Instant Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken is simple and easy to make in the pressure cooker and perfect for busy weeknights. The chicken cooks up tender and juicy in a buttery lemon garlic sauce.
This chicken is enhanced with a hint of lemon, flavorful herbs and cooked to perfection in your instant pot. Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli, Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken Tacos or Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo Pasta are some of our family favorites too!
Instant Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken
This is an easy Instant Pot dinner recipe.
With two little ones that keep me busy all day, I don’t always have time to prep ahead when it comes to dinner.
That’s why I am such a big fan of the Instant Pot and use it regularly at our house.
If you love using your instant pot try this Instant Pot Ribs or Instant Pot Pasta with Meatballs.
Instant pot is just what you need for those busy weeknights!
This Lemon Garlic Chicken is tender, juicy and full of flavor.
And the best part is that dinner can be on the table in just 30 minutes with the help of a trusty pressure cooker.
It is the one stop meal that is perfect for busy nights and a growing family that loves a flavorful meal!
What you need to make Lemon Garlic Chicken:
- Chicken: boneless chicken thighs skinless or with skin.
- Garlic powder: great for taste and flavor.
- Olive oil: helps cook the chicken without sticking to the instant pot.
- Butter: adds flavor as well as helps cook the chicken and gives it a golden color on the outside.
- Onion: a sweet flavoring for the chicken.
- Garlic cloves: sliced or minced.
- Italian seasoning: full of flavor on the chicken.
- Lemon: sweetness from the zest of it.
- Chicken broth: adds flavoring and juiciness to the chicken.
- Parsley: optional
How do you make Lemon Garlic Chicken?
Start off by seasoning the chicken thighs with some salt, black pepper and garlic powder.
Next, you’re going to brown the chicken in the Instant Pot (I use an Instant Pot DUO 6 Quart) using the sauté function.
Searing the chicken helps to seal in those amazing flavors and gives the chicken that crispy coating.
Once the chicken is golden brown, transfer to a plate then add butter, onions, garlic, Italian seasoning, lemon zest, lemon juice and chicken broth.
Place the chicken back in the Instant Pot, seal the lid and pressure cook for 5 minutes.
- Prepare chicken: Season chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Prepare Instant Pot: Press the Sauté function (Normal setting the Instant Pot (I used a 6 Quart DUO) and add the olive oil to the pot.
- Brown chicken: Place chicken in the Instant Pot and allow to sear on each side for 2 minutes, or until golden brown. This helps to seal in the juices and keep it tender. (You may have to work in batches depending on the size and amount of chicken you are using). Once browned, remove from Instant Pot and set aside.
- Add seasonings: Melt butter in Instant Pot and stir in the onions and garlic. Add lemon juice to deglaze pan. Cook for 1 minute then add Italian seasoning, lemon zest, and chicken broth.
- Cook the chicken: Place the chicken back into the Instant Pot, lock the lid, and turn the valve to SEAL.
- Adjust the Instant Pot: Select the Manual (older modeler Pressure Cook (newer model button and adjust the timer to 7 minutes. It will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure and start counting down.
- Natural release: When done, allow to naturally release for 2-3 minutes then using a long spoon push the valve to RELEASE, then remove your Instant Pot lid.
- Serve: Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve hot with your favorite sides. Spoon sauce over chicken and garnish with lemon slices, if desired.
Tips for making Instant Pot Lemon Chicken:
- Thicken you sauce: If you want to thicken the sauce – make a cornstarch slurry using 1 teaspoon of cornstarch whisked with 2 teaspoons cold water and stir in the Instant Pot. Press SAUTE and allow to bubble and thicken up.
- Frozen chicken: Using frozen chicken will work. It is best to thaw your chicken ahead of time but if that is not an option simply cook the frozen chicken in the Instant Pot.
- Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken Recipe: Follow all the same instructions for preparing the chicken. When it is time to add the chicken and other ingredients to the instant pot, add it to the slow cooker. Cook on low for about 3 to 4 hours until your chicken is cooked through. Get ready to have all the smells in your home!
What sides can I serve with this Garlic Chicken?
This chicken would go well with so many sides.
