This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
This hearty and delicious soup is full of ham, potatoes, veggies, and real cheddar cheese. It is so good and has become an instant favorite at our house!
If you love eating soups during these cold winter months then you should cook up this cheeseburger soup, this pasta e Fagioli soup, or this delicious chicken gnocchi soup. They are some tried and true favorites!
Ham and Potato Cheddar Soup
I couldn’t hold back on this soup any longer! It is one of the BEST soups that we have ever had! It’s a great soup to make too if you have any leftover ham. I loved how hearty this soup was. Full of ham, potatoes, carrots, and corn it all comes together so well and makes this soup delicious. Plus, it’s simple and easy to make and you can have dinner ready in less than 30 minutes.
But let’s talk about the cheese… The cheddar base of this soup was hands down my favorite part! You will not believe how amazing the real cheddar cheese tastes and how it adds such great flavor to this soup. As soon as I had a taste I couldn’t wait for my family to try it! It was such a huge hit at dinner that the soup pot was completely scraped clean. We loved it at our house and I know that you guys are going to rave about this recipe!
Ingredients to Make Ham and Potato Cheddar Soup
This list of ingredients is simple and easy. You probably already have all of these items in your kitchen! See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Potatoes: Peel and dice your potatoes to put into the soup.
- Chicken broth: This adds in so much flavor to the base of the soup.
- Carrots: If you want to save some time then buy a bag of matchstick carrots from the store. Then you can just measure and dump them in!
- Onion: After you chop up this onion, it will add so much flavor to the soup!
- Butter: I used unsalted butter with this recipe.
- Flour: All purpose flour works great for this soup!
- Milk: I used 2% milk but whatever you have on hand will work just fine.
- Salt and pepper: Use these to taste to add to and enhance the other flavors.
- Sharp cheddar cheese: I like to shred the cheese from a block. It will melt better in the soup because it doesn’t have a coating on it like pre-packed shredded cheese does.
- Ham: Make sure that your ham is precooked. You can even by precooked ham that already comes cubed at the store if you want to save some time!
- Corn: I used frozen corn in this recipe.
Let’s Make Some Soup!
This ham and potato cheddar soup only will take about 30 minutes from start to finish. So get cooking and you will have a hearty and delicious soup ready in no time!
- Cook vegetables: In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, chicken broth, carrot and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Make a roux and then mix everything together: Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add the milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir the mixture into the potatoes and chicken broth. Stir in cheese until melted. Add ham and corn. Heat though.
Bread for Dipping
Isn’t soup just that much better when you have some delicious bread to dip in it?! Here are some ideas of bread that you can make to go with this ham and potato cheddar soup.
- Bread: You can make up a loaf of homemade bread or even some sourdough bread. It will taste so good with this soup!
- Breadsticks: I love a good breadstick with some soup. Try out these Copycat Olive Garden Breadsticks or these Homemade Breadtwists.
- Rolls: Homemade rolls just cannot be beat! You can make these super easy 1-Hour Rolls or these tried and true Lion House Rolls
How to Store Leftovers
This soup is great the next day for lunch or dinner. When the soup has cooled then place it in an airtight container and put it in the fridge. It will last 3-4 days.
A Reader’s Review
We all loved this and doubled the recipe for leftovers!
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Ham and Potato Cheddar Soup
- 2 cups potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup carrot sliced
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 1/4 cup butter cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups sharp shredded cheddar cheese 8 ounces
- 1-1/2 cups ham cubed cooked
- 1 cup corn
- In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, chicken broth, carrot, and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add the milk, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir the mixture into the potatoes and chicken broth. Stir in cheese until melted. Add ham and corn. Heat through.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.