Smothered Pork Chops in an Amazing Mushroom Gravy are tender, savory, and satisfying. This one pan dinner is the perfect comforting dinner at home that your family will love!
Also try these Easy Crock Pot Pork Chops that are fall-apart tender and ridiculously simple to make. They are the perfect weekday family meal!
Smothered Pork Chops in an Amazing Mushroom Gravy
When you need a restaurant quality meal at home, these smothered pork chops are the perfect choice! The creamy gravy is so flavorful thanks to the one-pan method this recipe uses. Those delicious bits on the bottom of the pan get scraped up into the gravy along with earthy mushrooms and rich heavy cream. Smother your pork in this flavorful and satisfying gravy for the perfect juicy meat.
This meal is not only incredibly delicious, but it is also affordable and a family favorite. Everyone will be treated to rich flavors that taste like a splurge, but can be whipped up within a budget on any weeknight. The creamy gravy and tender, fall apart meat is homemade goodness that will make you a very popular cook!
One thing missing from this ingredient list is canned soup! This is a made-from-scratch recipe that is just as easy as using cans, without all those unknown ingredients.
- Olive oil: Add to pan warmed to medium high heat before adding in pork chops.
- Salt and pepper: To taste.
- Thick cut pork chops: Either bone-in or boneless will work, just adjust your cook time since bone-in will take a few minutes more on each side.
- Sliced mushrooms: Crimini, white, or portobello all work well.
- Butter: Add to pan and whisk with flour to begin gravy.
- Flour: Whisk together with butter until brown to start your gravy.
- Beef Broth: Adds flavorful base to the gravy.
- Heavy Cream: Thick rich cream in the gravy mixed together with Worcestershire.
- Worcestershire sauce: Adds a little bit of tanginess to the gravy.
How to Make Smothered Pork Chops and Gravy:
Depending on the size of your pork chops, this could easily be a 30-minute meal! On top of being quick, clean-up is simple because it is all made in one pan!
- Heat oil: In a medium sized skillet over medium high heat add the olive oil.
- Season pork chops and cook: Salt and pepper the pork chops and add to the sauce pan. Cook on each side for 4-5 minutes on each side until cooked through and golden. Remove and set aside on a plate.
- Sauté mushrooms: Add the mushrooms and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Set aside on plate with pork chops.
- Whisk together gravy: Add 4 Tablespoons butter and flour to skillet and whisk until it turns brown. Slowly stir in beef broth and heavy cream. Add worchestershire sauce and dijon mustard and bring to a simmer until sauce starts to thicken. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine and simmer: Add the pork chops and mushrooms back to the skillet and let simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Serve: Plate and serve over mashed potatoes if desired.
Add Some Sides:
A complete meal is closer than you think when you start with these savory smothered pork chops! For low-carb sides try Mashed cauliflower and Sautéed Garlic Asparagus with Bacon. Or for a buttery rich pairing try Dad’s Famous Mashed potatoes. Finally add a Perfect Soft Buttery Roll on the side and you have a comforting and satisfying meal your entire family will love!
Tips for the Perfect Pork Chops:
- Pork Chops: Bring meat to room temperature and pat them dry before seasoning and cooking. Make sure your pork reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees to be considered fully cooked.
- Mushrooms: Do not salt your mushrooms until after you have sautéed them to allow them to get great color.
- Do not wipe out pan: Leave the drippings an brown pieces in the pan after cooking the meat because it adds great flavor to the gravy. In fact you may want to scrape them off the bottom with your spatula to be sure they mix in.
- Storing cooked pork: Allow meat to cool completely before storing in an airtight container. Cooked pork chops with gravy will keep well for up to 3 days in the refrigerator or 2-3 months in the freezer.
- Reheat: To warm up stored leftovers, place on a skillet on medium low until warm throughout.
More Favorite Pork Chop Recipes:
- Cast Iron Skillet Pork Chops
- Grilled Spinach and Herb Stuffed Pork Chops
- Skillet Pork Chops with Vegetables
- Sheet Pan Crispy Cheddar Pork Chops
- Creamy Parmesan Pork Chops
Smothered Pork Chops in an Amazing Mushroom Gravy
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- salt and pepper for seasoning the pork chops
- 4 thick cut pork chops
- 6 ounce sliced mushrooms
- 5 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium sized skillet over medium high heat add the olive oil. Salt and pepper the pork chops and add to the sauce pan. Cook on each side for 4-5 minutes on each side until cooked through and golden. Remove and set aside on a plate.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Set aside on plate with pork chops.
- Add the pork chops and mushrooms back to the skillet and let simmer for a couple of minutes. Serve over mashed potatoes if desired.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.