Pico de Gallo is a made from scratch salsa that is loaded with bold flavors from jalapeño, lime, cilantro, and juicy chunks of tomato and onion. One dip will certainly not be enough and you will be scraping the bottom of the bowl in no time!
Pico de Gallo
Do you ever get so full from an appetizer that you aren’t even hungry when it comes time for the meal? That is definitely a risk you take when making this incredible homemade pico! This recipe creates such a fresh, vibrant, and chunky salsa! We love salsa at my house and are not afraid of a little spice. The jalapenos give this pico a little kick without being too much!
This is definitely the best salsa I have ever made! It is a huge hit at my house! We pile it on our tortilla chips as high as possible! One batch isn’t enough so I usually at least double the recipe and set two bowls of it out. It is better than any restaurant pico I have had and I love that I can make it at home whenever I am craving it!
What’s in Pico de Gallo?
A good pico de gallo will usually always have the same basic ingredients. To be certain, those ingredients will always be fresh. Since there is no cooking involved, the raw ingredients will make or break your pico. So, select the freshest ingredients possible!
- Roma tomatoes: Adds sweet and tangy flavor.
- Onion: A white onion is the best in this salsa because of its sharp taste and slightly more tender texture.
- Jalapeno: For a little spice!
- Cilantro: A classic flavor in any delicious salsa!
- Lime Juice: Adds a bit of acidity and bright fresh citrus flavor.
- Salt: To taste.
Easy to Make Salsa!
Quick and easy pico de gallo is so simple to make from scratch at home. In fact, this fresh, uncooked mixture of fantastic ingredients can be prepared in just minutes. First, dice up your ingredients, then combine them together and its ready to be enjoyed!
- Dice Ingredients: Tomatoes, onion, jalapeno need to be diced evenly and roughly chop the cilantro.
- Combine ingredients: In a medium sized bowl combine tomatoes, onion, jalapeño, cilantro and juice of one lime. Add salt to taste.
Tips for the Best Pico de Gallo:
Pico de gallo is so chunky and flavorful and if you follow the recipe as written you will have a hit on your hands! However, you may want to experiment with these variations of this family favorite to make it even more unique to you!
- Add garlic: Finely chop 1-2 cloves of garlic and add them into the pico for more depth of flavor.
- Fruit: Add in different types of fruit along with or instead of the tomato. For example mango or peaches.
- Spice it up: Leave a few seeds from the jalapeno in to increase the spice level to your preference.
- Onion: Use a red onion instead of the white onion for more sweetness and crunch plus great color!
- Texture: Another great version of this pico includes red bell peppers and avocado in the ingredients. The peppers provide a great crunch and the avocado is a fantastic creamy element.
- Easy prep: If you are short on time or don’t care for chopping up your ingredients, they can be bought already diced at the store.
Can You Make Pico de Gallo Ahead?
Pico de Gallo will store well if you pack it tightly in an airtight container. Properly stored it will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to a week or the freezer for 1-2 months. Actually, the flavors will get better as they sit and the juices come together. Make this one or even two days ahead of time for the best flavors. However, when you smell the delicious fresh ingredients as you are mixing this pico together, you will find it is hard to wait!!
More Salsa Dip Recipes:
- Pineapple Salsa
- 5 Minute Mango Salsa
- Individual Seven Layer Dip
- Mango Lime Avocado Salsa
- California Avocado Dip (Salsa)
Pico de Gallo
- 4 roma tomatoes chopped
- 1 medium white onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- juice from one lime
- salt to taste
- In a medium sized bowl combine tomatoes, onion, jalapeño, cilantro and juice of one lime. Add salt to taste and serve!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.