Slow cooker chicken and mushroom stroganoff takes just minutes to throw in the crock pot! It is so creamy and delicious and will become an instant family favorite!
The only thing better than pasta is pasta that you can make in a slow cooker or Instant Pot. It makes dinner a breeze! For more quick and easy pasta recipes your family will go crazy over, try this Instant Pot spaghetti, crock pot Olive Garden pasta, and slow cooker lemon chicken piccata!
Chicken and Mushroom Stroganoff in the Slow Cooker
This chicken and mushroom stroganoff is the perfect weeknight meal. It’s so easy to throw together and always satisfies! As soon as I got the kids to school I looked in my cupboard for ingredients and was able to throw this stroganoff into the slow cooker. It took under 5 minutes! All of my fellow busy moms rejoice.
It has minimal ingredients and the chicken cooks to tender and juicy perfection in the creamy mushroom sauce. I did use a can of cream of chicken soup but if you have some extra time you can make my homemade cream of chicken soup. The sauce is so easy, creamy, and perfect with some noodles tossed inside. Trust me when I say your family is going to go crazy over it! It’s picky eater-approved! Looking for more easy dinner recipes? Find more slow cooker dinners here. You’ll have to try my Instant Pot beef stroganoff as well!
What You’ll Need to Make It
I loved the flavor in the creamy sauce and the mushrooms hidden throughout were awesome. This was the perfect easy meal for the whole family. With how simple slow cooker chicken and mushroom stroganoff is, you will want to make it again and again! Check out the recipe card below for measurements.
- Chicken Breasts: I used boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes.
- Sliced Mushrooms: I used regular brown mushrooms, but cremini and baby bella mushrooms also work!
- Cream Cheese: You will want this to be softened so your sauce turns out lump-free.
- Cream of Chicken Soup: Use canned soup for easy prep or make your own from scratch! Find my full recipe here. For more mushroom flavor, you can also use cream of mushroom soup.
- Dry Onion Soup Mix: You only need one packet to give this stroganoff all the flavor it needs.
- Salt and Pepper: Season to taste.
- Fresh Parsley: Chopped and added on top for garnish! I love adding fresh herbs to my dishes because they not only look great, but add extra flavor and aromatics as well.
- Large Egg Noodles: It wouldn’t be stroganoff without ’em!
How to Make Chicken and Mushroom Stroganoff in the Slow Cooker
It’s so easy! This slow cooker chicken and mushroom stroganoff is the kind of recipe you can set and forget. Run your errands, pick up the kids, and then you have a delicious, hearty dinner to come home to!
- Add Chicken and Mushrooms: Place the chicken in the bottom of a lightly greased slow cooker. Then add the mushrooms.
Prepare Sauce: In a medium-sized bowl, add cream cheese, cream of chicken soup, and dry onion soup mix. Mix until incorporated and spread on top of chicken and mushrooms.
- Cook: Cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 3.
- Serve Over Pasta: Pour over noodles and sprinkle with fresh parsley and salt and pepper.
Tips and Serving Suggestions
If you are looking for an easy-to-make slow cooker meal that your family will love, this recipe is it! Here are a few simple ways to make it taste even better.
- Adding More Flavor: If you want your stroganoff to have stronger flavor, add a splash of Worcestershire sauce!
- Serve With: This creamy mushroom sauce and chicken works well with so many different things! I always go for stroganoff-style egg noodles, but white rice, brown rice, mashed potatoes, linguine, fettuccine, farfalle, and tagliatelle are all great options too!
A Reader’s Review
Not only is this chicken and mushroom stroganoff super easy to make, but it’s great for leftovers! Here’s how to keep it tasting delicious.
- In the Refrigerator: Store leftover stroganoff in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- In the Freezer: Store in a freezer bag for 1-2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
- To Reheat: Heat on the stove over medium heat. Add water or chicken broth as needed if the sauce is too thick.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Mushroom Stroganoff
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts cubed
- 8 ounce sliced mushrooms
- 1 8 ounce cream cheese softened
- 1 10 ½ ounce cream of chicken soup
- 1 envelope 1 ¼ ounce dry onion soup mix
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley chopped for garnish
- 8 ounces large egg noodles for serving
- Place the chicken in the bottom of a lightly greased slow cooker. Then add the mushrooms on top.
- In a medium-sized bowl add cream cheese, cream of chicken soup, and dry onion soup mix. Mix until incorporated and spread on top of chicken and mushrooms.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 3. Serve over noodles and top with fresh parsley and salt and pepper.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Making this tonight for dinner. I cooked the chicken a little bit in cubes first because I wanted it to be done in time for dinner. Also used cream of chicken mushroom soup makes the flavor so much more richer. Had to add milk because mine was fairly thick. All in all it was amazing!!!! Can’t wait to make it again.
