This perfectly grilled flank steak is tender and juicy and topped with the most delicious chimichurri sauce. Combined this main dish is one of our family favorites!
Grill your steak just the way you love and add the best topping to enhance your steak to the next level. Flank steak is simple to cook and tastes even better with this chimichurri sauce!
Perfectly Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce
Steak and I go hand in hand! I love the tender taste, flavorful and that light pink color on the inside. It has taken me a few tries to perfect my steak but I feel like I totally understand how to cook it and when it is done. My boys are growing and this steak is perfect to feed a family of six. The steak is juicy and seasoned just right in a marinade over night. This keeps the flank steak tender and soft while grilling. This is one of my hubby’s favorite meals!
Overtop of the steak I add in my favorite sauce, chimichurri! This not only enhances the flavor but is an upgrade on your meal. This homemade chimichurri is quick and easy to make within minutes and can be stored for a long period of time. Every bite will seriously melt in your mouth, it is that good! This combination of marinade, grilling and topping it off with chimichurri is the perfect dinner time meal as a family. Summertime just got better with this grilled steak and chimichurri combination!
Ingredients for Marinade:
When marinading your steak, it is best to have it marinade for a little over a few hours up to 24 hours long. The longer the better but will still have that delicious flavor if it needs to be quicker. I like to add all my ingredients in a bowl or even the ziplock bag and shake it all together to have less dishes.
- Soy Sauce: This is the main liquid that is going to soak into the steak.
- Lemon Juice: Acidic juice will help tenderize the steak in the marinade and add flavor.
- Olive Oil: This helps raise the temperature of the grill on the steaks while it is cooking.
- Worcestershire Sauce: Has a unique flavoring that pairs well with soy sauce.
- Minced Garlic: Fresh is best but already jarred is great too.
- Italian seasoning: A combination of seasonings to make it easier.
- Pepper and Salt: To taste!
- Red Pepper: Add in a little spice.
How Long to Marinate Steak:
It is best to marinate the steak between 2 to 24 hours. The longer the steak marinates the more tender and juicy the steak will be while grilling.
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, lemon juice, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, pepper, salt, and a pinch of red pepper.
- Add steaks to a resealable zip lock bag or large bowl and pour the marinade on top. Marinate for 2 hours or overnight.
How to Grill Flank Steak:
- Turn the grill to medium-high heat. Add the steaks. Cook on each side for 3 minutes or until outside is browned. Reduce heat to medium-high. Cook the steaks to the desired doneness. Mine took about 10 minutes flipping 3 times to get a medium well.
- Top with butter and garnish with chimichurri sauce.
Topping with Chimichurri Sauce:
Quick and easy to make and tastes amazing with the intense flavoring. It is one of my favorite sauces to make. Store the sauce and enjoy it all year long.
- Blend Together: In a food processor add parsley, cilantro, oregano, garlic, red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste and red pepper flakes. Pulse until combined and smooth.
- Serve or Store: Serve immediately or refrigerate up to two weeks.
Cooking Temperatures for Steak:
Know how to cook your steak the way you like! This flank steak will cook up quickly and easily. It is best to cook a little under temperature. Using a meat thermometer is best to know what temperature you are wanting.
To gauge the perfect temperature, use a meat thermometer.
- Rare: Temperature: 115°F; Remove when it reaches 110°F
- Medium-Rare: Temperature: 125°F; Remove when it reaches 120°F
- Medium: Temperature: 135°F; Remove when it reaches 130°F
- Medium-Well: Temperature: 140°F; Remove when it reaches 135°F
- Well Done: Temperature: 150°F; Remove when it reaches 145°F
Tips to Help:
- Steak: Any type of steak cut will work for this steak marinade. Skirt steak, porter house, ribeye, t-bone or New York strip are also great steaks to enjoy!
- Cutting Steak: When cutting the steak, remember to cut against the grain. The lines in the meat are the direction you want to find and cut opposite of those lines. This will enhance the flavor of the meat as well as keep it tender.
- Chimichurri: This is best made in a food processor or a blender. My chimichurri recipe is one of the best or you can use a store bought brand.
More Delicious Steak Recipes:
- Lemon Garlic Butter Flank Steak with Mushroom
- Grilled Garlic Herb Flank Steak with Avocado Corn Salsa
- Perfectly Juicy Grilled Steak
- Skillet Garlic Butter Steak and Shrimp
- Grilled Flank Steak with Asian-Insprired Marinade
Grilled Steak with Chimichurri
- ⅓ cup Soy Sauce
- ⅓ cup Lemon Juice
- ½ cup Olive Oil
- ¼ cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Pinch of Red Pepper
- 1.5 Pound Steak
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- Garnish with chimichurri sauce
To cook the steaks on a grill:
- Turn the grill to medium-high heat. Add the steaks. Cook on each side for 3 minutes or until outside is browned. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook the steaks to the desired doneness. Mine took about 10 minutes flipping 3 times to get a medium well.
- Top with butter and garnish with chimichurri sauce.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
I like to mix marinade, add meat, and put put in freezer. Ready to go when needed. Can I do this with this recipe?