This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Creamy Potato Soup is packed with all the flavors you love from a traditional baked potato, just in delicious velvety soup form. It’s warm comforting and irresistible. It’s very simple and easy to put together and taste is amazing. So satisfying, you’ll love it.
Creamy Potato Soup
Heavenly, rich and hearty, this soup is sure to please on a busy night. Make it for a laid back day or take to a dinner party. It’s a dish that can be dressed up or dressed down. Perfect for every occasion. Top with your favorite baked potato toppings.
Creamy Potato Soup is so gratifying. It’s like love in a bowl.
Creamy Soup Ingredients
Super simple to put together.
- Water for Boiling potatoes– You need enough to just cover the potatoes, about 2 quarts.
- Potatoes– diced, leave the skins on for that homemade look and taste
- Chicken broth – can substitute beef or veggie broth
- onion -finely diced
- Salt and pepper– add to taste
- Flour- creates the thickness
- Water – Water for the soup
- Heavy Cream Adds the luscious texture to your soup
- Butter– Adds flavor and creaminess
- Toppings- Colby-Monterey Jack Cheese, Bacon, and Green Onion -These are just suggestions. Add what you love best.
Making Creamy Potato Soup
Super easy and yummy!
- Boil- In a large pot boil the diced potatoes till tender about 8-10 minutes, and drain
- Simmer- In a Large pot add the broth, onions, salt and pepper and water. Bring to a boil and let simmer on medium low.
- Melt– In a separate saucepan melt the butter and then whisk in the flour and stir. Slowly add it to he broth mixture stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
- Cream– Add the cream slowly to thicken and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the potatoes.
- Top– serve wit your favorite potato toppings.
Tips to the Perfect Potato Soup
- Potatoes- Use russet potatoes, because they aren’t firm and waxy like red and yellow potatoes they’ll break down to help make the soup creamy. Cut the pieces in uniform size so they’ll cook evenly about 3/4 inch.
- Creamier- If you want even creamier soup, try using an immersion blender on half the potatoes.
- Lighten up- For a healthier option you can use half and half instead of heavy cream.
- Base- This is most definitely a base soup, the fun comes in putting the layers of toppings on top. If you add lots of spices or herbs and seasonings to the soup, it’ll change the flavor and perhaps not mesh with your toppings.
- Dairy based soups unfortunately do not freeze well, but they do keep well in the fridge. You can store it up to 5 days in the fridge. Heat it slowly on the stove top to reduce scalding. Can also be reheated in the microwave.
More Satisfying Potato Recipes
- Ham and Cheddar Potato Soup
- Creamy Red Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Potato Leek Soup
- Easy Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Creamy Ranch Potatoes
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Creamy Potato Soup
- Boil the potatoes for about 8-10 minutes or until tender.
- In a large pot, add the broth, onions, salt, pepper, and water. Let is simmer on medium low.
- In a small saucepan, melt the 2 sticks of butter. Whisk in the 3/4 cup flour and add to your broth mixture slowly.
- Add the heavy cream slowly to thicken.
- Let that simmer for 20 minutes and add the potatoes.
- Serve with green onions, bacon, and cheese if you'd like!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.