This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Meet your new favorite snack! Furikake Chex Mix is a mouthwatering combination of crispy Chex cereal, pretzels, bugles, wasabi peas, and peanuts, all coated in a buttery sauce and sprinkled with irresistible Japanese furikake seasoning. It’s savory, crunchy, and bursting with delicious Asian flavors.
Furikake Chex Mix Recipe
Furikake Chex Mix isn’t your average snack mix. We’re talking about a seriously addictive combination of crunchy Chex cereal, pretzels, bugles, wasabi peas, and peanuts, all coated in a mouthwatering sauce and sprinkled with the amazing Nori Fume Furikake seasoning. It’s savory, umami, crunchy, and buttery all at once. Say hello to your new snacking obsession!
If you’re not familiar with furikake seasoning, (also known as nori komi furikake) it’s this super tasty Japanese seasoning blend that adds a whole new level of yum to any dish. Think dried seaweed, sesame seeds, bonito flakes, and spices all coming together to create a magical flavor combo. Sprinkle it on rice, popcorn, veggies, and now even on Chex Mix, and prepare to leave your taste buds amazed.
This Furikake Chex Mix recipe combines a mouthwatering blend of ingredients to deliver a delightful mix of flavors and textures. The great thing is, you can mix and match cereals, chips, crackers etc., to create your own perfect snack! The variety of textures is what what makes it so great.
- Rice Chex and Corn or Wheat Chex: These crunchy cereals form the base of the mix, giving it a satisfying bite. You can mix and match them for different flavors and textures.
- Mini Pretzels: Because you can’t go wrong with little bits of salty goodness!
- Bugles: These cone-shaped snacks add a playful crunch to every bite.
- Wasabi Peas: Get ready for a spicy kick! These peas bring the heat and add an exciting burst of flavor.
- Roasted Peanuts: For some nutty flavor!
- Unsalted Butter: Acts as the foundation for the mouthwatering sauce, adding richness to the furikake Chex Mix.
- Corn Syrup or Honey: Adds a touch of sweetness to the sauce. You could also use maple syrup as a substitute.
- Soy Sauce: A must-add for Asian-inspired snacks! You can also use tamari sauce if you wish.
- Onion Powder: Adds a pop of savory flavor.
- Ground Ginger: Adding a hint of warmth and spiciness, ground ginger amplifies the overall taste experience. Feel free to experiment with fresh grated ginger for a bolder flavor.
- Nori Fume Furikake (Furikake Seasoning): This amazing Japanese seasoning blend, featuring dried seaweed, sesame seeds, and spices, takes the mix to a whole new level with its savory and slightly briny taste.
How to Make Furikake Chex Mix
With how simple this furikake Chex Mix is to make, you’ll want it all the time. (Speaking from experience!) Gather your treats, whisk up the simple sauce, toss everything together and then pop it in the oven to reach caramelized, crunchy perfection.
- Preheat Oven, Prepare Pan: Preheat the oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit and then spray one or two large baking dishes with pan spray.
- Add Snacks to a Bowl: Add the chex, pretzels, bugles, wasabi peas, and peanuts to a large bowl and then mix together.
- Sauce Mixture: In a small saucepan add the butter, corn syrup, soy sauce, onion powder, and ginger. Heat over medium-high until the butter is melted and the mixture boils. Boil for 1 minute before removing from the heat.
- Toss: Pour the cereal mixture into the prepared pans and then pour the glaze over the top. Sprinkle the furikake seasoning over it and toss it all together until everything is well coated.
- Bake: Bake for 1 hour, stirring everything around every 15 minutes or so. Let cool completely before transferring to a large bowl to serve or storing in an airtight container.
Tips and Variations
Here are some extra tips to take your furikake Chex Mix to the next level. It’s so easy to customize and make your own!
- Where to Find Nori Fume Furikake: You can make your own furikake seasoning, look for it at your local Asian market, or buy it on Amazon.
- Add Other Cereal: The cereals are customizable! A lot of people love to add Life or Honeycomb cereal in. As long as the same ratio is maintained of cereal to other ingredients, swap it out for what you would like!
- More Mix-Ins: Try adding Cheetos, plain bugles, cheesy bugles, Fritos, anything flaming hot, or even goldfish crackers!
Store leftovers in an airtight container or Ziploc bag for up to 5 days, if it lasts that long! This is a snack you’ll be reaching for whenever you get the munchies.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Furikake Chex Mix
- 4 cups rice chex
- 4 cups wheat or corn chex
- 3 cups mini pretzels
- 3 cups bugles
- 1 cup wasabi peas
- 1 cup roasted peanuts
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup corn syrup or honey
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ cup Nori Fume Furikake
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees fahrenheit and spray one or two large baking dishes with pan spray.
- Add the chex, pretzels, bugles, wasabi peas, and peanuts to a large bowl and mix together.
- In a small saucepan add the butter, corn syrup, soy sauce, onion powder, and ginger. Heat over medium-high until the butter is melted and the mixture boils. Boil for 1 minute before removing from the heat.
- Pour the chex mix into the prepared pans and pour the sauce over the top. Sprinkle the furikake seasoning over it and toss it all together until everything is well coated.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring everything around every 15 minutes. Let cool completely before transferring to a large bowl to serve or storing in an airtight container.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.