This is the easiest slow cooker pork carnitas recipe that is full of flavor and cooks all day to tender and juicy perfection! A carnitas recipe that you will make again and again!
Use this amazing pork in my Creamy Pork Carnitas Pasta recipe. It will combine all the flavors you love in this easy slow cooker pork with a creamy pasta for a complete meal your family will love!
Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
If you have been following the blog then it is no secret that I love my slow cooker. Most of my favorite recipes here on the blog are cooked in the slow cooker. It is so nice as a busy mom to just throw something in the slow cooker and let it do its thing. Then when dinner time rolls around you have an amazing meal ready.
Well I am here to tell you today that I found one of my favorite slow cooker pork recipes. It slow cooks for eight hours in a spice rub and a citrus marinade and the flavor is out of this world! The outside edges get crisp and the inside is melt in your mouth tender. It is a must try recipe that is insanely delicious!
What’s In Pork Carnitas?
These ingredients come together to make a perfect rub for the pork and a great marinade for it to soak in all day while it cooks. The flavors are incredible and you will be shocked by how easy it is and how amazing your kitchen smells while it is cooking!
- Pork Shoulder: Ask your butcher to help you choose a high quality meat since it will be the star of this recipe and you want a great cut.
- Chili Powder: Adds a bit of spice.
- Cumin: Warm spice for a great depth of flavor.
- Oregano: Adds earthy and a hint of earthy flavors.
- Salt and Pepper: To taste.
- Orange and Lime juice: You won’t specifically taste the orange or lime juice. They will just add a hint of brightness to the flavor.
- Garlic: Minced garlic adds rich flavor.
- Onion: Quartered onion will add deep flavor and moistness.
How to Slow Cook Pork:
The pork comes out of the slow cooker and just falls apart it is so tender. You can either eat the pork right out of the slow cooker or broil it in the oven to give it a crisp edge.
- Combine seasonings and coat pork: In a small bowl combine chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper. Rub on the outside of the pork shoulder rub thoroughly.
- Combine remaining ingredients in slow cooker: Combine orange juice, lime juice, garlic and onion in the slow cooker, then place pork on the top. Finally, cook on low for 8 hours or high 4-5 hours.
- Shred Pork: Remove roast from slow cooker and shred. Next, return to slow cooker and heat for an additional 30 minutes.
- Broil: Remove the pork from the slow cooker and place on a baking sheet. Broil in the oven for 3-4 minutes to brown the edges of the pork.
What Goes with Pork Carnitas?
This slow cooker pork is so versatile and can be used in tacos, burritos, quesadillas, you name it. It will add delicious flavor and taste to whatever you use it for. Soon, this recipe will become a family favorite and you will use it again and again! Here are a few more ideas to help you finish off these delicious slow cooker pork carnitas.
- Toppings: Sprinkle generously with fresh cilantro, onion, lime juice, shredded cheese, guacamole, or pico de gallo.
- Serve with: Homemade tortillas or nachos.
Storing your Cooked Pork:
This recipe makes a huge amount of meat! So, you will want to store what you don’t use right away to use all week in your tacos, nachos or with a fresh salad. Here are my tips for how to properly store your pork so it will last as long as possible.
- To Store: Place cooked pork in a shallow air-tight container or wrap tightly in heavy duty aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
- Refrigerator: When properly stored, your pork will last 3-5 days in the refrigerator.
- Freezer: If you can’t use up all this juicy meet in 5 days, place it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Slow Cooker Pork Recipes:
- Mississippi Pork Roast
- Pork Chili Verde
- Sweet Carolina Pulled Pork Sliders
- Brown Sugar Balsamic Glazed Pork
- Jerk Pork with Caribbean Salsa
Slow Cooker Carnitas Recipe
- 4 pounds pork shoulder roast
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup orange juice 2 oranges
- 1/4 cup lime juice 2 limes
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion quartered
- In a small bowl combine chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper. Rub on the outside of the pork shoulder rub thoroughly.
- In the slow cooker, combine orange juice, lime juice, garlic and onion. Place pork on the top. Cook on low for 8 hours or high 4-5 hours.
- Remove roast from slow cooker and shred. Return to slow cooker and heat for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove the pork from the slow cooker and place on a baking sheet. Broil in the oven for 3-4 minutes to brown the edges of the pork.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.