Easy Chipped Beef Cheese Ball is the perfect appetizer full of cheddar cheese, cream cheese, green onions, and dried beef. Salty dried chipped beef pairs perfectly with fresh and tangy ingredients to make each bite an explosion of flavor!
If you are looking for an awesome cheese ball recipe you have come to the right place. You should also try this Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball, this super easy Jalapeno Bacon Cheese Ball, or this perfectly refreshing Pineapple Cheese Ball.
Chip Beef Cheese Ball
It’s no secret I’m a huge fan of appetizers! From dips to sliders, charcuterie boards and of course cheese balls, I just can’t get enough! There is nothing better in my opinion than walking into a party and seeing a snacking spread. I can’t WAIT to dive in, and so I always make sure my parties are packed with snacks. Cheeseballs are one of my favorites because they are so simple to prepare!
There really isn’t anything to a cheese ball, and once you make it at home you won’t ever want another store bought! Homemade cheese balls are totally customizable, and you can make them exactly the way you like them. This easy chip beef cheese ball is a great first-time recipe because it is always a hit, and super easy to put together.
A chipped beef cheese ball is made up of just a few simple ingredients. It’s so important to get good quality ingredients for your final product to taste as good as you want it to. You should be able to find chipped beef at your local grocery store in the canned meat aisle. You can find full measurements below in the recipe card.
- Cream Cheese: You will need two blocks of cream cheese, I prefer to use full-fat cream cheese. Make sure to leave it out at room temperature for a few hours so it has time to get soft.
- Dried Beef: Chipped Beef is a form of pressed, salted and dried beef that has been sliced into thin pieces. It’s usually in a jar near the canned meat section of the grocery store.
- Green Onions: Green onions are so perfect on the outside of the cheese ball. You will want to wash them well and slice them into small pieces so they are the perfect size.
- Cheddar Cheese: I like to buy shredded cheddar cheese, because it saves time. But you can also get a block of cheddar cheese and shred it yourself. You will need one cup.
- Worcestershire Sauce: I totally stand by this being the secret recipe in this cheese ball! It’s packed with flavor and perfect with cream cheese. You will definitely want to use it!
- Garlic Powder: Garlic powder really packs great savory flavor that goes great with all of the flavors in this cheese ball.
- Salt: I like to add a little salt to help bring out all of the flavors of the other ingredients. Because the chipped beef is already salty, you could leave it out if you wanted to.
Chipped Beef Cheese Ball Recipe
Get ready to be amazed with how easy it is to make this chipped beef cheese ball recipe. It’s perfect served with ritz crackers, wheat thins, or fresh vegetables. I know a lot of people who love to put walnuts or pecans in it as well. It’s perfect any way you want to make it!
- Mix: In a large bowl, add the cream cheese, chipped beef (reserving about ¼ cup), green onions, cheddar cheese, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and salt. Mix together until incorporated.
- Roll: Roll into a ball and wrap in plastic. Chill for at least an hour or until firm.
- Roll in Toppings: Unroll the cheese ball from the plastic wrap and roll in reserved chipped beef and green onions. Serve with crackers.
Tips for Making A Cheese Ball
Making a chipped beef cheese ball is really simple! It’s a quick recipe that you can whip up anytime you are in the mood for a tasty appetizer. It’s also a great way to use up some of those random things in your fridge before they go bad, because a lot of things taste great in a cheese ball.
- Rolling the Cheese Ball: When rolling cheese balls I find it easiest to transfer the mixture onto a section of plastic wrap, then pulling the corners together and twisting it to easily form a ball. Then by either cutting the wrap at the base of the twist, or by simply untwisting it to transfer it to a serving dish.
- Room Temperature Cream Cheese: In order for the cream cheese to mix well and stay creamy, you will want to make sure to leave it out at room temperature for a few hours before you plan on making this recipe. If you try to mix it cold it will be clumpy and not as good.
