Marry me chicken is juicy and flavorful and smothered in a creamy parmesan sauce. Seasoned with savory herbs and sun-dried tomatoes, this dish will melt in your mouth, and will leave you begging for a proposal!
This dish comes together easily, and “marries” beautifully in just one skillet. It will literally “knock your socks off!” It will also leave you wanting more delicious chicken recipes like my garlic mushroom chicken, Tuscan garlic chicken, or lemon chicken piccata that you can quickly whip up for a weeknight meal!
Why is it Called Marry Me Chicken?
Marry me chicken gets it name from how delicous it is and how the ingredients “marry one another” and taste so much better together! One bite, and you’ll be coming back for more. This tender chicken is nestled in a creamy flavor-packed sauce full of cream, parmesan cheese, herbs! The star of the show is the amazing sun-dried tomatoes. I love to serve this dish with pasta to help soak up the creamy sauce. Just wait until it touches your lips…you really will want to marry it!
The best part about this recipe is that it comes together quickly and you only have to use one skillet! Easy one skillet meals really help me on those busy weeknights taking the kids to all of their activities. This marry me chicken is the best of the best because it’s not only easy and delicious but the cleanup is a breeze! Serve this will some rolls and a salad and it will become a family favorite around your house for sure!
What Ingredients Are in Marry Me Chicken?
These ingredients are great because chances are you already have them on hand. But, if you don’t, they are easy to get and keep in your pantry and refrigerator until you’re ready to make it! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts: Tender juicy chicken is the star of this dish.
- Salt: Season your chicken on both sides to enhance the flavor of the chicken.
- Pepper: Adds a little spice to balance out the salt.
- Olive Oil: This is used to brown the chicken.
- Butter: You need melted butter to create the thickening of your creamy sauce. And it adds awesome flavor!
- Garlic: Added flavor of garlic is so delicious in this dish.
- Flour: Along with the butter, the flour helps create the roux in thickening the sauce.
- Chicken Broth: Liquid needed to add to your roux for creating the sauce.
- Heavy Cream: Creamy addition to giving the dish a rich flavor, and adds to the thickness of the sauce.
- Parmesan Cheese: This salty creamy cheese melts into the sauce and is a key player in flavor.
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes: Sweet and tangy and packed with incredible flavor! Pairs so well with the creamy sauce.
- Dried Italian Seasoning: Most recipes call for one herb, but we want them all for that maximum Italian flavor!
- Fresh Basil: Garnish this marry me chicken with fresh chiffoned basil for beautiful presenaton and added flavor.
How To Make Marry Me Chicken
I love this dish because it all comes together in one skillet making it easy for serving and for clean up! Using the same skillet to brown the chicken and make the sauce just makes my life so much easier!
- Prepare the Chicken: Slice the chicken breasts thinner to help them cook evenly. You can even pound the chicken thinner using a mallet if needed.
- Season: Chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Cook the chicken: In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the chicken and then cook it for 5 minutes on both sides. Cook it until it’s browned on the outside and mostly cooked through. It will continue to fully cook later.
- Transfer: Place the cooked chicken to a plate, and set aside while you make the sauce.
- Make the Roux: Return to the same skillet, and add the butter. Add the garlic and sauté it for 30 seconds until it’s fragrant. Then, add in the flour and stir to make a paste.
- Whisk: Use a whisk to stir in the chicken broth, heavy cream, and grated parmesan cheese.
- Stir: Add the drained sun-dried tomatoes and Italian seasoning and stir in to combine. Season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Simmer: On low heat, simmer the sauce for a few minutes for it to thicken.
- Add the Chicken: Return the chicken back to skillet and then layer on top of the sauce.
- Heat: Turn the heat to medium low, and continue to simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Garnish: Add chiffoned or chopped fresh basil leaves for added flavor and beautiful presentation of this marry me chicken.
Tips For Cooking the Chicken
This marry me chicken is cooked through when juices run clear when the chicken is pierced with a knife. You can also check the internal temperature using a meat thermometer. Make sure it reaches 165 degrees fahrenheit. The thinner the chicken, the quicker and more evenly it cooks!
This marry me chicken goes with so many different things!! It is insanely delicious smothered on rice, mashed potatoes, or pasta! If you are looking for some delicious side options then to make this meal complete, try pairing it with a few of my favorite sides!
How to Store Leftovers
If you are lucky enough to have leftovers of this marry me chicken then you will be so happy! It keeps great in the fridge for another dinner! My husband even loves it for lunch the next day.
- In the Refrigerator: Store leftover chicken in a shallow, airtight container in your fridge for up to 3 days.
- In the Freezer: This recipe is best if it isn’t frozen. Best results are served the day of or refrigerated and reheated.
- To Reheat: Heat this up in the microwave or in a skillet until the chicken is warmed through.
Marry Me Chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoon Butter
- 2 teaspoon Garlic (minced)
- 3 Tablespoon Flour
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 3/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan (grated)
- 1/2 cup Sun-Dried Tomatoes (drained)
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning (dried)
- Fresh Basil (for garnish)
- Slice the chicken breasts thinner to help them cook evenly. You can even pound the chicken thinner using a mallet if needed.
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes on both sides until the chicken is mostly cooked through. It will continue to fully cook later.
- Transfer the cooked chicken to a plate, and set it aside while you make the sauce.
- Return to the same skillet, and add the butter. Once it is melted, sauté the garlic for 30 seconds until it's fragrant. Add in the flour and stir to make a paste.
- Whisk in the chicken broth, heavy cream, and parmesan cheese.
- Stir in the drained sun-dried tomatoes and Italian Seasoning. Season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Simmer the sauce for a few minutes for it to thicken.
- Return the chicken back to skillet and layer on top of the sauce.
- Turn the heat to medium low, and continue to simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped fresh basil leaves and serve warm over pasta or rice.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.