There are lots of ways to customize this meal and make it just how you like it. If you aren’t a fan of sweet peppers or onions, you can substitute them for different vegetable options. You can also omit the sausage completely for a vegetarian meal. Happy pumpkin season everyone!
Sausage Pumpkin Pasta
This sausage pasta recipe with pumpkin sauce is an easy dish to make — it takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish.
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound extra lean sausage
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup canned pumpkin not pumpkin pie filling
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and brown the sausage in it. Transfer sausage to paper towel-lined plate. Drain fat from skillet and return pan to the stove.
- Add the remaining tablespoon oil, and then the garlic, red pepper, yellow pepper and onion. Saute until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the chicken broth and pumpkin and stir to combine, stirring sauce until it comes to a bubble. Return sausage to pan, reduce heat and stir in the heavy cream.
- Season the sauce with the nutmeg, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Simmer mixture 5 to 10 minutes to thicken sauce.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions and then drain.
- Return the pasta to the pot you cooked it in and pour the sausage pumpkin sauce over the pasta.
- Top the pasta with Parmesan cheese and enjoy.