Life as a food blogger can be very interesting at times. I take my photos using natural lighting. And here in North Carolina it has been cloudy and rainy most of the summer. It can really put a damper on a food bloggers day when the sun isn’t out. The sun was out this morning, so I jumped out of bed ready to make something delicious.
I have an over abundance of zucchini. I saw an idea for zucchini gratin and I immediately knew that is what I wanted to make. I wanted mine to be extra cheesy, creamy and delicious. As soon as it came out of the oven I knew it was going to be amazing. I had to bribe my ten year old with $1 to hold the spoon in the picture. He even would say, “mom hurry, my wrist is hurting.” But I wanted to show all of the yummy textures and the cheesy cream sauce.
Do you have zucchini? Then you have got to make this. Since zucchini is my favorite summer veggie I knew it would become an instant fave. The three cheese blend and the cream sauce gave it such amazing flavor. Oh my gosh I couldn’t believe how good this turned out. It turned out even better than what I had imagined. If you are looking for a delicious side for dinner, and have zucchini taking over your garden, then this is the side for you!
- 6 medium sized Zucchini
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup parmesan, grated
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray with cooking spray a 2 quart casserole dish.
- In a medium saucepan melt 2 Tablespoons butter. Whisk in the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes until it has thickened up. Slowly whisk in milk and heavy cream. Add in cheese and continue to mix until cheese has melted. Stir in garlic powder and salt and set aside.
- Cut zucchini in ¼ inch slices. Layer on the bottom of the casserole dish. Add about 3 Tablespoons of cheese sauce on the top and continue to layer the zucchini and cheese sauce.
- For the topping, mix together the bread crumbs and parmesan. Sprinkle over the top of the zucchini layer. Pour the 1 Tablespoon of melted butter on the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and heated through. Broil the top for about 5 minutes until it is golden brown.