Creamy Chicken Marsala is a creamy and delicious classic Italian dish that is ready in under 30 minutes! The creamy sauce is full of flavor and mushrooms and will be one of the best things that you make!
This recipe could not be easier to make! Pan fry the chicken, create the delicious sauce that only requires a few ingredients and thickens up to coat the chicken so well. If you are loving the creamy, mushroom flavors tied together try this Creamy Tuscan Garlic Chicken, Skillet Creamy Chicken Mushroom Florentine or Creamy Garlic Parmesan Mushroom Chicken.
I had plans to share another recipe with you today but this was so amazing that I could not wait to share! Do you ever make something and think, DANG! I just made that? This Creamy Chicken Marsala became an instant favorite with the very first bite. It was a 5 star restaurant quality meal that I made right in my kitchen!
The creamy sauce uses the sweet marsala wine that gives such great flavor. (Don’t worry because alcohol does burn off during the cooking process and is safe for the kids to eat. But if you are worried about it I have provided an alternative.) All you have to add to it is some heavy cream, garlic, mustard, and voila! All done. I am not a huge mushroom fan but I love them cooked in sauces. They were tender and added such great flavor and texture to the dish.
Everything about this meal is PHENOMENAL. It is simple and packed with such amazing flavor. It really tastes like you created a restaurant quality meal right at home that is simple and delicious. You are going to want to put this at the top of the list of things to make. It is even picky eater approved at our house (minus the mushrooms) and this Creamy Chicken Marsala is one we will make again and again!
How do you make Creamy Chicken Marsala?
- In a large skillet over medium heat add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan. Add the chicken and lightly salt and pepper. Cook until lightly brown and cooked throughout. Remove chicken and set aside on plate.
- Add 1 Tablespoon olive oil and sauté the mushrooms for 1-2 minutes. Add marsala wine and bring to a boil over medium high heat for 1-2 minutes. This allows the alcohol to burn out. Add the chicken broth, heavy whipping cream, ground mustard, and garlic powder. Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until it starts to thicken. Place chicken back in the sauce and continue to simmer for about 1-2 minutes.
How do you cut a large chicken breast in half?
I like to slice my chicken breasts in half or buy them thinly sliced so that they cook quickly and easily. Place one chicken breast half on a cutting board, flat/smooth side down. Put the palm of your non-cutting hand on the top of the breast, and, using a very sharp knife, slowly cut horizontally through the breast, starting with cutting into the long, thick side.
What temperature does chicken need to be cooked to?
A meat or instant-read thermometer is your best instrument for determining the temperature of your chicken, The thermometer should be inserted into the thickest part of the breast. 165 degrees Fahrenheit is the safe internal temperature for both the white meat and dark meat.
What is the best Marsala Wine?
Marsala is an Italian fortified wine with smoky, deep flavor. When making savory dishes like chicken or veal Marsala, dry Marsala is the classic choice; when making desserts, sweet Marsalis generally used. Marsala wine is a fortified wine from Sicily with a deep flavor and is used in this sauce to create a caramelized rich flavor. When making savory dishes like Chicken Marsala, dry Marsala is the best option.
The alcohol in the marsala wine burns off during the cooking process. If you are worried about cooking with wine, they say this recipe makes a good substitute.
- 1/4 cup of white grape juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of sherry vinegar
What is a good side dish to use with Chicken Marsala?
- Mashed Potatoes
- Green Beans
- Plain Rice
Are you looking for more Creamy Chicken recipes? Here are some!
- Creamy Tomato Italian Parmesan Chicken
- Creamy Mediterranean Chicken
- One Pot Creamy Spinach Mushroom Artichoke Chicken
- Creamy Skillet Chicken Cacciatore
- Creamy Bacon Mushroom Thyme Chicken
Creamy Chicken Marsala
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts thinly sliced*
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine** see note
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Fresh Chopped Parsley for garnish
In a large skillet over medium heat add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan. Add the chicken and lightly salt and pepper. Cook until lightly brown and cooked throughout. Remove chicken and set aside on plate.
Add 1 Tablespoon olive oil and sauté the mushrooms for 1-2 minutes. Add marsala wine and bring to a boil over medium high heat for 1-2 minutes. This allows the alcohol to burn out. Add the chicken broth, heavy whipping cream, ground mustard, and garlic powder.
Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until it starts to thicken. Place chicken back in the sauce and continue to simmer for about 1-2 minutes.
** The alcohol will burn out during the cooking process but if you are worried about cooking with wine you can use this as a substitute:
1/4 cup white grape juice, 1 T Vanilla Extract, 2 T Sherry Vinegar.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.