Muddy Buddies are quick and easy, no bake sweet treat that is a combination of cereal, chocolate and peanut butter and tossed in powdered sugar. It’s snack attack perfection! Whether you call it puppy chow or muddy buddies or reindeer chow this is crowd favorite.
I have several great muddy recipes on the site. Like Vanilla Coconut Muddy Buddies and this Cookies and Cream Muddy Buddies, but I don’t have the original muddy buddies? That had to change because these things are just so addicting and make the perfect quick no bake treat.
The Best Muddy Buddies
This recipe truly is a classic! This recipe has been around for ages it seems like, it’s known far and wide and it’s the base for so many variations as you can see from my site.This is such a fabulous crowd pleaser. You can take it anywhere for anything, any party, dessert, special occasion or festivity. It’s always the first to disappear. Extra reasons you’ll love it is because it’s gluten free and you can even use different nut butters for those allergic to peanut butter. (see below) Everyone can enjoy this crunchy, sweet addicting classic.
Peanut Butter and Chocolate are one of the most loved combinations out there, and mixed with sweet powdered sugar and a hint of vanilla it’s pure bliss. Then the sweet “bliss” is combined with crunchy goodness of cereal, absolute perfection. Hungry yet?!
Chex Mix Muddy Buddy Ingredients:
- Chex Cereal- the holes in this cereal hold the chocolate peanut butter mixture so every bite guarantees flavor! I like to use either Rice or Corn variety.
- Chocolate chips– you can either use milk or semi sweet chocolate chips- I prefer semi sweet though.
- Creamy Peanut butter– avoid using natural peanut butters that make the mixture oily, or too stiff if it’s not mixed up well.
- Butter- adds creaminess and helps it mix all together
- Vanilla- add the little bit of extra sweetness
- Powdered Sugar- perfectly coats the snack with sweetness.
How to Make Puppy Chow or Muddy Buddies:
Super simple to throw together you can have this ready to eat in no time.
- Cereal- In a large bowl pour the cereal
- Microwave- In a medium bowl combine the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter and microwave 30 seconds at a time till smooth and melted. Stir in vanilla.
- Gently- Pour the chocolate mixture over the cereal an stir gingerly till fully coated
- Shake- In a Gallon ziploc bag scoop the mixture then pour in the powdered sugar. Gently shake and move the bag around till fully coated in sugar.
Variations for Muddy Buddies:
As you know from my site, I love muddy buddies, it’s so easy to customize. Here are some other ways you can mix this up.
- Double the Chocolate- replace the powdered sugar with equal amount brownie mix.
- Add ins: M&Ms, Reese’s Pieces, crushed candy cane, nuts, any variety of chocolate chips can be tossed in to add flavor and texture and color.
- Sprinkles- Add in any kind of sprinkles to the powdered sugar before mixing it in the bag for pizzazz.
- Crushed cookies- crush Oreo’s, Nutter butters, or any kind of cookie that you’d like for fun.
- Peanut Butter Substitutions- Sub out the peanut butter for sun-butter, cashew butter, almond butter, or Nutella.
Storing this Easy Snack Mix:
- Double– Easily double the recipe or half for it for whatever kind of crowd your feeding.
- For storing: Store in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days. The sooner it’s eaten the better.
- Fridge- Try keeping it in the fridge for extra crunch and that little bit chill is just yummy.
- Freeze- You can freeze this in an airtight container for up to 3 months, thaw at room temperature
More “Puppy Chow” Recipes:
Here are all my favorites that are a MUST try!
- Twix Muddy Buddies
- Skinny Muddy Buddies
- Thin-Mint Muddy Buddies
- Snickerdoodle Muddy Buddies
- Ooey Gooey Chex Mix
Classic Muddy Buddies (Puppy Chow)
- 8 cups rice Chex cereal
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- In a large bowl add the Chex cereal.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl add the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter. Microwave 30 seconds at a time stirring until smooth. Stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the chocolate over the cereal and stir until cereal is coated in the chocolate.
- Add the powdered sugar to a gallon sized bag and add the cereal. Shake to coat in the powdered sugar.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.