- Using Chipped Beef: Chipped beef is a dried and salted meat that you should be able to find in your canned meat section of your grocery store. If you have a hard time finding it or want to use another meat, you have a lot of options because it’s great with any protein! Of course bacon is a great substitute in a pinch, or you could use any dried meat.
I love this chipped beef dip because it makes great leftovers. It is easy to store and tastes great for days. Here is how to store your chipped beef cheeseball.
- In the Refrigerator: Store your chipped beef cheese ball in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
- In the Freezer: I also love a good cheese ball recipe because you can freeze them! It’s a great way to have them ready ahead of time. Just wrap the cheeseball in plastic wrap and put it inside of a plastic airtight bag. They will last up to a month.
Easy Chipped Beef Cheese Ball
- 2 (8 Ounce) package cream cheese softened
- 5 ounces dried beef chopped, divided
- 5 green onions chopped, divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, add the cream cheese, chipped beef (reserving about ¼ cup), green onions, cheddar cheese, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and salt. Mix together until incorporated.
- Roll into a ball and wrap in plastic. Chill for at least an hour or until firm.
- Unroll the cheese ball from the plastic wrap and roll in reserved chipped beef and green onions. Serve with crackers.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
The beef and cheddar cheese ball was excellent.
What are the best crackers to serve with this? Making it for a birthday party.
I love Wheat Thins, Triskets or Ritz Crackers!
How many of the green onions go in the cheese ball mixture itself? I am guessing four and 1 chopped green onion for rolling.
You can do that! I did 3 chopped for the inside and 2 for rolling. But it really all depends on the look that you like because it will all taste the same!
I’ve made a cheese ball like this for years except with the cheddar cheese. Since it is Saturday before super bowl I couldn’t find dried beef so I used dried corn beef (which I usually don’t like) but it was good. I only had sharp cheddar so that is what I added. It was delicious. Thank you for your recipes. I’ve not made one that we disliked.
Delightful. Do not add additional salt.
How long will a dried beef cheese ball last in frig?
This storage life is shorter than most of my recipes. It is about 24 to 48 hours.
Then why does it say above in the description it will keep two weeks in the fridge in an airtight container? Just curious what the difference is.
Recipe was delicious. I added a tsp of cooking sherry and 1 Tablespoon of Mayo. Super good warped in pecans.
I made this for New Year’s Eve. It’s delicious. I served it with wheat crackers. The only thing I did different, was coat it in crushed up pecans.
Your recipe is perfect and delicious, and I cannot thank you enough for posting this nearly forgotten New Years Eve staple at our home for a long time……….the web page, not so much ?
Hi My Family has been making this Cheese Ball for 5 Generations and it’s My Absolute Favorite.
I’m however finding it extremely difficult to locate the Chipped, Dried Beef.
Do you have any suggestions please?
I’m desperate to make this for a New Year’s Eve Party.
Oh no! I have always found it at our local grocery store. I hope you are able to find it before the party.
I find it in the canned meat aisle…tuna, chicken and such
Look in the meat case where the bacon and packaged lunch meats are.
You can buy the Dried beef off Amazon
You can order it from Amazon! That is what I have to do because they don’t stock it here in our area.
What is a serving size. I only see, amount per serving. Am I missing something?
Yes, it is amount per serving. This will approximately feed about 12 to 15 people at a party. Hope that helps!
Simply delicious! I substituted dried chipped beef for bacon and bison jerky and used black garlic powder. The jerky has a little sweetness to it and all the salty-goodness in the other ingredients really complement that.
I used to have this recipe but that was several years ago, it was delicious. When I found the recipe on your blog I was so excited to make it. Do you have any small booklets that you sell with popular and easy recipes?
At this time I only have an ebook that you can find on my site. I have several recipes you are welcome to browse on my site at therecipecritic.com. Hope you can find more recipes that you are looking for.
Do cheese balls freeze well , if you want to make in advance for parties ?
Yes, just not for too long. They tend to crumble if frozen too long and same with refrigerated too long.
Thanks for the chopped beef recipe
Your recipes look amazing looking forward to trying them ?