Chicken Burrito Bowls are loaded with corn, black beans, rice, chicken, guac, sour cream and an amazing dressing drizzled on top! These are great and healthy meal that you will love!
Hi everyone! Chelsea from Chelsea’s Messy Apron here with some delicious chicken burrito bowls! My family loves burritos in a bowl and it’s one of the few foods I can get both my little boys to eat consistently.
Besides the fact that they LOVE rice, beans, corn, and chicken, what little kids don’t like it when their meal is served in a bowl?!
These burrito bowls also make a great meal prep option if you pack the warm ingredients (chicken, corn, beans, and rice) separate from the cold ingredients (sour cream, guac, dressing, lettuce, and pico de gallo). You can get more details on how I meal prep this meal here.
Chicken Burrito Bowls
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 3 tablespoons white flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can Mexicorn southwestern corn (or regular corn)
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 large bunch fresh cilantro separated
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic separated
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 2 large heads or hearts of Romaine lettuce
- 4 limes separated
- Toppings: store-bought chunky guacamole 1 container (10 ounce) store-bought pico de gallo, 1 container (8 ounce) low-fat sour cream (separated - you'll need 1/2 cup for the dressing)
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tablespoons prepared ranch seasoning mix dry
- 1 to matillo
- 1/2 of 1 full jalapeno seeds removed
- 1/2 cup regular mayo
- Remove fat from the chicken breasts and then either pound the chicken to even, thin pieces or slice large breasts evenly in 2 halves. Salt and pepper the chicken pieces. In a bowl, stir together the taco seasoning and white flour. Generously dredge each piece of the chicken breasts in this mixture.
Warm a large, non-stick (12-inch) skillet to medium high heat. Add in the butter. Once the butter is melted, add the chicken to a single layer in the skillet. Cook for 3 minutes on one side and then flip to the other side and cook for another 4-6 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (Registers 165 degrees F with a meat thermometer.) Set aside to allow to cool.
- While the chicken is cooking, prep the rice: combine the rice, chicken stock or broth, and 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic in a pot over high heat. As soon as the mixture begins to boil, reduce the heat, and cover with a lid until the rice is cooked through.
Once the rice is cooked through, tender, and no liquid remains, stir in 3 tablespoons (1 large) lime juice and 3 tablespoons packed & finely chopped cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Chop or slice the cooked and cooled chicken.
- Chiffonade the lettuce and then coarsely chop to get small and thin pieces of lettuce.
For the dressing: Zest and juice the last remaining lime. Add the juice and zest to the blender along with the prepared ranch seasoning mix, remaining 1 teaspoon minced garlic, chopped tomatillo, and 1/3 of 1 bunch of cilantro (Just cut off the large stems, but the rest is fine). Add 1/2 a jalapeno (a full one for more kick, remove seeds) and the mayo.
- Add some seasoned salt and pepper to taste (I use 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper). Blend until completely smooth. Taste and adjust to personal preference (more lime, more garlic, salt/pepper). Whisk or blend in 1/2 cup of the sour cream.
!Put it together
- Place lettuce on the bottom of 6-8 bowls. Divide the rice evenly among the bowls. Divide the drained and rinsed corn + black beans evenly among the bowls.
- Top each bowl with lime wedges, a garnish of cilantro, pico de gallo, guacamole, and sour cream.
- Drizzle the dressing evenly over the bowls.
- Enjoy immediately.
More Delicious Meals from Chelsea’s Messy Apron: