Zucchini Lasagna is a low-carb, gluten free twist on your favorite Italian comfort food. This is an absolutely scrumptious way to use all that zucchini from your garden.
Round out this satisfying family Zucchini Lasagna with a nice salad and tasty bread. Try these excellent choices: Miracle No Knead Bread, Focaccia Bread, Mouthwatering Strawberry Spinach Salad, or this refreshing Greek Salad with the Best Dressing.
Homemade Zucchini Lasagna
Everyone loves lasagna and this Zucchini Lasagna will be no different. With the same satisfying taste and even texture of regular lasagna, this soon to be new family favorite will have them coming back for seconds and even thirds. Just like regular lasagna, you can make this ahead of time. Make it the night before and pop it into the oven when ready. Or even better make and freeze for up to 2 months for a busy day when you need a good quick homemade meal.
Comfort food that is soul satisfying and low-carb, gluten free and keto friendly is like a dream come true. You’ll never miss the pasta with this gratifying dish. Delicately sliced zucchini is layered between hearty zesty Italian sauce. It’s a perfect blend of spices and meat in a vibrant tomato sauce. Smothered in with an indulgent ricotta and parmesan cheese layer and smooth mozzarella it’s a feast everyone will LOVE!
Zucchini Lasagna Ingredients:
Don’t let these ingredients scare you! This is a perfect combination of deliciousness that your family is going to love.
- Olive Oil: I like to use Extra Virgin Olive Oil for it’s flavor
- Onion: Dice well, you don’t want large chunks of onion
- Ground Beef: You could substitute ground turkey or ground chicken
- Italian Sausage: This will give it the meal it’s zest, if you like spicy for Hot Italian Sausage.
- Crushed Tomatoes: Gives the recipe some texture with out the lumps
- Tomato Sauce: Use low sodium to make it just heart healthier.
- Tomato Paste: Gives richness and body without extra water.
- Italian Seasoning: Don’t skimp on the seasoning. Zucchini will take on the flavor
- Sugar: Cuts the acidity in the tomato sauce so don’t leave out.
- Fresh Basil: Can use dried basil, just half as much.
- Ricotta Cheese: Low fat works great if you want.
- Parmesan: Make sure it’s finely grated to make sure it melts well.
- Egg: Adding an egg to the ricotta helps bind the cheese together and makes it rich and creamy.
- Zucchini: Keep the zucchini the same length for even “noodles”
- Mozzarella Cheese: Buy pre-shredded mozzarella for faster prep.
How to Make Lasagna:
A rich zesty meat sauce is layered with a cheesy, creamy ricotta and thinly sliced zucchini that has been cooked to perfection. All of it is topped with ooey, gooey Parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
- Saute: In a large skillet saute the onions in olive oil till tender.
- Cook: To the onions add the beef and sausage and cook and crumble till brown and cooked through
- Add: Next stir in the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, sugar and basil. Let it simmer on low heat.
- Mix: In a separate bowl mix the ricotta cheese, parmesan and egg together thoroughly.
- Layer: In a 9×13 well oiled pan begin to layer the lasagna starting with 1 cup of the meat sauce then the zucchini, followed by the ricotta mix and then some mozzarella cheese. You’ll repeat the layers and end with ooey gooey mozzarella on top.
- Bake: Cover with a aluminium foil and bake in 375 degree oven for 20 min. Then remove the foil and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes till heated through.
- Cool: Cool for at least 10 min to help the lasagna set before cutting.
Tips And Tricks for the BEST Zucchini Lasagna:
Zucchini has a lot water in it naturally, use some of these tips to make sure your BEST Zucchini Lasagna isn’t soggy.
- Slice: To slice the zucchini thinly use a mandoline to get even 1/8″ slices.
- Salt: Salt the zucchini to draw out the water and let it sit for 15 minutes, then pat thoroughly dry. If you use kosher salt it’ll be easier to wipe it off.
- Dry: Broil or grill your zucchini slices to dry out even further and give it a little extra flavor as well.
- Thicken: Make sure your sauce is good and thick, if you need to thicken it take 1 Tablespoon of cornstarch mixed in 2 Tablespoons of cold water and stir into your sauce bringing it to a boil. Having a thick sauce will help absorb any water released from the zucchini.
- Sneaky: If all else fails you can layer uncooked lasagna noodles on the very bottom of your pan. It won’t be completely gluten free but the uncooked noodles will soak up any liquid. You can always remove that bottom layer to make it low-carb before eating.
Variations and Storing Lasagna:
This Zucchini Lasagna is so adaptable and stores nicely for leftovers, if you have them.
- Vegetables: Swap out the zucchini for eggplant or thinly sliced sweet potatoes. Add a layer of chopped vegetables, like cooked spinach, or saute peppers, mushrooms, or asparagus.
- Protein: You can use ground chuck, ground turkey or Italian chicken sausage instead of regular sausage.
- Sauce: Make a whole new flavor by using Alfredo sauce instead of a tomato based sauce.
- Store: Lasagna can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days, cooked lasagna for up to 2 months.
More Zucchini Dinner Ideas:
- Zucchini Pizza
- Shrimp Zucchini Boats
- Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Buttery Garlic Herb Chicken with Zucchini
- Thai Zucchini Noodles Salad
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 28 Ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 6.5 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoons Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 cup sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil chopped
- 16 ounce ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan finely grated
- 1 egg
- 4 medium sized zucchini thinly sliced
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- In a large skillet over medium high heat add the olive oil and onion. Sauté until tender and add the ground beef and sausage. Cook and crumble until brown and cooked throughout. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, sugar, and basil. Let simmer on low heat.
- In medium sized bowl add the ricotta cheese, parmesan, and egg. Mix until incorporated.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a 9x13 inch pan with non stick spray and set aside.
- To make the lasagna start by spreading 1 cup of the meat sauce on the bottom. Arrange the zucchini slices in a single layer over the meat sauce. Spread ½ cup of the ricotta cheese, on top of the zucchini followed by shredded mozzarella cheese. Repeat the layers and top with cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake and additional 20-25 minutes or until it is heated throughout and cheese is bubbly. Let it cool for 10 minutes before serving.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.