This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
This delicious Cajun Rice and Sausage Skillet has become an instant favorite in our house! It’s easy to make in one pan with flavorful andouille sausage, veggies and rice with an incredible cajun seasoning blend. A complete meal on the table in just 30 minutes!
I cannot get enough of one-pan recipes because they are so easy and fast to make, yet taste wonderful! We also love the variety they bring to the table! Try some of our other favorites next, like this cajun shrimp and sausage vegetable skillet, ground beef stroganoff, or creamy spinach artichoke chicken!
Cajun rice and sausage skillet is so incredibly easy that it makes a perfect weeknight meal! It’s also so tasty, bursting with amazing Cajun flavor and a mix of sausage, colorful vegetables and seasoned rice.
Skillet dinners are my favorite because you cook everything in the same pan, and it makes clean-up a breeze. Start the sausage in the skillet, then add in and sauté the veggies. Next, add the tomatoes, rice and broth, and simmer everything for about 20 minutes. It’s ready to enjoy with very little effort, is a complete meal, and your family will love it!
This sausage skillet recipe is made with simple ingredients and a homemade cajun seasoning blend that takes this meal to the next level. See the recipe card below for exact measurements.
- Andouille Sausage: A smoked sausage commonly used in Cajun cuisine.
- Oil: For sautéing the sausage and veggies.
- Vegetables: A combination of red bell pepper, green bell pepper and yellow onion adds lots of flavor and texture.
- Garlic: Adding garlic to any dish adds such a delicious taste! If you don’t have fresh garlic cloves on hand, you can use minced garlic from your fridge, 1/2 tsp equals about 1 clove of garlic.
- Cajun Seasoning: Use this homemade Cajun Seasoning for the best flavor.
- Diced Tomatoes: Use Rotel or any other brand of diced tomatoes with green chilies.
- Rice: We like long grain white rice best in this recipe.
- Chicken Broth: Adds enough liquid to cook the rice.
- Sliced Green Onions: Optional for garnish.
How to Make a Cajun Rice and Sausage Skillet
This is such a super simple dinner recipe that delivers insanely delicious results! Trust me, you don’t want to miss out on this one. Plus, it’s simple to make and even easier to clean up. Here’s how everything comes together:
- Cook the Sausage: Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet over medium high heat. Add the sausage in and sauté for 3-5 minutes, mostly browning the sausage.
- Sauté the Vegetables: To the skillet add in the bell peppers and onion, continue to sauté everything for another 5 minutes, the vegetables should brown and become tender.
- Garlic & Seasonings: Add the garlic and cajun seasoning and sauté for another 1-2 minutes, just until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add Rice and Simmer: Add in the fire diced tomatoes with green chilies, rice, and chicken broth and bring everything to a boil. Once the liquid is boiling, cover the skillet and reduce the heat to low, keeping the liquid at a low simmer.
- Cook: Continue to simmer the liquid, covered for about 20 minutes, the rice should have absorbed all the liquid.
- Fluff the Rice: Remove the skillet from heat, keep it covered and let it rest for another 5 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff the rice to redistribute all the vegetables and sausage throughout.
- Serve: Serve fresh with sliced green onions and enjoy!
We love this recipe as-is, but it’s also very easy to customize. Here are a few ideas to switch up this 30-minute skillet recipe. Feel free to use your favorite ingredients and what you have on hand.
- Sausage: This recipe calls for andouille sausage but you can use a kielbasa or other link sausage of your choice!
- Spicy: If you are wanting to spice things up with this recipe, I recommend adding a seeded and diced jalapeño to the skillet with the bell peppers and onions. You can also mix in some red pepper flakes.
- Italian Flavor: For a different flavor, try Italian seasoned sausage and Italian seasoning instead of Cajun seasoning.
This Cajun Rice and Sausage Skillet is best served fresh for wonderful texture. However, leftovers can be stored and enjoyed for a few days after cooking. This dish makes a great lunch for the next day! Here are my tips below for storing and reheating leftovers.
- In the Refrigerator: Stored properly in an airtight container, leftovers will last in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Reheating: I recommend reheating in the microwave until warmed through.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Cajun Rice and Sausage Skillet
- 14 ounce andouille sausage, cut into ¼ inch rounds
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Cajun Seasoning
- 10 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- Sliced green onions for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet over medium high heat. Add the sausage in and saute for 3-5 minutes, mostly browning the sausage.
- To the skillet add in the bell peppers and onion, continue to saute everything for another 5 minutes, the vegetables should brown and become tender.
- Add the garlic and cajun seasoning and saute for another 1-2 minutes, just until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add in the fire diced tomatoes with green chilies, rice, and chicken broth and bring everything to a boil. Once the liquid is boiling, cover the skillet and reduce the heat to low, keeping the liquid at a low simmer.
- Continue to simmer the liquid, covered for about 20 minutes, the rice should have absorbed all the liquid.
- Remove the skillet from heat, keep it covered and let it rest for another 5 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff the rice to redistribute all the vegetables and sausage throughout.
- Serve fresh with sliced green onions and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.