Tuna Melt is the ultimate sandwich with a flavorful tuna fish mixture, slices of cheddar cheese, freshly sliced tomatoes all melted together in a skillet on a thick, crispy golden bread. This sandwich will literally melt in your mouth!
The Best Tuna Melt Sandwich
This is the ultimate tuna melt sandwich recipe! This sandwich will literally just melt in your mouth, it is that good. First off, this tuna salad mixture is AMAZING and full of SO much flavor when all layered and melted together because of the tuna mixture. To make this tuna mixture, start by draining the tuna and add together mayonnaise a few vegetables, Dijon mustard and parsley. It is simple to make and mixes together quickly and easily. Then, layer with cheese and tomato and melt it all together. Again, it is that simple! I have two ways I love to make it even: broiled or on a skillet! Try both and find out which way is best to cook your tuna melt sandwich too.
Tuna melt sandwich comes together quickly and easily. Plus there will be left overs for sure! Simply make the tuna fish mixture and keep it in an airtight container stored in the refrigerator. When it is time to make a tuna melt sandwich it is all prepared and ready to make since it is already stored in the refrigerator making it easier and quicker to layer and then melt the sandwich. It is one of my favorite sandwiches and the bonus is my kids love it too! The golden crust on the outside is so appealing, then the soft tuna mixture with a minimal crunchy texture from the onions and tomatoes. This combination is out of this world good!
What is a Tuna Melt?
A tuna melt consists of some kind of tuna salad mixture that is a mixed together with vegetables in the tuna then melted between two slices of bread. Melted sandwiches are known to be a hot sandwich that usually consists of cheese being melted and some other layers inside the sandwich like tomatoes or pickles for a crunchy texture. Another common filling is usually mayonnaise or a specialty mustard. These melted sandwiches can be served open faced sandwich or closed faced sandwich.
Tuna Melt Recipe Ingredients:
This tuna melt recipe comes together quickly and easily when making this for your family. It is so good and tastes like a million bucks! Seriously! You won’t be able to stop making these. The tuna fish mixture does well stored in an airtight container and ready to be layered on your sandwich in a moments notice. Enjoy the tuna melt sandwich with chips or even potato wedges as a side dish.
- Tuna Fish: Drained from the can and mixed together.
- Mayonnaise: This is added to the tuna fish to make it rich and creamy.
- Celery: Sliced into small pieces.
- Red Onion: Sliced and diced up.
- Dijon Mustard: This has so much flavor and adds to the creaminess in the mixture.
- Parsley: One of my favorite seasonings!
- Salt and Pepper: Just a pinch!
- Bread: I like a thicker piece of bread but anything that you prefer is best.
- Cheddar Cheese: Slice cheese thinly and add it to the sandwich to be melted.
- Tomato: Sliced thin and layered on the sandwich.
- Butter: Butter the outside of the bread that will be touching the skillet.
How to Cook a Classic Tuna Melt:
Simply mix together the tuna fix mixture then start layering ingredients over top a thick piece of bread. Melt it all together and have the perfect classic tuna melt sandwich! Make this a complete meal by adding in my favorite sweet potato fries and taste the flavor combination.
- Mix together the tuna fish mixture: In a medium sized bowl combine the tuna, mayonnaise, celery, red onion, dijon mustard, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Prepare the bread for grilling: Butter each slice of bread. Putting the butter side down add the cheese on the unbuttered side.
- Layer the sandwich: Add the tuna mixture on top. Top with tomato and additional cheese.
- Preheat a skillet to medium heat: Add the sandwich on the skillet and heat for about 2-3 minutes until cheese starts to melt and it is golden brown. Flip to the other side and cook until the cheese is fully melted then the sandwich is golden brown.
- Preheat a broiler: Spread the bread butter side up and toast for a couple of minutes. Top with cheese, tuna mixture and broil for 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted.
Variations of Tuna Melts Sandwiches:
- Less Carbs: Wrap it up in a lettuce wrap or have an open faced sandwich to help reduce the amount of carbs on this sandwich.
- Tuna Fish: Find a low sodium or calorie tuna fish that works best for you.
- Tuna Fish Salad Mixture: Add in shredded carrots, diced jalapeños for some added spice or silvered almonds.
- Cheese: Have a favorite slice of cheese?! Enjoy the luxury of making the cheese monetary cheddar, asiago cheese, jalapeño jack cheese for some spice or Colby jack cheese.
- Inside Filling: For an extra crunch try sliced pickles, soft avocados or lettuce with the tomatoes.
- Bread: Try an English muffin, white bread, whole grain bread, whole wheat tortilla or a thick bagel for different variations of tuna melt sandwiches.
More Tasty Sandwich Recipes:
- Grilled Turkey Florentine Sandwich
- Slow Cooker Chicken Caesar Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- Basil Pesto Chicken Sandwich
- Monte Cristo Croissant Sandwich
Ultimate Tuna Melt
- 4 cans 4 ounce tuna fish, drained
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup celery finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons parsley chopped
- salt and pepper
- 8 slices bread I used French bread
- 16 slices cheddar cheese more if you want a layer on the bottom
- tomato sliced
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- In a medium sized bowl combine the tuna, mayonnaise, celery, red onion, dijon mustard, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Butter each slice of bread. Putting the butter side down add the cheese on the unbuttered side. Add the tuna mixture on top. Top with tomato and additional cheese.
- Preheat a skillet to medium heat. Add the sandwich on the skillet and heat for about 2-3 minutes until cheese starts to melt and it is golden brown. Flip to the other side and cook until the cheese is fully melted and sandwich is golden brown.
- Preheat a broiler. Spread the bread butter side up and toast for a couple of minutes. Top with cheese, tuna mixture and Broil for 2-3 miutes until cheese is melted.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.