your BLT with some sliced avocados! A slice of cheese or a fried egg are also great options.
How Long Will My Sandwich Last?
I recommend enjoying your BLT as soon as possible for the best flavor! You can keep it in the fridge for a day or 2 either wrapped in plastic wrap or in an airtight container, but keep in mind that the longer it sits, the more likely it is to become soggy.
- 2 slices Bread, toasted
- 2 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 3 slices Bacon, cooked
- Green Leaf Lettuce
- 1/4 small Tomato, sliced
- Cook your bacon according to package instructions. I like to save on time and use pre-cooked bacon and warm it in my air fryer.
- Slice the tomato and wash the lettuce. If you want to enhance the flavor of the tomato, season it with salt and pepper.
- To assemble the sandwich, toast the bread and spread the mayonnaise on one side of each slice.
- Layer the bacon, lettuce, and tomato on one slice of bread. Top with the other slice of bread and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.