This asparagus soup is rich, flavorful and creamy not to mention it is simple to make! The velvety texture melts in your mouth leaving you wanting more.
Soup in the springtime is hard to come by unless it is light and fresh. With fresh vegetables summertime months can still enjoy creamy soups like this easy cauliflower soup or this tomato basil soup. All fresh ingredients and perfect for the warmer seasons!
Creamy Asparagus Soup
I love soup and how rich, creamy or thick and hearty they can be. With this asparagus soup you are getting a little of a sweet, savory and a thick, rich and creamy base. It can be used as an elegant side dish or appetizer or a delicious dinner meal at home. This soup is so light and tasty that your family will be asking for seconds!
This creamy asparagus soup is creamy and dreamy in every bite. I love the subtle hint of asparagus while blended together with garlic and onion flavoring. It is the perfect combination for a fresh tasting soup this spring and summer. It pairs well with any barbecue meal or just enjoying it on its own as the main dish. Season with salt and pepper on top and garnish with asparagus tips for a tried and true favorite your family is going to love.
Asparagus Soup Ingredients:
Sneak in some vegetables with your family by enjoying this asparagus soup. All the ingredients are fresh and can be stored in the pantry for a weekly use. This soup will become one of your very favorites when it is warm outside.
- Olive Oil: This helps cook the garlic and onion together with out burning it and adding flavor.
- Garlic Cloves: Adds that strong garlic flavor into the soup right at the beginning.
- White Onion: A small onion will do but if you like more of an oniony taste then add in a bit more.
- Butter and Flour: Together these two create a roux which is the thickness for the soup.
- Chicken Broth: The broth adds in flavor and also more liquid for the roux.
- Asparagus: This is the main event! Cut or chop the asparagus tips off prior to adding into the soup mixture.
- Heavy Cream: Thickens the soup and makes it that rich and creamy flavor.
- Salt and Pepper: Just a pinch!
How to Make a Creamy Soup:
This creamy soup is prepared with asparagus, chicken broth and heavy cream as the main ingredients. The great things about this soup is it can be served hot or even cold. Garnish with chives, asparagus tips or sour cream for an additional tasty topping.
- Sauté Flavoring: In a large pot over medium high heat, add the olive oil, garlic and onion and sauté 3-5 minutes until tender.
- Make a Roux: Add the butter and the flour and stir until the flour is golden brown.
- Bring to a Boil: Pour in the chicken broth and add the asparagus. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer until the asparagus is tender about 7-10 minutes.
- Pulse the Soup: Using an immersion blender or regular blender, pulse the soup until it is smooth. Add in the heavy cream and salt and pepper to taste.
The Recipe Critic Pro Tip:
After cutting the asparagus up, save the tips of the asparagus for a pretty garnish to add onto the soup.
Tips for the Best Asparagus Soup:
- Heavy Cream: Substitute the heavy cream with greek yogurt to keep it thick and rich. It may not be as creamy but it will help cut down on calories and sweetness.
- Thickener: For a thickener for the soup add in potatoes, gnocchi or even rice to help add more substance. Puree with the asparagus for a smooth blend.
- Asparagus Tips: These are perfect to add as a garnish at the end. If they start to turn light green, you can add them to an ice bath and that will bring back their green coloring. It is almost a “shock” to the tips.
- Garnish: Dish up your soup and add cooked bacon pieces, asparagus tips, sour cream and/or croutons.
How To Reheat Asparagus Soup:
It is best to let the soup cool before storing. Place in an airtight container and reheat when ready to enjoy. When reheating make sure to do it slowly so the heavy cream does not separate. Stir to blend well. It is that simple!
- Storing: Place in an airtight container and leave in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days long.
- Can it be frozen? Yes, but without the heavy cream. Unfortunately with the heavy cream, this soup is not the best to freeze. Before adding the cream, you can freeze that portion and have it ready to make ahead. When ready to reheat, simply add in the heavy cream. Place in a freezer bag and lay flat in the freezer for up to one month long. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then warm up using the stove top or microwave.
- Warming up: When ready to reheat, place over the stove top and warm slowly or microwave in 30 to 45 second increments until it is warmed through.
Fresh Asparagus Recipes:
Asparagus is one of my favorites during the spring time. There is only so much time to enjoy fresh picked asparagus.
Here are a few of my favorite asparagus recipes during this time of year:
- Sautéed Garlic Asparagus with Bacon
- Asparagus Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- Lemon Garlic Butter Herb Chicken with Asparagus
- Shrimp and Asparagus Skillet
- Sheet Pan Lemon Garlic Butter Shrimp with Asparagus
Creamy Asparagus Soup
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 small white onion chopped
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 pounds asparagus cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt more or less to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large pot over medium high heat, add the olive oil, garlic and onion and sauté 3-5 minutes until tender. Add the butter and the flour and stir until the flour is golden brown.
- Pour in the chicken broth and add the asparagus. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer until the asparagus is tender about 7-10 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or regular blender, pulse the soup until it is smooth. Add in the heavy cream and salt and pepper to taste.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
I am on keto can I Substitute white flour for almond flour?
Yes! Let me know how it turns out!
nice tasty soup and easy recipe.
WOW!!.. Yummy…Thanks for sharing best asparagus soup recipe.
WOWWW!!! One of the best asparagus soup details. Thank you for sharing.
Thank you so much for sharing best asparagus soup details.
Incredible! We loved it!
Fruits and very nice. thanks for sharing a beautiful article.
Thanks for enlighten me with spectacular article. I wish to read more from you. Also, in case you are interested in astrology related topics then i am sharing my articles for you.
Awesome food thanks u for sharing
This Creamy Asparagus Soup is just awesomly healthy. The ingredients you have used in this soup are super healthy . Thanks for sharing this Soup in your blog.
Can’t wait for more such Recipes.
wow great food thanks u for sharing
Creme Dela Creme Dela the Creamy the soup the dreamy the bite. Lovely
Wow very Yummy!!
Thank you for sharing such a wonderful recipe. These soup are AMAZING! Thanks for a great recipe.
Either way, keep up the great sharing of informative information!
Thank you for sharing recipe this one of the most amazing soup we have ever prepared. It was so tasty even at the first attempt.
Your soup recipe is amazing the velvety texture of soup melts in my mouth.
thanks for sharing this post i am loving it
I loved it and will share with everyone.
Nice, Thanks for sharing
This is one of the most amazing soup I have ever made. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us. I tried this for the first time today and it came out to be perfect just because of your detailed recipe