Perfect party appetizers make the holidays sweeter and full of savory memories. These Easy Sausage Balls are a southern serving staple with simple ingredients or sausage, cheddar cheese, Bisquick, and olive oil.
Make your parties perfect this season and add some other deliciously easy appetizers such as these sausage stuffed mushrooms or classic deviled eggs.
Easy Sausage Balls
Sausage Balls were always a standard staple at my grandmother’s Christmas Eve party.
Experiencing the delicious smell of this simple appetizer sends me back to joyful holiday memories.
I knew to ask my cousin for her recipe, who was responsible for preparing them every year.
Until then I never knew how easy this recipe was and that there was indeed a secret ingredient, like most southern recipes.
When I read Bisquick was an ingredient I was not only surprised but intrigued.
It seems like an odd addition so I did some more research.
Most recipes call for this standard breakfast baking mix unless you’re preparing a keto version.
Having a secret ingredient seems to make these even more special.
Tips for Making the Perfect Sausage Balls
- Don’t use shredded cheese! Purchase a block of cheddar cheese and grate it, which gives the balls a more intense flavor.
- Let the ground sausage and grated cheddar cheese come to room temperature before mixing. This allows the ingredients to hold their shape with formed into balls.
- Use a mixer to combine the ingredients initially. This will mix the ingredients together quickly without overmixing them.
- Adding olive oil to the mixture, which isn’t common in many recipes, keeps the balls from tasting too dry.
Easy Sausage Ball Dipping Sauce
Whisk the below ingredients together in a small bowl and serve on a platter with the sausage balls.
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon Honey
Other great dipping sauce ideas are to use honey mustard or a sweet marmalade.
What Other Appetizers to Serve this Season
- Cranberry Pecan Cheese Ball
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pinwheels
- Three Cheese Garlic Pull-Apart Bread
- Bacon-Wrapped Chesnuts
Easy Sausage Balls
- 1 lb Ground Sausage
- 10 ounces Sharp Cheddar Cheese grated
- 1½ cups Bisquick
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Allow the sausage and grated cheddar cheese to come to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 400℉ and cover a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil coated in cooking spray or oil.
- Using either a hand mixer or an electric stand mixer, mix the sausage and cheddar cheese together on low speed until just combined. Add the Bisquick and olive oil. This mixture will be slightly dry and crumbly.
- Press the dough, using your fingers, into 2-inch sized balls and place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the balls are golden in color.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.