This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Ooey Gooey Chex Mix is the perfect blend of sweet, salty, crunchy and a soft mixture of cereals, sliced almonds and shredded coconuts all covered in a white chocolate sugar mixture. This is a MUST make for the holiday season!
Ooey Gooey Chex Mix
A delicious and addicting gooey gooey treat that you won’t be able to get enough of!
This treat is something I look forward to every year.
This Ooey Gooey Chex Mix, or also known as “Christmas Crack”, is so good you just can’t stop eating it.
When I was growing up, my neighbor would bring it to us every year for Christmas.
My family and I would devour it in a matter of minutes!
Now I make it every year for our family and give to neighbors.
Every time I make it I think of that neighbor and she definitely became a favorite! 🙂
This will become your favorite too!
Just a taste of this sweet and salty, ooey, gooey Chex mix will have you wanting handful after handful.
What you need to make Ooey gooey Chex mix
My son describes this coating on the chex mix like a white caramel. And I would have to agree.
It is ooey gooey and oh so good!
Even while I was making it I couldn’t stop eating it.
The flavors and textures in this make it absolutely incredible!
This is a perfect holiday treat and great for neighbor gifts.
It is so easy and makes a big batch. If you haven’t made it before you will become instantly addicted and won’t be able to stop eating it.
You will want to make this all year long!
You are going to love it!
- Corn Chex Cereal: any flavor is great.
- Golden Grahams cereal: adds that sweet and sugary crunch.
- Coconut: a soft, subtle hint of sweetness.
- Almonds: sliced for a soft crunch.
- Light corn syrup: holds it all together.
- Sugar: added to the corn syrup for a sweet white caramel sauce.
- Butter: brings the white caramel sauce all together.
How to make ooey gooey Chex mix
This ooey gooey Chex mix is just what you need this holiday season.
It is perfect for game night, a sweet Chex mix to have at any party, snack on during the week or bag it up nicely and spread the love to all your neighbors, friends and family.
Sweet, crunchy, salty and smooth is all this ooey gooey Chex mix recipe has to offer.
It is simple to make and comes together so easily in less than 20 minutes.
Just watch as this ooey gooey Chex mix recipe disappears quickly while everyone is enjoying it this holiday season!
- Mix cereals, coconut and almonds together: In a large bowl, mix Corn Chex cereal, golden grahams cereal, coconut, and almonds. Set aside.
- Boil sugar mixture together: In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, combine the corn syrup, sugar and butter. Bring to a boil for two minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for about two minutes.
- Cover cereal with sugar mixture: Pour over the cereal mix and mix well until the cereal is coated.
- Let it cool: Spread on a cookie sheet to cool.
Variations of ooey gooey Chex mix
It is always fun to mix and match this ooey gooey Chex mix for more fun ways to enjoy this holiday season.
Adding in or substituting ingredients is perfect with this Chex mix recipe.
Keeping the ooey gooey sugar mixture, any variation of this Chex mix recipe is going to be a huge hit this season.
Fall in love with so many favorite ways to enjoy this tried and true, ooey gooey Chex mix recipe.
- Gluten-Free: During the holidays it is nice to cater to those that are gluten-free. Simply pick out the Chex cereal that is gluten-free.
- Nuts: there are so many types of nuts and fun to mix and match your favorite ones or just simply leave them out if you are not a nut fan.
- Chocolate: adding mini chocolate chips or flavored chips are always a fun, soft treat to have in the bowl.
- Dried Fruit: cranberries, pineapple or dried bananas are always a fun, subtle way of adding in a sweetness.
- Salty add in: pretzels are a great crunch with some added salt to make it salty and savory.
Tips for making ooey gooey Chex mix
- Spray your bowl: Before adding in your mix it makes it easier to spray the bowl with a non-stick cooking spray since it does get a little sticky and messy.
- Large bowl is best: The bigger the bowl the better! Start off by using a large bowl when making this ooey gooey Chex mix. It may get messy when stirring and combining.
- Use two bowls: If you do not have a large bowl, simply split the Chex mix recipe into two bowls.
- Stir constantly: When you are boiling the sugar mixture, stir constantly so it does not burn. This mixture does burn easily.
- Boiling over: The sugar mixture tends to boil over, simply turn down the heat a little bit once you start to see if rise quickly.
- Wooden spoon: I have learned that a wooden spoon is the key to sticky, ooey gooey recipes. It is easier to work with a special trick!
- Coconut: some people don’t love coconut, simply leave it out if there is a dislike to it.
Storing ooey gooey Chex mix
This is a great make-ahead recipe that everyone loves!
- Storing ooey gooey Chex mix: this ooey gooey Chex mix is great stored in an airtight container or ziplock bag. It will last about 1 week stored at room temperature.
- Can you freeze ooey gooey Chex mix? If you need to. This is not the best snack to freeze. It is best made fresh and ready to go!
- Do you need to refrigerate ooey gooey Chex mix? No, this is a great treat and snack to have at room temperature. If you need to refrigerate it, it will become hard and not be able to pull apart as easily. Just set out at room temperature over night until it is easy to pull apart again.
More holiday treats
- Best Christmas Crack Recipe (Saltine Cracker Toffee)
- Christmas Cornflake Wreaths
- Cranberry Pecan Brie Bites (4 Ingredients!)
- Peanut Butter Fudge
- Amazing Salted Caramel Popcorn
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Ooey Gooey Chex Mix
- In a large bowl, mix Corn Chex cereal, golden grahams cereal, coconut, and almonds. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, combine the corn syrup, sugar and butter. Bring to a boil for two minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for about two minutes.
- Pour over the cereal mix and mix well until the cereal is coated. Spread on a cookie sheet to cool.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.