These breakfast potatoes make the best hearty and delicious breakfast! Filled with peppers, onions, and potatoes that are all coated with delicious homemade seasoning, this savory dish will become a family favorite!
I am a huge breakfast fan! Sweet, savory, you name it and I want it for breakfast! Try out some of my favorite go-to breakfast meals like this breakfast casserole, these German pancakes, or these quick 45-minute cinnamon rolls!
Savory Breakfast Potatoes
If you have been on the hunt for a delicious and savory breakfast option, then you are in luck! These breakfast potatoes are one of my very favorite recipes because they are quick and delicious. For breakfast, it’s important to have something that fills me up. I do my best to eliminate my mid-morning snack (that doesn’t always happen but that’s ok!) and making a hearty breakfast like this one really helps with that!
These breakfast potatoes can be eaten on their own or with something like pancakes or eggs! In fact, add in some protein like bacon or sausage to the mix and you have yourself an entire meal in one! You can make these without the added veggies and just season up the potatoes if you prefer. But I really like to pack in the punch with the extra flavor from the onions and peppers!
Ingredients for Breakfast Potatoes
Gather up your veggies because you will need them for this yummy recipe! Luckily, the most time-consuming part is just cutting everything up. After that, this breakfast is quick to make! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Russet Potatoes: You don’t need to peel the potatoes first. Just cut them up into quarters.
- Yellow Onion: Chop these ip into smaller pieces.
- Red and Green Bell Peppers: I used red and green but you can use any color of peppers that you want!
- Olive Oil: Vegetable oil works too.
- Salt and Pepper: These will enhance all of the flavors in the recipe!
- Garlic: You know that I can’t resist adding garlic to any dish that I can!
- Paprika: This adds a deep flavor to the potatoes.
- Italian Seasoning: You can buy this at the store or make it from scratch using this recipe.
Let’s Cook Some Breakfast Potatoes!
I don’t have a ton of time in the mornings to spend making extravagant meals. I love these breakfast potatoes because they taste like a million bucks and are ready to eat in 20 minutes!
- Preheat: Preheat a skillet to medium-high heat.
- Combine: In a large bowl add your potatoes, onion, bell peppers, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, and Italian seasoning.
- Toss: Toss them to coat in the seasonings.
- Cook: Add them to your heated skillet and let them cook for 15-20 minutes, or until for tender and crispy.
Switch these breakfast potatoes up and then you can have them all the time! I’ve come up with a few variations for you to try!
- Protein: Cook some bacon, scrambled eggs, or sausage and add it in with the potatoes! It delicious and a whole meal in one!
- Heat: If you want o crank up the heat a little bit then ad in a pinch or two of some red pepper flakes.
- Garnish: Top the recipe with a little bit of cilantro (or mix it in!) and add in a fresh element to the potatoes!
- Wrap: Put the mixture in a tortilla and make it a homemade breakfast burrito!
Make Ahead of Time
You can double this batch and keep some for later so that you have breakfast all week long! Once it has cooled then store it in an airtight container in your fridge. It will last for 3-4 days. When you are ready to eat your leftovers, heat them on medium heat on the skillet until they are warmed through!
Skillet Breakfast Potatoes
- 4 russet potatoes quartered
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat a skillet to medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl add your potatoes, onion, bell peppers, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, and Italian seasoning.
- Toss them to coat in the seasonings.
- Add them to your heated skillet and let them cook for 15-20 minutes, or until tender and crispy.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.