This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Dinnertime-ready, this jalapeno popper chicken is creamy and delicious with the perfect amount of heat! It has all of the flavors of your favorite appetizers but in one easy-to-make meal!
Best-Ever Jalapeno Popper Chicken Bake Recipe
Jalapeno poppers are easily in the top 3 of my favorite appetizers. I love them so much I’ve even taken the flavors and added them to dips and mac and cheese! You most definitely cannot go wrong with cream cheese, shredded colby jack, and a pop of heat from the jalapenos; all melted together to create one dreamy combination! To be honest, this chicken bake has been life-changing. It has the cheesy goodness of an appetizer but in a more satisfying dinner form. Your family is going to go crazy over it!
As if you needed more reasons to make this jalapeno popper chicken, it’s keto-friendly! It’s a great way to get your appetizer fix without breaking your diet. It’s the perfect combination of protein and fats to work right into your macros! Eating right doesn’t have to mean sacrificing your favorite flavors! Find my full list of keto recipes here. Let’s get cooking!
How Spicy Will This Be?
This chicken bake has a spice level that the whole family can enjoy! Jalapenos become sweeter as they are cooked, and the cream cheese and Colby jack really help to offset the spices.
- If You Want More Spice: Leave in the jalapeno seeds! This is where the pepper gets most of its heat.
- If You Want Less Spice: Remove seeds, cut jalapenos into smaller pieces, use less of them.
Ingredients for Jalapeno Popper Chicken
This chicken bake uses a lot of simple ingredients, making it a delicious and inexpensive choice for dinner! Whenever I make this for dinner, my family can’t get enough. It’s not too spicy, either, making it something even my picky eaters can enjoy! Measurements for each ingredient can be found in the recipe card below.
- Chicken Breasts: I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts here! Look for chicken breasts that are relatively the same size and thickness so they cook at the same rate.
- Salt and Pepper: Add both to taste! They help enhance the overall flavor of the jalapeno popper chicken.
- Cream Cheese: Cream cheese gives this recipe that perfect creamy, tangy flavor and texture.
- Sour Cream: Adds creaminess and a tart flavor.
- Onion Powder: For a hint of sharp flavor.
- Garlic Powder: Garlic is a must! Add for the perfect savory finishing touch.
- Whole Jalapeños: Look for shiny, bright green jalapenos without blemishes.
- Colby Jack Cheese: Marbled cheese both looks delicious and tastes delicious! Colby jack has a mild, creamy flavor that pairs perfectly with jalapeno.
- Bacon: Crumbled bacon pieces are the cherry on top for this jalapeno popper chicken! They add a fun texture and yummy meaty flavor in each bite.
This jalapeno popper chicken is perfect for busy weeknights. So delicious but only takes 15 minutes of prep time! Be prepared for it to fly off the table!
- Preheat Oven, Prep Pan: Let’s start! First, preheat your oven to 375° F. Next, lightly spray a 13×9 inch casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Prepare Chicken Breasts: Next, prepare the chicken breasts by removing any fat from the chicken. If the chicken breasts are thick, feel free to cut them in half if you need them to cook faster. Place the chicken breasts in the prepared dish. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Cream Cheese Mixture: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add the softened cream cheese, sour cream, onion powder, garlic powder. Mix using a handheld electric mixer until ingredients are combined. Spread mixture over the chicken breasts.
- Add Toppings: Next, sprinkle on the diced jalapeños, shredded cheese, and crumbled bacon. See tips in notes for the jalapeños and bacon.
- Bake: Cover with foil, and bake for 40 minutes or until cooked through and internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F. Bake time will depend on the thickness of your chicken. To cook faster, feel free to cut the chicken breasts in half.
- Melt Cheese: Remove the foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes to melt the cheese. Garnish with extra sliced jalapeños and fresh cilantro if you like!
Jalapeno Popper Chicken Tips and Variations
This creamy chicken has quickly become a favorite in my family. It’s so easy to make but has the most amazing flavor! Here are a few tips and tricks to keep in mind for the best results!
- Chicken Thickness: I recommend looking for chicken breasts that are on the smaller and thinner side. They will cook through faster and more evenly than thick breasts. If yours are too thick, you can always cut them in half to have more uniform pieces.
- Check Temperature: Be sure your chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. This is especially important if you are cooking with thick chicken breasts.
- Cutting Your Jalapenos: When cutting jalapeños, carefully remove the stem first. Slice lengthwise down the middle of the pepper, and remove the seeds. This is where the heat comes from the pepper! Be sure to wash your hands well after removing the seeds. If you touch your eyes or face without washing your hands, it will burn and be very unpleasant. Feel free to use more peppers if you like it hot, or even keep some of the seeds you want it really hot.
- Bacon: To speed up prep, I always like to use pre-cooked bacon. It’s so easy to warm it up in the microwave and then crumble!
- Switching Cheese: If you want a cheesier flavor, swap your colby jack for shredded cheddar! And to kick up the heat, add in pepper jack!
Storing Leftover Chicken
Jalapeno popper chicken never lasts long at my house. After all the seconds and thirds, there’s nothing but cheesy sauce left in the pan. Lucky you if you have leftovers! Here’s how to store them for best results.
- In the Refrigerator: In an airtight container, your chicken will last for 3-4 days.
- Reheating: Reheat your chicken on a baking sheet in the oven for 10-15 minutes at 400 degrees F. You can also pop a piece in the air fryer for 5-10 minutes at 360 degrees Fahrenheit. Check that the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees F before serving.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Jalapeño Popper Chicken
- 2 pounds chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 2-3 whole jalapeños, seeded, diced (more or less to your liking)
- 1 cup Colby jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup cooked bacon, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Lightly spray a 13×9 inch casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Prepare the chicken breasts by removing any fat from the chicken. If the chicken breasts are thick, feel free to cut them in half if you need them to cook faster. Place the chicken breasts in the prepared dish. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add the softened cream cheese, sour cream, onion powder, garlic powder. Mix using a handheld electric mixer until ingredients are combined. Spread mixture over the chicken breasts.
- Next, sprinkle on the diced jalapeños, shredded cheese, and crumbled bacon. See tips in notes for the jalapeños and bacon.
- Cover with foil, and bake for 40 minutes or until cooked through and internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F. Bake time will depend on the thickness of your chicken. To cook faster, feel free to cut the chicken breasts in half.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes to melt the cheese. Garnish with extra sliced jalapeños and fresh cilantro if you like!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.