We absolutely love Chick-fil-A at our house! So you can imagine my excitement when I found this copycat recipe. I kept thinking how awesome it would be to make these at home. They were a lot easier than I thought they would be to make and they tasted identical!
My family loved them! My little boy kept asking how I got them to look the same and taste the same as Chick-fil-A. They were perfectly crisp on the outside and packed with flavor on the inside. Of course you have to serve them on a toasted bun with pickles and some lemonade. And after you serve them to your family say, “my pleasure!” 🙂
Copycat Chick-fil-A Sandwich
Deliciously crispy chicken sandwiches that taste just like Chick-fil-A
- 4 chicken breasts boneless skinless
- Kosher salt
- pepper freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Peanut oil for frying (at least 2 inches to cover the bottom of a pan)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon malted milk powder
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Pickle Juice optional
- 4 soft hamburger buns split
- Pound each chicken breast to be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness. This will help them to fry easier. Season chicken with 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp each of paprika and pepper. Set chicken aside.
- In a heavy bottom pan, heat 2 inches of peanut oil over medium heat until a deep fry thermometer registers 325 degrees, or until small drops of water sizzle and evaporate.
- While the oil is heating, whisk the egg, milk, pickle juice* (if using) and 2 T water in a baking dish. Then whisk both flours, the malted milk powder, confectioners sugar, baking soda, dry mustard, the remaining 1/2 tsp paprika, and 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in another dish.
- Dip the chicken first in the egg mixture and then dredge in the flour mixture coating completely. Fry the chicken in the hot oil until brown about 4 minutes, adjusting the heat if needed. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve on lightly toasted buns with desired toppings. Pickles, lettuce, and even a slice of cheese!
*Pickle juice is optional but they say it is the secret ingredient. 😉
Recipe adapted from Food Network