This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Crispy Garlic Sweet Potato Fries are thick cut sweet potatoes baked in olive oil and then seasoned with garlic powder and Italian seasoning for a crispy outside and a tender inside. The perfect side dish or snack!
There are so many delicious ways to make a fry! If you love a variety of ways to enjoy fries try this Best Ever Baked Parmesan Garlic Potato Wedges, Baked Zucchini Fries, Crispy Garlic Avocado Fries (Baked) or Parmesan Herb Asparagus Fries with Creamy Greek Yogurt Ranch.
Crispy Garlic Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite side dishes. They are easy to make, have so much flavor and the best part is, they are healthy! There are a variety of ways to enjoy sweet potatoes. When I am in need of a quick and easy recipe for a dinner meal these sweet potato recipes are my favorites for side dishes: 3 Ingredient Candied Sweet Potatoes, Mashed Sweet Potatoes or Roasted Honey Cinnamon Butter Sweet Potatoes. I knew I needed a side dish or snack that was light and tasty but full of flavor.
These homemade sweet potato fries are just what you are looking for. They are delicious, easy to make and have that crispy skin with soft, moist sweet potato inside. It is the perfect combination for sure! After I made them and set them out for us to try, they were gone in minutes and my family was begging for more. I couldn’t resist baking a second batch right away. You are going to love adding these as a side dish or enjoying them as a snack!
What you Need to Bake Crispy Garlic Sweet Potato Fries:
These ingredients are just what you need to bake the perfect crispy garlic sweet potato fry! They are simple to make with minimum ingredients. Sweet potato fries have never been so good and healthy too!
- Sweet Potatoes
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Garlic Powder
- Italian Seasoning
- Ground Black Pepper
How to Make Crispy Garlic Sweet Potato Fries:
To make and prepare baked sweet potato fries, first it is best to wash and peel the sweet potatoes. You can use a peeler to help with peeling or a knife carefully cutting off the skin. Cut the end off the sweet potatoes then slice the potatoes into long strips.
Once your sweet potatoes are cut and ready to prepare then season them and place on a baking sheet. These are best served hot with your favorite dipping sauce.
- Prepare sweet potatoes: Preheat oven to 400*F. Cut each sweet potato lengthwise in half. Cut each half into 1/2 inch slices.
- Season the sweet potatoes: In a large bowl add the potato strips, olive oil, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper.
- Bake sweet potatoes: Arrange potatoes in a single layer on a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with any remaining coating. Bake for 25-30 minutes until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Garnish and serve: Garnish with fresh parsley and serve with ketchup, ranch, or sauce of choice.
How to Make Crispy Sweet Potato Fries?
I get asked this all of the time. There is a little secret to creating that crispy outer shell on a sweet potato when baking. When preparing your sweet potato you will want to make sure your slices are thick. I like to cut about 1/4″ thick to 1/2″ thick. This will ensure a thick crispy outer shell. Next, is the secret to help. Soak the sweet potatoes in ice cold water for about 30 minutes. This will take away any extra starch or moisture that the sweet potatoes may have. Once they have soaked long enough, completely dry them with a paper towel by patting them dry. Finish by following the recipe directions for a crispy garlic sweet potato fry.
What to Serve with Crispy Garlic Sweet Potato Fries:
I love a good side of sweet potato fries next to my hamburger or sandwich. I knew that I needed to make these soon and enjoy them with my Spinach Feta Turkey Burgers or Melt in Your Mouth Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwich. Make this a complete meal with these simple to make crispy garlic sweet potato fry recipe!
Sweet Potato Fries Dipping Sauce:
Having these crispy garlic sweet potato fries just as a snack is perfect for me! They are a healthy part of my day with loads of flavor. They are satisfying and still make me feel good that I am not indulging in candy or other snacks to fill me up.
These are perfect to eat as is or if you are like me, I like to dip. In the photos I found a store bought avocado ranch dip that was SO good! I also tried these crispy garlic sweet potato fries with some of my classic favorite sauces and it was AMAZING the combination.
- Fry Sauce: a mixture of ketchup and mayonnaise
- Campfire Sauce: a mixture of BBQ sauce and mayonnaise
- Easy Homemade BBQ Sauce
- Copycat Chic Fil A Sauce
- Honey Mustard
Tips on Making Crispy Garlic Sweet Potato Fries:
- Selecting sweet potatoes: Look for sweet potatoes that are smooth and not too many curves in the sweet potato. If you can, find sweet potatoes that are about the same length. When looking for sweet potatoes, pick the sweet potatoes that are labeled “yams”. They are a reddish color.
- How to cut sweet potato fries: It is best to have all the sweet potato slices the same thickness in cut. This will help the fries cook evenly. A sharp knife is best or even using a fry cutter.
- Crispy fries: Place your fries in an ice cold bath before seasoning them. This will remove any moisture in the sweet potatoes. Once they are completely dry by patting them softly, add cornstarch to the sweet potatoes following the seasoning mixture.
- Baking sweet potato fries: Move your oven rack to the upper third in the oven to ensure your sweet potato fries won’t get burn and still be cooked through.
More Delicious Recipes featuring Sweet Potatoes:
- The Best Sweet Potato Casserole
- Sweet Potato Hash
- Cranberry Pecan Sweet Potato Wild Rice Pilaf
- Maple Sweet Potato Pancakes
- Skillet Sweet Potatoes Shepherd’s Pie
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Crispy Garlic Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cut each sweet potato lengthwise in half. Cut each half into 1/2 inch slices.
- In a large bowl add the potato strips, olive oil, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper.
- Arrange potatoes in a single layer on a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with any remaining coating. Bake for 25-30 minutes until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve with ketchup, ranch, or sauce of choice.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.