Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken
Wow! I’m a little obsessed with this grilled honey mustard chicken recipe. You MUST try it this summer!! I know it is a 5 star recipe when I already want to make it again next week. I have tried recipes before with honey dijon but this honey dijon sauce has such amazing spices in it that it stands out from any other mixture I have seen! When everything is combined the sauce is perfect with a tiny but of a kick to it.
The grilled honey mustard is something even the pickiest eater at my house enjoys because of the sweet honey flavor. Then, after a long day of being outside my hubby’s friends came over and they were happily eating our leftovers! Yeah, it’s that good! I was a little sad not to have leftovers to store. So, next time I will definitely have to double the recipe! I served it with my parmesan asparagus and made a strawberry cheesecake salad! Delish!
Honey Mustard Chicken Ingredients:
- Whole grain mustard: Sometimes difficult to find, so coarse-ground mustard or stone-ground mustard work well too.
- Honey: The thick, sweetness is the perfect balance to the other flavors.
- Lemon: The hint of fresh tangy lemon is that surprising flavor that makes this chicken stand out!
- Garlic:A clove smashed and minced.
- Paprika: Adds great color.
- Salt: The salt will bring out the flavors of the spices.
- Cayenne pepper: Adds a great medium level spice to the sauce.
- Red pepper flakes: Even more heat comes from this mix of crushed peppers.
- Chicken: I like to use boneless, skinless breasts with this recipe.
How to Grill Chicken:
- Whisk all ingredients Using a small bowl, mix all ingredients together.
- Split sauce: Reserve 4 tablespoons of sauce and then pour the remaining honey mustard mixture over the chicken. Cover with plastic wrap and let it sit for about 30-45 minutes at room temperature.
- Grill Chicken: Preheat the grill on medium-medium high heat, grill chicken for about 6 to 7 minutes per side or until chicken is done.
- Dress and Serve: Pour the reserved honey-mustard sauce over chicken and let rest under foil for about 5 minutes. Serve.
Tips for Grilling:
- If your chicken breasts are really thick, pound them to thin them out. It will reduce cooking time and help it to cook more evenly.
- Boneless breasts (or thighs) make the best grilling chicken since they are lean and quick to make.
- Serve grilled honey mustard chicken over rice, a salad or with your favorite summer vegetables!
- Make sure your grill is clean before you begin and rub some oil on the grates to prevent the chicken from sticking.
- You are aiming for a medium, indirect heat while grilling so that the outside of the chicken does not burn while you get the inside up to temperature.
- Keep the grill closed while cooking. This will keep the heat in and allow the chicken to cook quicker and more evenly.
The Perfect Temperature:
When the chicken reaches 165º F, it is done. The juice will run clear once the chicken is done, but to be sure you can use a meat thermometer to confirm it is cooked thoroughly. I personally love the Thermapen. It reads the temperature so fast and has lasted so well over time. ThermoPop is another brand I have heard good reviews about as well.
- Thinly sliced chicken breasts won’t take as long to reach temperature.
- Basic rule is 3-5 minutes per side on medium to high heat, but will vary depending on the thickness of your meat.
- The chicken will continue to cook slightly even after removed from the grill.
Storing Grilled Chicken:
I don’t know about you, but I am always wondering how long my leftovers are good once stored. Especially with chicken. So, I have done my research to be sure. Here is what I know:
- Allow to cool after cooking no more than 2 hours.
- Store in a shallow airtight container.
- Grilled honey mustard chicken will be good in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 4 months.
- To avoid freezer burn be sure to pack your chicken tightly with airtight heavy-duty foil, plastic wrap or freezer paper or putting it in a freezer bag.
BBQ All Summer with these Popular Grilling Recipes:
- Grilled Honey Balsamic Chicken
- Garlic Herb Flank Steak with Avocado Corn Salsa
- Perfectly Juicy Grilled Steak
- Grilled Hawaiian Teriyaki Chicken Skewers
- Awesome Grilled Salmon with Avocado Salsa
Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken
- 1/2 cup of any whole grain mustard
- 1/2 cup of honey
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 garlic clove smashed and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Preheat the grill on medium-medium high heat, grill chicken for about 6 to 7 minutes per side or until chicken is done.
- Pour the reserved honey-mustard sauce over chicken and let rest under foil for about 5 minutes. Serve.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.