Three Cheese Zucchini Gratin takes zucchini and layers it between creamy cheesy sauce and topped with a crunchy buttery topping. Ooey, gooey cheesy and comforting it’s a side dish to please any crowd. This is so amazingly delicious you’ll forget that you’re eating a vegetable!
Three Cheese Zucchini Gratin is a twist on the classic Creamy Scalloped Potatoes. Gatins are so creamy and indulgent, they make any meal a joy to serve and eat. Try Creamy Cauliflower Au Gratin with Bacon or Potato and Mushroom Gratin for more tasty gratins.
Three Cheese Zucchini Gratin
If you want a side dish to impress this is it. Not only is Zucchini tasty, it’s good for you too. It’s low calorie and packed with antioxidants and vitamins B and C. It’s also high in potassium. Even more reasons to make this tantalizing side dish.
This goes perfectly with grilled meats and seafood. Or try a roasted chicken, or baked salmon for a super satisfying meal. You could just have this as your main dish served with a loaf of crusty bread and a side salad and you’ve got a delectable dinner.
Zucchini Gratin Ingredients
- Zucchini: 6 medium zucchini sliced
- Mozzarella Cheese: Adds great ooey-ness
- Parmesan Cheese: This is such a great flavorful cheese
- Cheddar Cheese: Always a favorite for flavor and color
- Milk: Any percent of milk will do, skim, 1%, 2% or even whole.
- Heavy Whipping Cream: Don’t confuse this Frozen Cool whip, that would be bad.
- Flour: Thickening agent
- Butter: Everything’s better with butter
- Salt: Add more or less to taste.
- Garlic Powder: Trust me, you want garlic in this.
- Bread Crumbs: You can use Panko or Regular bread crumbs
- Parmesan: More flavor and texture, I use gratered.
- Butter: Holds it all together and helps it taste amazing.
Making 3 Cheese Zucchini Gratin
- Sauce: In a medium sauce pan melt the butter and whisk in the flour till thick. Slowly whisk in the milk and heavy cream. Stir in the cheese and mix till melted. Add in the garlic powder and salt.
- Layer: Cut the zucchini into ¼ inch slices. Layer on the bottom of sprayed 2 quart casserole dish. Spoon some of the sauce on top of the first layer. Layer more zucchini and sauce till you’ve used it all ending with sauce last.
- Top: For the topping mix together the bread crumbs and parmesan and sprinkle on top. Pour the melted butter on top.
- Bake: Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 min till bubbly and heated through. Broil the top for about 5 min. till golden brown.
Tips and Variations for Cheese Zucchini Gratin
- Cheese: You can definitely mix up the cheeses to your liking or to work with what you’re serving. From cream cheese, feta, to pepper jack you can get creative with it.
- Zucchini: Slice your zucchini evenly so that they cook at the same rate. You can use yellow zucchini here as well or a mixture of both.
- Cream: You can use half and half if you want to reduce the fat a bit.
- Spices: Add in different spices for extra zing. Make it Italian with basil, and oregano. Mexican, use cumin, chili powder and paprika. Add spices to your liking
- Topping: For a fun twist try French Fried Onions on top. They are so yummy.
- Pre-cook: You can pre-cook your zucchini some to reduce the moisture it’ll give off. I recommend sauteing.
Make Ahead and Store
- Make Ahead: You can mix this up and freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge then bake as directed. You may need to add 5-10 min to make sure it cooks all the way through.
- Fridge: Keep in a sealed container for up to 3 days in the fridge.
- Freezer: With so much dairy I don’t recommend freezing cooked casserole. It can separate and be grainy when thawed.
More Zucchini Recipes to Try
Zucchini is just so good and versatile, you can make so much with it.
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
- My Favorite Zucchini Bread
- Zucchini Pizza
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Three Cheese Zucchini Gratin
- 6 Zucchini medium sized
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan grated
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray with cooking spray a 2 quart casserole dish.
- In a medium saucepan melt 2 Tablespoons butter. Whisk in the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes until it has thickened up. Slowly whisk in milk and heavy cream. Add in cheese and continue to mix until cheese has melted. Stir in garlic powder and salt and set aside.
- Cut zucchini in ¼ inch slices. Layer on the bottom of the casserole dish. Add about 3 Tablespoons of cheese sauce on the top and continue to layer the zucchini and cheese sauce.
- For the topping, mix together the bread crumbs and parmesan. Sprinkle over the top of the zucchini layer. Pour the 1 Tablespoon of melted butter on the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and heated through. Broil the top for about 5 minutes until it is golden brown.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.