Creamy Tuscan Sausage Pasta is pretty much a one pan wonder you will want to cook over and over again! Perfect for a busy night, this is a hearty comforting dish that will truly satisfy.
Italian Sausage Pasta
This is super easy pasta that will taste like you slaved over it all day. This Tuscan pasta has tender pasta, savory sausage, flavorful sun-dried tomatoes and spinach all smothered in a creamy decadent sauce. It’s insanely delicious and it’s fast. You can even argue that it’s made in one pan, especially if you already had pasta already cooked. This creamy sausage pasta hits the spot when comes to wanting something full of flavor and comforting. It’s going to become a quick family favorite.
This will feel like you’re eating at a fancy restaurant or having an intimate dinner for two all in the comfort of your own home. Pair this with a side of breadsticks, some roasted vegetables and a tasty chocolate dessert and you have fine dining on busy weekday at home. Whether it’s your first time with a Tuscan sauce or not, you have to try this tonight! You are going to love the way the sausage and sun-dried tomato come together in this sauce. It’s heavenly.
What Does “Tuscan” Mean?
Tuscan food is based on the Italian idea of cucina povera or “poor cooking.” It’s a concept of cooking that started very literally. It means simple meals that are inexpensive and could easily be made into large amounts. For instance this recipe can be doubled super easily as could this Tuscan pasta salad or vegetable and chicken stew. They are filling dishes that taste amazing without super expensive ingredients.
Tuscan cooking doesn’t use complicated seasonings or elaborate ingredients or even fancy creations. This is because they focus on using fresh, high quality ingredients that bring out incredible flavors without the extras. It’s delicious done simply and done right!
Ingredients for Sausage Pasta
Creating this creamy dish is fast and easy and doesn’t take a bunch of crazy ingredients. Pick your favorite type of ground sausage, pork, chicken and turkey all work really well. And you can control the spice level by what kind of sausage you get. Look for sun dried tomatoes either in the produce section or the canned vegetable aisle.
- Penne Pasta: Cook the pasta al dente
- Ground Sausage: Pick your favorite kind, mild, or spicy.
- Heavy Cream: This will create the creaminess in the sauce.
- Chicken Broth: Adds richness and flavor.
- Garlic Powder: Garlic is great flavor in this tuscan pasta.
- Italian Seasoning: I love this seasoning, it has all the great spices together. You can make your own here.
- Parmesan cheese: Love this cheese with this dish. Fresh is best if you have it.
- Spinach: Gives color, vitamins and nutrition.
- Sun Dried Tomatoes: Sweet and savory, these are just too good.
Making Pasta with Sausage
Truly this dish couldn’t be easier. You are going to love that it tastes so amazing but is so simple to through together. It’s perfect for a busy weekday, or a quiet weekend. Either way you have to try it!
- Pasta: Bring a large pot to boil and cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Sausage: In a large skillet add the sausage. Cook and crumble until it is no longer pink. Set aside on a plate
- Sauce: Add the heavy cream, chicken broth, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and parmesan cheese. Whisk over medium high heat until it starts to thicken. Add the spinach and sun-dried tomatoes and let it simmer until the spinach starts to wilt. Add the sausage back to the pan and add the pasta and stir until heated throughout.
Tips and Variations for Tuscan Sausage Pasta
Use your imagination and what you have on hand to create this splendid dish.
- Pasta: I love using pasta that can really soak up the sauce and hold it in its crevices. For this creamy sausage pasta you can use almost any pasta you like, even spaghetti if that’s what you have on hand. Try cavatappi, rigatoni, conchiglie, or fusilli for fun and ease.
- Al dente: Cook your pasta al dente. This means that the pasta is tender but is still chewy and holds it shape with a bit of firmness. This will allow the pasta to absorb the sauce a bit and hold on to the flavor in every bite.
- Sausage: You can use just about any sausage you would like. I prefer to use Italian sausage, which is just sausage flavored with Italians type spices versus regular sausage, but both will work. Italian sausage can be found in both mild and spicy, and either taste amazing. For lower fat versions try chicken or turkey Italian sausage.
- Heavy Cream: You can use half and half instead of heavy cream to also cut a few calories but it won’t quite have that richness.
- Spinach: If you don’t have fresh spinach, frozen will work. Be sure to really squeeze out any of the extra liquid. Kale and Swiss chard can also be used.
How to Store Creamy Tuscan Sausage Pasta
Like most Italian dishes, they are almost better the next day after the flavors have had time to meld together. Keep leftovers tightly covered in fridge for up to 4 days.
You can also keep this frozen for up to 4 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and reheat in the microwave or on the stove. If it needs thinning add a bit of chicken broth or water as it heats.
More Pasta Recipes to Devour
Pasta is an ideal comfort food, its customizable, filling and a great energy source. Adding pasta to leftovers is a great way to stretch meals and make them go further. Pasta is tender and you can flavor it in so many ways and with so many different foods, and it all just works. Pasta comes in so many fun shapes too. Try something new the next time you are at the store and grab a type of pasta you’ve never tried before. It puts a fun spin on old favorites. Need a new way to serve up pasta tonight? Try one of these tried and true favorites for dinner that’s guaranteed to win the family over.
- One Pot Cajun Chicken Alfredo Pasta
- Slow Cooker Pasta E Fagioli Soup
- Creamy Bacon Carbonara
- Lemon Garlic Parmesan Shrimp
- Three Cheese Stuffed Pasta Shells
Creamy Tuscan Sausage Pasta
- 8 ounce penne pasta uncooked
- 1 Pound Ground Sausage
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cups spinach chopped
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes
- Bring a large pot to boil and cook the pasta according to package directions.
- In a large skillet add the sausage. Cook and crumble until it is no longer pink. Set aside on a plate.
- Add the heavy cream, chicken broth, garlic powder, italian seasoning, and parmesan cheese. Whisk over medium high heat until it starts to thicken. Add the spinach and sundried tomatoes and let it simmer until the spinach starts to wilt. Add the sausage back to the pan and add the pasta and stir until heated throughout.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.