These Easy Witch Hat Cookies are sure to put a spell on your Halloween party guests! With a fudge cookie base and a Hershey’s kiss on top, they are simple to put together and delicious to eat. These are the perfect treat for kids to help assemble and clean-up is a breeze.
Halloween season is one of my favorites because it’s perfectly acceptable to let your inner child out! Dressing up, eating candy, and making silly desserts are some of the things I look forward to the most about the season. If you are like me and can’t wait to make some spooky (or just straight-up adorable) treats, you’ve got to try my Mummy Hot Dogs, this bewitching Hocus Pocus Charcuterie Board, or these fun and silly Halloween Donut Hole Pops.
Easy Witch Hat Cookies
Believe me when I say these cookies are SO easy and fun to make! They take 20 minutes to put together and are a great activity to do with kids or friends. And they are beyond delicious! They add so much flare to your Halloween spread, and the best part is you don’t have to deal with a messy cleanup! These cookies are fudge stripe cookies from the grocery store, and the signature pointy hat is made from a Hershey’s Kiss.
A great thing about this Easy Witch Hat Cookie recipe is that you can totally customize it! You can make your own cookie base, use different colors for the decor, and add sprinkles or glitter to your heart’s content. They really do look like a witches hat and served with Poison Caramel Apples and Mummy Cookie Bites, you’ll be the spookiest house on the block!
Witch Hat Cookie Ingredients
You will want a piping bag and tip for this recipe. It makes it so much easier to get a clean line for the Kiss to sit on top of, and you will like the finished result more! You will need to head to the grocery store for these supplies so don’t forget to pick up a piping tip if you don’t already have one. See the recipe card at the bottom of the page for the exact measurements.
- Fudge-Striped Cookies: I bought these from the cookie aisle at my local grocery store.
- Hershey’s Kisses: I love their classic milk chocolate, but you can switch up the flavor by getting dark chocolate, or even caramel filled!
- White Buttercream Frosting: I bought mine in the baking section of the grocery store.
- Food Coloring: I got orange, yellow, purple, and green for a traditional Halloween-colored dessert.
- Sanding Sugar: You can add flare to your buttercream by purchasing the same color sanding sugar as your food coloring. This is an optional ingredient.
How to Assemble Easy Witch Hat Cookies
This is the perfect Halloween treat to make with a group of friends or with your kids. It’s easy, fun, and has a fast clean-up. You get right to the fun part of decorating and eating!
- Pipe Frosting: Pipe a small amount of frosting onto the cookie, then attach Hershey kisses to the bottom of each cookie.
- Color Buttercream and Decorate: Color buttercream desired colors. I used orange, purple, and green with yellow for the buckle. Then pipe around the base of the kisses using a #3 piping tip. Next, dust buttercream with sanding sugar of the same color, if desired.
- Pipe Buckle: Then, pipe a square buckle on one side of the Hershey’s Kiss using a #2 piping tip, if desired.
- Store: Keep stored in an airtight container until ready to serve. Avoid stacking the cookies if possible.
Tips and Variations
These Halloween Witch Hat Cookies are so simple and versatile, you can completely make them your own! Experiment with flavors and colors to create new and exciting treats every Halloween season.
- Make the Cookie: A fresh chocolate cookie as a base would be delicious! Just make sure they are completely cooled before putting the Kiss on top or they might melt!
- Make the Buttercream: A homemade white chocolate buttercream would take this cookie to the next level! It’s simple to make and you can easily add your favorite flavors and colors to it.
- Use Different Flavors of Kisses: I used the classic chocolate kiss, but you can use whatever flavor you feel inspired to! I would just make sure to buy a flavor that is still dark brown so that it fits the theme of a witch hat.
How to Store Leftovers
These Witch Hat Cookies are so cute and yummy, I doubt you will have any leftovers! But if you are making them ahead or need to store them, here are a few tips to keep them fresh.
- On the Counter: Store these cookies in an airtight container or covered by plastic wrap and leave them on the counter. They will be freshest if eaten within two days because of the buttercream. They will be ok to eat for up to 5 days. It is best to keep them on a flat surface, stacking them could break the top off.
Easy Witch Hat Cookies
- 1 package 16 ounce fudge-striped cookies
- 32 Hershey kisses unwrapped
- 1 tub 4.25 ounce white buttercream frosting
- Food coloring
- Sanding sugar optional
- Attach Hershey kisses to the bottom of each cookie using a small amount of frosting piped around the center of the cookie.
- Color buttercream desired colors, I used orange, purple, and green with yellow for the buckle, and pipe around the base of the kisses using a #3 piping tip. Dust buttercream with sanding sugar of the same color, if desired.
- Pipe a square buckle on one side of the Hershey kiss using a #2 piping tip, if desired.
- Keep stored in an airtight container until ready to serve. Avoid stacking the cookies if possible.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.