Easy and SO flavorful. I make this at least a couple of times a month.
This was quick, easy & sooooooo yummy! My husband gave it a 10! Thank you for sharing this recipe.
Amazing! I made this last night. Everybody had seconds!!
I loved the recipe. It was easy to make and easy to add to. I added veggies. Sliced onions, green peppers, bay leaf, garlic, thyme and some spinach at the last. I also used chicken thighs. It turned very tasty.thanks, Gwen
Thawed or frozen chicken??
Thawed chicken is best. If you are using frozen, add more time for cooking.
Just made this because I had all the ingredients and needed a quick, easy meal. It turned out absolutely amazing! Thank you so much!
Hi….I’m in the middle of making a Crock Pot, Chicken thighs and Breasts (cut up), have added cut up carrots, a bit of celery, small onions, fresh garlic, and a few other spices. I want to add a creamy mushroom sauce! I have mushrooms, cream and sour cream. I put the chicken and veggies on. Please, how do I make the sauce and when do Add it? I’m just winging it at this point. This is only the second time I’ve used my Crock Pot. Need a bit of help from anyone please.
Can you cook your egg noodles in the Crock-Pot with this recipe? I’ve made a few where you add your noodles right to the Crock-Pot at the end and they cook in there within 15-25 minutes. Wondering if that would work with this.
This was wonderful! I adapted it to use the pressure cooker by adding some chicken broth. Otherwise I threw everything in and set it on 20 minutes, mixed in some sour cream and it was perfect.
A couple of questions:
How much chicken stock did put in? Did you cook the noodles in the pressure cooker?
what are the nutritional values
I have been adding all the nutritional facts to each of my recipes. I have added the nutrition facts to this recipe. Here is the link to that recipe. If you scroll to the bottom of the page, you fill find all of the nutritional information!! https://therecipecritic.com/slow-cooker-chicken-mushroom-stroganoff/
I hope this is helpful. Thanks so much for following along with me!
Very easy to make but wasn’t a fan, chicken soup over powering. Didnt taste like a stroganoff. Sour cream would be better over cream cheese.
Great recipe! Great rich flavorful chicken idea. And I looove egg noodles. I would homemake the soup next time. It was not as “clean” tasting as I would prefer. (But fine if ur used to canned soup) I know my crockpot well, so I know 4 hours on low is plenty of time for me. I added a small amount of chicken broth in the beginning and it was melt in your mouth, pull apart with a fork.
Loved it!! Followed the exact recipe but ended up adding a little bit of milk to make the sauce a little thinner and more spreadable over the pasta. The taste was amazing though and I would definitely recommended .
That sounds fantastic. Thank you for sharing! I am so glad that you loved it so much! Thank you for letting me know and following along with me!
Loved this dish. I used about half cream cheese and half sour cream as that’s what I had handy. Thickened with cornflour and threw some green vegies in at the end. Soooooo tasty
Thank you for sharing! That is so nice of you!
I’m excited to try the new recipes and I’ll let you know how they turned out for me.
I can’t wait to try this, I only have thigh fillets, and creamy chicken and mushroom soup, hope it’s delicious, will let you know. Thanks for the recipe.
My three year old daughter absolutely gobbled this up! It’s nice to be able to have a hearty home cooked meal ready for us on busy days! I love chicken over ground beef and so does my daughter. Delicious and soo tasty.
Good recipe. I put the chicken breast in without cutting them. It was on low for 6 hours . The chicken wasn’t dry and fell apart with shredding. The liquid was pretty nonexistent so next time may add some chicken broth. I served it over riced cauliflower.
This was very good! I did end up adding some cornstarch to thicken the sauce and some sour cream in the end to give it more of a stroganoff taste. And I also waited until the chicken was cooked in the slow cooker to then pull it out and cube it. I hate have to cut up uncooked chicken when I don’t have to. I also used that time to doctor the sauce. It was not anywhere near salty as I worried it may be because of other reviews. I’m sure my husband will be requesting this again soon! Thanks for the recipe!
How long to cook this onca stove?
I tried this recipe with whole pieces of chicken in the slow cooker. Perhaps I left it too long. While the sauce was delicious the chicken was very dry. Would searing the chicken in a fry pan first help?
Slow cookers today cook at a higher temperature. I find I have to check much sooner to see if done.