This sausage tortellini skillet is perfect for a creamy and savory dinner that is simple and tastes amazing with all the flavors blended together. It is a family favorite!
Tortellini is so simple to make and one of my favorite ingredients! Because tortellini is so simple to make try these savory dishes that include tortellini in them: Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup, Alfredo Pesto Tortellini with Sausage or Creamy Tuscan Garlic Tortellini Soup.
Sausage Tortellini Skillet
Need a quick and easy weeknight dinner?! This is the skillet dinner for you. It is rich in flavor and loaded with flavoring! This sausage tortellini skillet has all the flavors and deliciousness you are looking for. The sausage is cooked and added to a cheesy blend of Italian seasonings and a rich creamy sauce. Sausage skillet is so simple to make it comes together in less than 30 minutes. My family devoured this sausage skillet last week when I made it for them. There was no leftovers and everyone was raving about it.
Tortellini makes this skillet so much better! Get a cheese on cheese experience with the cheesy parmesan grated in the sauce as well as the cheese tortellini. This blend is irresistible. Serve this warm and enjoy the savory blends all together. This sausage tortellini is a MUST make and super simple for a busy weekday. The best thing about this sausage tortellini is you only need one skillet for the whole meal. Simply cook the sausage, then wipe down the same skillet and use it for the remainder of ingredients to blend together.
Sausage Tortellini Ingredients:
- Ground Sausage: This will be cooked before adding it to the skillet.
- Heavy Cream: Thick, rich and creamy sauce is made with the heavy cream.
- Italian Seasoning: Has all the right seasonings mixed into one blend.
- Garlic Powder: Brings in a garlic flavoring and adds to the seasoning.
- Salt and Pepper: Just a pinch for flavoring.
- Parmesan Cheese: Grated parmesan cheese is best. It melts evenly and adds that subtle cheesy flavoring.
- Chicken Broth: Creates a smooth and creamy flavoring to the sauce.
- Cornstarch: Makes the sauce thicker and creamier when added in.
- Cheese Tortellini: Tortellini can be found in the refrigerator isle. It is prepackaged and there are a few different variations of tortellini.
- Spinach: Add the spinach towards the end and mix together for a colorful skillet.
How to Make Sausage Tortellini in a Skillet:
- Cook the sausage: In a large saucepan over medium high heat, cook and crumble the sausage. Remove the sausage and set aside on a plate. Wipe down grease with a paper towel.
- Combine all ingredients: Add in the heavy cream, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese. In a small bowl, whisk together chicken broth and cornstarch. Whisk into the sauce and add in the tortellini and spinach. Let simmer for about 5 minutes until the tortellini is cooked, spinach has wilted and the sauce it thickened.
Variations of Sausage Tortellini:
- Sausage: I prefer using a flavorless sausage since it is blended with the cheesy sauce and spinach. Try adding a flavored sausage or even use ground up turkey meat or ground up beef.
- Tortellini substitute: If you are wanting to lower the calories and even carbs, substitute the tortellini for a head of cut up cauliflower or even broccoli. There are even more tortellini choices to choose from too at your local grocery store.
- Heavy Cream: Replace the heavy cream with half and half for a less fat skillet.
- Seasonings: Change the seasonings to spicy with red pepper flakes or paprika, add in more garlic with garlic salt or try cajun seasoning for more of a dry flavoring.
- Cheese: Try provolone or pecorino Romano cheese for a good blend of cheese. Plus these cheeses melt evenly in the sauce.
- Vegetables: I added in spinach but you can add in sun-dried tomatoes or bell peppers for more color and taste.
Try More Skillet Recipes for your Family:
- Skillet Pork Cacciatore
- Creamy Skillet Chicken Cacciatore
- Italian Orzo and Sausage Skillet
- Skillet Creamy Chicken Mushroom Florentine
- Tuscan Garlic Skillet Chicken
Creamy Sausage Tortellini Skillet
- 1/2 pound ground sausage
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 9 ounce cheese tortellini
- 2 cups spinach
- In a large saucepan over medium high heat, cook and crumble the sausage. Remove the sausage and set aside on a plate. Wipe down grease with a paper towel.
- Add in the heavy cream, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese. In a small bowl, whisk together chicken broth and cornstarch. Whisk into the sauce and add in the tortellini and spinach. Let simmer for about 5 minutes until the tortellini is cooked, spinach has wilted and the sauce it thickened.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Just made this with shrimp instead of sausage, although I’m sure it would be great with either. Some mentioned that the Italian seasoning was a little much so I started with 1/2 Tbsp and found that was enough for my tastes. So good!
I just made this tonight for my family. I loved the simplicity and how quickly it came together but the Italian seasoning was so overpowering. The chicken broth was also pretty prominent. It wasn’t too excited with the flavor and I don’t think I’ll make it again.
When do you add the Italian seasoning??
You add it in at the same time as all of the other ingredients!
I made this last night with hot Italian sausage and not only was it super easy it was absolutely delicious! My boyfriend took the leftovers for lunch today and just texted me – ‘Honestly this was really delicious – one of the better things you’ve made – keep it in rotation.’
This was so simple and so delicious. I have two hungry boys and a husband so there was not much left for seconds. This may feed a very small family of six. I wish I had doubled the recipe. I also used fully cooked chicken sausage links instead. I sliced them and browned them with onions before removing for the rest of the recipe.Serve with a salad to break up the richness.
Absolutely delicious recipe! Made it tonight and it was superb. (used sausage tortellini from Costco)
I made this last night, was delish but tonights left overs was mouthwatering. I used mild Italian sausage in mine and of course i like it meaty so i used a pound instead of half.
Made it tonight and it was very good. I added some kielbasa and broccoli to it. On top of some chopped garlic, chopped onions, and onion powder. would definitely be making again.
Made this tonight and it was DELICIOUS! I doubled the recipe & used hot Italian sausage & 3 cheese tortellini & added fresh garlic + sun dried tomatoes. I kept the oil from the tomatoes in the sauce and let me tell you, it made allll the difference! I served it w/ freshly grated Parmesan cheese & red pepper flakes on top. Me & my boyfriend both loved it & it made a ton of leftovers (even w/ him having 2 huge plates!) Super easy & quick dinner that I will definitely be making again!!
Loved it ! Sooooo good , & def very easy & quick!!! I just boiled the tortellini while i made the sausage & this prob WOULD def be good w shrimp !!! So yummy your recipes are my FAVORITE!
Loved it ! Sooooo good , & def very easy & quick!!! I just boiled the tortellini while i made the sausage & this prob WOULD def be good w shrimp !!! So yummy your recipes are my FAVORITE! 😋😋😋🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻
I made this meal last night. It really is superb! The sauce is yummy and not so heavy. To save calories, I used one cup heavy cream and 1 cup 1% milk. I used sweet sausage but agree that plain sausage would have been best. But this would be amazing with shrimp and sundries tomatoes.
I was annoyed that in the ingredients it states 1 TBS Italian seasoning but doesn’t state when to put it in as well when to add the sausage that was placed on a plate after cooking it. I also cooked my tortellini first, bc I wasn’t sure if frozen would have cooked all the way through. For these reasons, I gave it 4 stars and not 5.
I will be making this again probably next week! Thanks for sharing Alyssa!
I noticed same thing. I just tossed in at the end. And I used ground turkey.
I will agree that it was not written the best, but it was delicious! I used 1 pound of ground hot Italian sausage.
Added the Italian seasoning when adding the salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
The frozen tortellinis cooked perfectly when added near the end. No need to cook them beforehand.