I chose to serve it with some roasted asparagus since it’s one of my favorite spring vegetables but broccoli, zucchini or cauliflower would be delicious as well.
This Instant Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken is a quick and easy dish bursting with bright and fresh flavors.
It’s perfect for spring and and any busy weeknight!
Storing Instant Pot Chicken:
- How to store Instant Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken: Once your lemon garlic chicken is cooled down from being cooked, place in an airtight container or ziplock bag. This will store in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days longs. This makes for a great prep meal too! Just add a vegetable and/or rice to a container and enjoy each day.
- Can you freeze Instant Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken? Yes, this is a great dinner to freeze. Once it is cooked, let cool then place in a ziplock bag. Release the air and lay flat in the freezer. This will stay in the freezer for one month. When ready to warm up, simply thaw in the refrigerator over night.
- Warming up Instant Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken: When ready to warm up, simply heat the oven to 350* Fahrenheit and warm up in a oven safe pan for about 15 to 20 minutes. You can also use a microwave to warm up slowly and flipping your chicken each time.
Looking for More Lemon Chicken Recipes? Here you go!
- Easy Greek Lemon Chicken
- Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken Piccata
- Creamy Lemon Chicken Picatta
- Lemon Garlic Butter Herb Chicken with Asparagus
- Creamy Lemon Parmesan Chicken
Instant Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken
- 6-8 boneless chicken thighs skinless or with skin* *sea salt and pepper, to taste divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoon butter divided
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced or minced
- 1 ½ tablespoons Italian seasoning
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- 1/3 cup homemade or low sodium chicken broth
- **SEE NOTE Chopped fresh parsley and lemon slices for garnish, if desired
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Press the Sauté function (Normal settinon the Instant Pot (I used a 6 Quart DUO) and add the olive oil to the pot.
- Place chicken in the Instant Pot and allow to sear on each side for 2 minutes, or until golden brown. This helps to seal in the juices and keep it tender. (You may have to work in batches depending on the size and amount of chicken you are using). Once browned, remove from Instant Pot and set aside.
- Melt butter in Instant Pot and stir in the onions and garlic. Add lemon juice to deglaze pan. Cook for 1 minute then add Italian seasoning, lemon zest, and chicken broth.
- Place the chicken back into the Instant Pot, lock the lid, and turn the valve to SEAL.
- Select the Manual (older modelor Pressure Cook (newer modelbutton and adjust the timer to 7 minutes.
- It will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure and start counting down.
- When done, allow to naturally release for 2-3 minutes then using a long spoon push the valve to RELEASE, then remove your Instant Pot lid.
- (**If you want to thicken the sauce - make a cornstarch slurry using 1 teaspoon of cornstarch whisked with 2 teaspoons cold water and stir in the Instant Pot. Press SAUTE and allow to bubble and thicken up. )
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve hot with your favorite sides. Spoon sauce over chicken and garnish with lemon slices, if desired.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
This was delicious! I made it tonight and the only adjust was I added a dash or two of crushed red pepper flakes. I served over some riced cauliflower and had a side of steamed broccoli. I’ll make this again!
I jazzed it up for a dinner party creating a mirepoix without the purée as a base, adding 100ml of stock to help create juices & smoked paprika. Used chicken legs that I marinated too. Was amazing!
Sounds go yummy! I’m out of chicken thighs this week, but do you know the time adjustment for boneless skinless chicken breasts?
I would shave off just a few minutes for the chicken breasts. Unless they are comparable in size to thighs, then I would just leave it!
Thank you so much for responding! 🙂 Will do!
Made this for the first time ever family thought it was a hit !!
Would it be possible to bake this recipe?
I haven’t tried it baked, but you can try this recipe that is cooked on a skillet instead! Creamy Lemon Garlic Chicken
Can I make this with bone-in chicken thighs?>
I haven’t tried that with this particular recipe. But I do have this one that is similar that uses bone-in chicken thighs! Easy Greek Lemon Chicken
Love this!!!! I have made this several times, always a hit. However, I make 6 times the amount of sauce! It’s great over pasta or rice.
This is the best instant pot chicken I have ever made, and I have made several! Definitely a keeper.
I’m so glad to hear it! Thanks for trying it out!