This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
These air fryer fish sticks are going to rock your family’s world. Never again will you make fish sticks from a box, these are insanely delicious!
Cooking fish in an air fryer is one of the best ways to create the crispiest outsides and tender delicate insides. Try these tried and true air fryer fish recipes soon, Perfect Air Fryer Shrimp, Salmon, and Cod!
Fish Sticks in Air Fryer
When you think of fish sticks does your mind go back to those boxed frozen fish sticks that were tasteless and rubbery? These homemade fish sticks are nothing like the nostalgic fish of your growing up years. Made from scratch these fish sticks are perfectly seasoned, and cooked to absolute perfection in the air fryer. They will come out tender, flakey and crispy, just like a fish stick should! And the flavor is impeccable.
Similar to my Fish and Chips recipe, this will have all the flavor but without the added fat from frying. If you have not gotten on the air fryer band wagon yet, the time is now. It creates that unique crispy outside and scrumptious insides without the oil and usually a lot faster. These homemade fish sticks are better than anything you could ever buy from the store. You can control the seasonings and size, making this a go to family dinner you will love.
Ingredients for Breaded Fish Sticks in Air Fryer
Super easy and absolutely delicious, you are going to love this! Air fryer fish sticks are easy to make and have an incredible taste. Your family is going to enjoy these fish sticks time after time.
- Cod: Fresh or frozen cod that has been thawed will both work, slice the cod into strips.
- Salt and pepper: Add to taste.
- Flour: All-purpose flour is all you need to help coat the fish.
- Eggs: Mix the eggs up thoroughly to coat the fish the best.
- Salt: Adds flavor to the batter.
- Panko: A lot lighter and crispier than bread crumbs, you will love the crunch they create.
- Grated parmesan: You want the tiny grated parmesan like you can buy off the shelf in the store. Shredded parmesan won’t stick as well.
- Old bay seasoning: Classic fish flavoring that is sold almost everywhere. Look for it with the spices.
- Garlic powder: Adds incredible flavor, perfect with the cod and old bay seasoning.
- Olive oil spray if needed: Use an oil spray, not an aresol, they can ruin the inside of your air fryer.
How to Make Fish Sticks in an Air Fryer
Adjust the seasonings to your liking! Create your own fish stick using seasonings and egg wash to make the best air fryer sticks yet!
- Season the fish: Salt and pepper the cod strips.
- Breading: Create a breading station for the fish. In one bowl add the flour. Take a second bowl and whisk together the eggs and salt. In the last bowl add the Panko, parmesan cheese, old bay seasoning, and garlic powder.
- Dip: First, dip the cod in the flour, then the egg, and lastly the Panko mix.
- Air Fry: Spray the bottom of your basket with olive oil. Place the fish in the basket of your air fryer. Cook at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Continue to cook for 3-5 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees.
The Best Air Fryer Fish Stick Tips
Making fish sticks from scratch means you can control the seasoning to make it just like you want. Mix and match these tips and variations of air fryer fish sticks for the perfect dinner.
- Fish: In this recipe, I used cod which a firm mild-flavored fish, perfect for adding seasonings and flavorings. Other fish that will work here are other white fish, such as tilapia, pollock, and haddock.
- Fresh or Frozen: You can use either fresh or frozen fish for this homemade fish stick recipe. If you use frozen thaw it overnight in the fridge before using.
- Pat dry: To help the breading stick, pat your fish sticks dry before beginning.
- Spray: I like to lightly spray with a non-propellant oil spray, the inside of the basket, and the fish sticks to help give it that extra bit of crunch.
- Panko: Using panko over bread crumbs will create that light and crispy crunch that pairs beautifully with the delicate fish.
- Air Frying: Every air fryer cooks a bit differently, it’s important to know how yours cooks. Fish is done when the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees. You can pull the fish once it hits 140 as the internal temperature will continue to rise as it rests. Do not overcook your fish sticks or they will become rubbery.
- Cut and space: Cut the fish into equal pieces for even cooking. Leave space between the fish sticks so the air can circulate and cook them at the same rate.
How to Store Homemade Fish Sticks
Place cooked fish on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and place in a 175-200 degree oven while the other fish sticks cook.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Air Fryer Fish Sticks
- Salt and pepper the cod strips.
- Create a breading station for the fish. In one bowl add the flour. In the second bowl whisk together the eggs and salt. In the last bowl add the Panko, parmesan cheese, old bay seasoning, and garlic powder.
- First dip the cod in the flour, then the egg, and lastly the Panko mix.
- Spray the bottom of your basket with olive oil. Place the fish in the basket of your air fryer. Cook at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Continue to cook for 3-5 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.