This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Barbacoa Beef that is AMAZING and tender and is better than any restaurant I have had! The flavor is amazing and it slow cooks to perfection!
This barbacoa can be made in so many variations. Add it to your favorite taco, burrito or even salad! If you love Mexican food, enjoy a refreshing Horchata Drink and Seven Layer Dip with chips to make this a complete meal.
Reason #346 why I love my slow cooker. It slow cooks this barbacoa beef to perfect tender and juicy melt in your mouth perfection. Is there anything better than barbacoa beef that is slow cooked all day and it just falls apart because it is so tender? I don’t think so! And I am pretty particular when it comes to eating beef. It has to be tender and juicy. I just can’t do that dry and chewy beef.
My hubby is a huge fan of Chipotle. I wanted to make this barbacoa beef for him and when I heard that it is better than Chipotle’s I couldn’t wait to make it. Just look how amazing and juicy that barbacoa beef looks! It shreds so easily and the flavor is so dang good! This barbacoa beef recipe is so simple to make and the slow cooker does all the work. It is one of the easiest and most delicious barbacoa recipes I have made.
What is Barbacoa?
Barbacoa is known to be an authentic Mexican meal that is made with beef, goat or lamb meat. The meat is heavily seasoned with chilies and spices then slow cooked until perfectly tender that it literally falls apart easily. Once it is cooked, the barbacoa is used to fill tacos, burritos and salads. It is one of the best meats and tastes amazingly delicious!
Barbacoa Beef Ingredients:
My husband said that this instantly became one of his favorite meals. He thought it was even better than Chipotle and we made it right at home! You are going to love it just as much as we did!
- Beef Brisket: Super tender beef that will soak in all the seasonings and spices making this barbacoa irresistible.
- Vegetable Oil: This will be used to seer the beef before placing it in the slow cooker.
- Chipotle Chili in Adobo: Adding a little heat. If you prefer not to have too much spice, just reduce the amount.
- Beef Broth: Soak the beef in beef broth making it tender and juicy.
- Minced Garlic: Fresh is best but you can use the minced garlic already minced.
- Ground Cumin and Dried Oregano: Together these seasonings build a flavorful coating.
- Salt and Black Pepper: Just add a pinch.
- Ground Cloves: Brings on a strong flavor to soak into the barbacoa beef.
- Fresh Lime Juice: Always my favorite when making Mexican food. It gives this barbacoa a zest.
How to Make Barbacoa Beef:
This beef has just enough of a kick to give it some awesome flavor and the spices come together perfectly. I love beef brisket so I used that and pan seared large cubes. It smelled so amazing while it cooked all day in my house and when it was finished it just fell apart.
- Prepare the beef: Cut the beef into large cubes. In a large skillet over medium high heat add the vegetable oil and sear the beef on each side. Transfer to your slow cooker.
- Blend the seasonings: In a food processor add adobo chilis, beef broth, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, cloves, and lime juice. Pulse until blended and pour on top of the meat.
- Slow Cook: Cook on low for 8-9 hours or high for 6 hours. Shred the meat with two forks and turn on warm.
The Recipe Critic Pro Tip:
For the most tender barbacoa beef cook on low instead of high for this recipe.
Sides to Serve with Barbacoa Beef:
What Should I Serve Barbacoa Beef In?
There are so many options for enjoying this beef barbacoa recipe. Stuff your barbacoa in a taco or burrito, fill a bowl or a wrap or add it to any salad or nacho. It is that simple and makes a complete meal within minutes.
Recommended Toppings for Barbacoa Beef:
Have fun with your barbacoa. Show it off and enjoy the tender, juicy flavors in every bite! These toppings for barbacoa is perfect and will create endless amounts of recipes.
- Lettuce: For a salad romaine or even iceberg are delicious to top
- Cheese: Mix up your favorite cheese together like monterey jack, Mexican blend, cotija or queso fresco.
- Tomatoes: Dice up fresh tomatoes to layer on top.
- Avocados: Slice up a ripe avocado and lay over top.
- Cilantro: Great for garnish and color but also adds a hint of flavor.
- Radishes: If you are a radish fan, add these for a bitter crunch.
- Onions: Dice them or slice them in anyway that you prefer.
- Guacamole: My homemade guacamole is always a treat or a store bought one works for ease.
- Salsa: A simple salsa is always tasty or a chunky one like Mango Lime Avocado Salsa is fresh and fun.
- Lime Chipotle Hummus: Spread hummus along the side of a tortilla or burrito.
More Amazing Mexican Recipes:
- Mexican Shrimp Skillet
- Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- Turkey Taco Stuffed Avocados
- Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken Tacos
- Grilled Spicy Blackened Salmon Tacos
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef
- Alyssa Also Recommends:
- Want to make this even easier? Here are a few products that I LOVE:
- Utopia Kitchen Cooking Knives
- Staub Cast Iron Skillet
- Crock-Pot Cook & Carry
- 4 lbs beef brisket or beef chuck roast will also work
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 - 4 chipotle chilis in adobo
- 1 1/4 cups beef broth
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp salt then more to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- Cut the beef into large cubes. In a large skillet over medium high heat add the vegetable oil and sear the beef on each side. Transfer to your slow cooker.
- In a food processor add adobo chilis, beef broth, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, cloves, and lime juice. Pulse until blended and pour on top of the meat.
- Cook on low for 8-9 hours or high for 6 hours. Shred the meat with two forks and turn on warm.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.